Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 22-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky
I think grasping at them is the source of religions but otherwise they seem to point to that which can't be grasped. A symbol or reflection of the truth that cannot be grasped.
That's how I see it anyways
From my perspective the notion of 'truth' is the issue. There are different modes of consciousness but one mode is not 'truer' than the others.
Old 22-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Master
One thing about the way the Buddha was reflected in the character after enlightenment as dispassionate bothers me and always has.
I can't imagine a state of being where you look at your wife as if she is not special to you. I can't imagine viewing your grandson in this manner either.
I wouldn't want that nor would I want to not desire my wife or enjoy a piece a cake over a piece of broccoli.
If anyone understands what I'm saying here, I'd be interested in your comments.
Thanks!

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Old 22-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Suspended
Ascender

That's why in the Palikanon there are monks and householders and the buddha gives different teachings to each of them.
Old 22-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Knower
Even a slice of pie comes form the cake. It too is impermanent. The essence of time / spaces is the appreciation both the value of having your cake and knowing you can make another if you eat it. When seen by this light, rebirth is not the process of consuming the cake, but both consuming and making a new variety. Your Grandson will die (impermanence), but the joy comes in knowing that the Yoga you did with him (union) is an ingredient from you he carries with him to the next life. You also carry him with you in the storehouse of collective memory gleaned from him (seed). Although you cannot remember all your past relatives today, your truth being in Sattva IS the storehouse. Read the opening lines of the Diamond Sutra.

Within Buddhism, there are many hidden truths that are there to keep you asking the questions. This is called great doubt, or the essence of continually questioning your previous false views. Each new insight then reveals another hidden piece of the puzzle. In the Diamond Sutra, the robe is his body he wears to birth into the material realm of Rajas and Tamas. He carries his bowl (mind) and goes with his assembly (family). Each generation into life is a new journey to beg for knowledge. When he returns, he hangs up the Robe, puts away the bowl and washes his free (karma on his seed / feet is euphemism for what is between the legs). He then sits with his assembly to learn what they have learned. You are never away from your family, only ignorant of what I just showed you here in Tamas. Take heart.
Old 22-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
That's why in the Palikanon there are monks and householders and the buddha gives different teachings to each of them.
As much as I know this, it is only now that I see that I unconsciously placed one over the other as if he was instructing householders as if to say.. you do this cuz there's not much else you can do, we'll get you in the next life... lol

Thanks Ground

Old 22-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDayAfterYesterday
Even a slice of pie comes form the cake. It too is impermanent. The essence of time / spaces is the appreciation both the value of having your cake and knowing you can make another if you eat it. When seen by this light, rebirth is not the process of consuming the cake, but both consuming and making a new variety. Your Grandson will die (impermanence), but the joy comes in knowing that the Yoga you did with him (union) is an ingredient from you he carries with him to the next life. You also carry him with you in the storehouse of collective memory gleaned from him (seed). Although you cannot remember all your past relatives today, your truth being in Sattva IS the storehouse. Read the opening lines of the Diamond Sutra.

Within Buddhism, there are many hidden truths that are there to keep you asking the questions. This is called great doubt, or the essence of continually questioning your previous false views. Each new insight then reveals another hidden piece of the puzzle. In the Diamond Sutra, the robe is his body he wears to birth into the material realm of Rajas and Tamas. He carries his bowl (mind) and goes with his assembly (family). Each generation into life is a new journey to beg for knowledge. When he returns, he hangs up the Robe, puts away the bowl and washes his free (karma on his seed / feet is euphemism for what is between the legs). He then sits with his assembly to learn what they have learned. You are never away from your family, only ignorant of what I just showed you here in Tamas. Take heart.

I often share with people that I have never known joy that compares to being a grandfather to my 4 little ones. Your post here carried that same joy for me.
Thank you!

Old 22-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Master
Quote:
One thing about the way the Buddha was reflected in the character after enlightenment as dispassionate bothers me and always has.
I can't imagine a state of being where you look at your wife as if she is not special to you. I can't imagine viewing your grandson in this manner either.
I wouldn't want that nor would I want to not desire my wife or enjoy a piece a cake over a piece of broccoli.
If anyone understands what I'm saying here, I'd be interested in your comments.
Thanks!

Pancavaggi Sutra Five Brethren, SN 22.59.
Old 23-06-2017, 03:48 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
As much as I know this, it is only now that I see that I unconsciously placed one over the other as if he was instructing householders as if to say.. you do this cuz there's not much else you can do, we'll get you in the next life... lol
It certainly can be interpreted that way and this is the interpretation preferred by monks who cultivate elitist thinking. But it also can be interpreted as just different teachings for different characters.

Liberation can mean so much. For buddhist believers it is liberation from literal rebirths. For non-budddhist believers in buddhas time it was liberation from only bad literal rebirths.
For some it may mean liberation from negative thinking or painful feelings or memories or fears. For others it may mean liberation from the conventional world as it appears to them. For others it may mean liberation from belief to enhance autonomy.

As their are as many kinds of liberation as there are individuals there are many kinds of views and instructions.
Old 23-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDayAfterYesterday
The Three Buffalo

The buffalo’s head sprouts horns
As he emerges from the weeds (relatives),
In a dream, he tries to speak
Of the valley of the timeless spring.
Although he has bathed in the fragrant waters,
I hit, saying, “Not Good Enough!
How will you impart strength to others?”

Buffalo one is a mud buffalo. It rears its horns as an uncontrolled Animal (OX) and appears covered in its own weeds. As it rises into Rajas from Tamas, it begins to enter clear water, rising off mud. The Water Buffalo is in a state of baptism, or entering the stream. From this, it reaches higher until it realizes something. It's Buddha Nature. From here, it becomes the domesticated White Buffalo, or the servant to the Family (BodhiSattva).

Compassion is imparting strength (previously uncontrolled) to others. Service. Each of the 10 OX herding pictures fit into this form 1 - 10, divided by the first 9 into threes. Tamas, Rajas and Sattva.

Baptism - clear vision.
Old 23-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
It certainly can be interpreted that way and this is the interpretation preferred by monks who cultivate elitist thinking. But it also can be interpreted as just different teachings for different characters.

Liberation can mean so much. For buddhist believers it is liberation from literal rebirths. For non-budddhist believers in buddhas time it was liberation from only bad literal rebirths.
For some it may mean liberation from negative thinking or painful feelings or memories or fears. For others it may mean liberation from the conventional world as it appears to them. For others it may mean liberation from belief to enhance autonomy.

As their are as many kinds of liberation as there are individuals there are many kinds of views and instructions.
Do you mean this in the way that everyone has that special something they need liberation from? Isn't liberation really just setting the mind free?