Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Mathew

The funny thing about the ego

The funny thing about the ego: This is a huge derrrrr on my part but it is funny how these things just come to me at the right time, synchronicity is a strange occurrence if you believe in it or not as it’s a fact of life for us all especially to those who are in tune.

OK I ruffle a lot of feathers at times, why? I don’t do it intentionally but quite by chance. This is where I’ve been a little wrong in what I have been saying about studying &/or reading on certain subjects like spirituality.

I have been on the forum of five sites, one science four spiritual, on all these sites I have said that if you read too much you’re blocking the inner knowing from coming forth & that was basically it which has caused a huge ruckus especially on the science site so you could imagine. This is the derrr factor on my part, it’s not the excessive reading of such material that’s the problem it’s the ego that comes along with it.

The more we read the bigger our ego gets consciously &/or subconsciously because you know you know what you know, it becomes quite obvious you know more than most others around you, this has caused instant denial & confrontational deliberations towards me because I didn’t elaborate enough. It’s quite obvious it would cause confrontation but why to the extent it has? Simple, the ego!!

Now I have been called a lot of different things on these sites one just recently was a know it all which psychologically says that the person saying this has quite a big ego problem because they are in denial of what I know because of their ego quite obviously. I have also said that I have had certain spiritual experiences but I say I haven’t read or studied a lot, this is going to hurt the ego even further.

This is the important part: Now the reason I have had certain experiences is that I didn’t have the ego to contend with. I know egotistical people are going to say that I have an ego problem; of course you will say that as it’s your ego making you think this way of others. My problem isn’t the ego but lack of confidence which can be as big a problem as the ego at times as all people with a disability suffer with this to some extent some time in their lives.

Yes I know I’m going on about myself & my disability again, it’s the ego coming out in me & of course psychologically egotistical people will say this!! The following is really going to upset some these people: I’ve worked in jobs able people wouldn’t do because it was too hard but what they didn’t realise is that I worked in these jobs with a fully dislocated elbow, I hid it quite well until I had a break down at work, it just came on me just like that.

Now if anyone who has had a broken bone or a dislocation would know the pain involved so how did I cope? Just by being in touch but as soon as I lost touch it was all too much for me & I know some of you will know what I mean when I say in touch.

This all seems like a heap of rubbish & of course I wouldn’t blame you for thinking that but believe me it’s true because I’m not the only one who has gone through this sort of stuff by far, in actual fact to some I’ve experienced nothing.

In all I’m sorry that I didn’t elaborate a little better when saying if you read too much you’re blocking the inner knowing from coming forth, I am but a mere human being after all!!!!

What’s now happening on this site is an ego battle; some just don’t want to accept others experiencing more than them or it goes against their idealism’s. We really do need to look inside ourselves before commenting to see why we are commenting in such a way!! The thing to remember is the more we know the more egotistical one can get, we need to all try to remember this.

Love all
Mathew
Old 25-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Henri77

I was just reading about an Indian woman sage-saint who though totally unschooled, could defeat well educated scholars ,in debate...with her intuitive understanding-knowledge of spiritual principles and sacred texts.

In fact many scholars consulted her, when aspects of sacred texts eluded their understanding.

This has no direct bearing.. yet, yes her loving humility allowed her access to
divine wisdom, while the egotistical scholars were limited to what they'd read.

I tend to agree ,massive knowledge makes acessing ones inner wisdom. perhaps more difficult, not so much (necessarily) due to ego, but a busy, analytical-cluttered mind.

A story about a saint illustrates this.
A learned scholar approached a saint and asked for illumination or wisdom,
I don't recall..... and the sage replied that his vast knowledge left no room for illunination, as his mind was full, and needed to be empty , to be filled with true-divine wisdom.

I took a workshop with Jean Houston long ago, a pioneer in consciousness research.... and she had us try spoon bending.
She confessed she couldn't do it, and found the university degreed participants had the least success, while those less intellectual, far more often succeeded.

No doubt ,children had the greatest success, as they had fewer limiting beliefs to overcome.

Yet Einstein , Tesla, while well educated , received inspiration that accounted for many-most of their discoveries.
Tesla said he received his inventions in an intuitive flash, complete with diagrams.
Einstein said imagination is far more important than knowledge ... something like that.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand"
Old 25-09-2012, 10:37 PM
amy green

Matthew - if I can make just 2 points that stood out to me from your OP:-

- on the thought that the more we read the bigger the ego gets....depends on what we read. There are lots of spiritual books that mention keeping the ego in check.

- "what's now happening on this site is an ego battle". Huge generalisation there. Yes, it often does but not always. I read lots of supportive and helpful interactions too - don't you?

Old 25-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Matthew - if I can make just 2 points that stood out to me from your OP:-

- on the thought that the more we read the bigger the ego gets....depends on what we read. There are lots of spiritual books that mention keeping the ego in check.

- "what's now happening on this site is an ego battle". Huge generalisation there. Yes, it often does but not always. I read lots of supportive and helpful interactions too - don't you?

I know of people who have read books to do with the ego & still think they know it all, it's not what you read but what you read or don't read into it.

Of course I didn't mean everyone on this site obviously, only a few in my view have an egotistical problem, this is how one can read into something that isn’t there. Most of the people on this site are genuine & I hugely respect.

Love
Mathew
Old 25-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi Matthew,
How does the ego manifest for you?
I know how it pops it head out in me!!!
Luv ya

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
I was just reading about an Indian woman sage-saint who though totally unschooled, could defeat well educated scholars ,in debate...with her intuitive understanding-knowledge of spiritual principles and sacred texts.

In fact many scholars consulted her, when aspects of sacred texts eluded their understanding.

This has no direct bearing.. yet, yes her loving humility allowed her access to
divine wisdom, while the egotistical scholars were limited to what they'd read.

I tend to agree ,massive knowledge makes acessing ones inner wisdom. perhaps more difficult, not so much (necessarily) due to ego, but a busy, analytical-cluttered mind.

A story about a saint illustrates this.
A learned scholar approached a saint and asked for illumination or wisdom,
I don't recall..... and the sage replied that his vast knowledge left no room for illunination, as his mind was full, and needed to be empty , to be filled with true-divine wisdom.

I took a workshop with Jean Houston long ago, a pioneer in consciousness research.... and she had us try spoon bending.
She confessed she couldn't do it, and found the university degreed participants had the least success, while those less intellectual, far more often succeeded.

No doubt ,children had the greatest success, as they had fewer limiting beliefs to overcome.

Yet Einstein , Tesla, while well educated , received inspiration that accounted for many-most of their discoveries.
Tesla said he received his inventions in an intuitive flash, complete with diagrams.
Einstein said imagination is far more important than knowledge ... something like that.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand"

That was quite informative Henri77, thanks for sharing....,the analytical mind is driven by the ego as most of what humans think & do are....once the ego is tamed the analytical mind becomes quieter thus less disruptive.

Love
Mathew
Old 25-09-2012, 11:02 PM
amy green

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I know of people who have read books to do with the ego & still think they know it all, it's not what you read but what you read or don't read into it.

Of course I didn't mean everyone on this site obviously, only a few in my view have an egotistical problem, this is how one can read into something that isn’t there. Most of the people on this site are genuine & I hugely respect.

Love
Mathew
Point taken about reading books. We may read good stuff only for it not to sink in or go over our head...
I guess timing, levels of awareness and even synchronicity play a part in how receptive we may be.

Nice to read that you positively validate this site...I love it!

Old 25-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Hi Matthew,
How does the ego manifest for you?
I know how it pops it head out in me!!!
Luv ya

That's a difficult question for I have never thought about it before!!!.....how do you think it pops out for me? I won't take offense I promise.

I don't even get a thrill out of helping others out anymore, it just is as if so what I would do it anyway..... I suppose through my humanly lack of self confidence. All human emotions have an ego aspect attached to it in some way but not all egos are bad as I do believe in the neg/pos aspects of the ego.

Love
Mathew
Old 25-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Point taken about reading books. We may read good stuff only for it not to sink in or go over our head...
I guess timing, levels of awareness and even synchronicity play a part in how receptive we may be.

Nice to read that you positively validate this site...I love it!

I'm sorry if I sound a little neg at times.....yes it is funny with the synchronicity thing, I can read something one day & the next day I will read something quite different in it because it obviously has synchronistic relevance. It’s nice to meet another person who understands synchronicity!!

Love
Mathew
Old 26-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Henri77

speaking of disabilities, limitations.... have you heard of Grandma Chandra
Multiply handicapped yet a world teacher- gifted healer when in her teens

pretty amazing tale .. she cannot walk or really talk, and communicates telepathically through her mother, and others she's taught to be telepathic, as translators

http://www.psychicchildren.co.uk/1-6...maChandra.html

"Chandra has also retained all the knowledge from her past lives and is able to communicate with dolphins, whales and ET's. She even told the audience at the conference that she was not human, but a 12th dimensional ET!"
Closed Thread