Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 30-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Kamal

How to redirect sexual energy?

I really want to stop masturbating. Or at least cut it down to maybe once every few weeks. I find no point in it. It makes me feel gross, despite the fact that its "natural." Lying down on bed pleasuring myself with inappropriate thoughts about others and objectifying them for pure sensual desire dosent exactly make me feel good, however the urge evidently is difficult to resist. Is there some kind of way to direct that energy towards something positive like motivation or physical energy? In which in wont be wasted and it will actually help me.

I know i'm young, but I see no reason to wait till im older to resist an action that dosent satisfy me anymore. The earlier the better right?
Old 30-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal
I really want to stop masturbating. Or at least cut it down to maybe once every few weeks. I find no point in it. It makes me feel gross, despite the fact that its "natural." Lying down on bed pleasuring myself with inappropriate thoughts about others and objectifying them for pure sensual desire dosent exactly make me feel good, however the urge evidently is difficult to resist. Is there some kind of way to direct that energy towards something positive like motivation or physical energy? In which in wont be wasted and it will actually help me.

I know i'm young, but I see no reason to wait till im older to resist an action that dosent satisfy me anymore. The earlier the better right?
First off, resolve your shame\guilt issues about it, or discover what issues you have with it that cause you to feel grossed out.
I mention shame and guilt because they are the usual suspects.

I am like you, I see no point in doing it, but I do so without the emotional backpack burdening me.

I've been celibate for over 10 years now and at the beginning of this year i went in even deeper and turned off all sexual activity.
Although I have been celibate for all those years, there were still several occasions per year that i would think sexually or masterbate.

So I was only 99.something% celibate.
Things had dramatically changed for me at the beginning of this year and I found myself in a life
where it was now possible to have a soul mate and I had to choose either a soul mate or dedicate myself totally to the celibate path.
After much ponderings of the pros and cons of both paths, I chose 100% celibacy, and it's been an enriching year thus far.

All habits are difficult to resist and change when one first embarks on the journey.
Inner conflict as opposed to total agreement of a decision is one of the difficulties.

Nothing wrong with desiring pleasure, I mean that's why sex is humanity's no.1 pastime.

But if the only reason you want to stop masterbating is because it makes you feel gross, than what if you resolve the issues that cause those feelings?
Will you not then continue to masterbate and enjoy the pleasure without the conflict manifesting as feeling gross?(you do classify masterbating as a negative thing)
This is why I recommend resolving the issues first, then you have a clear mind to make decisions.

As for directing energy into other areas...

"A Sufi teaching tells of the man who visited a great mystic to find out how to let go of his chains of attachment and his prejudices.
Instead of answering him directly, the mystic jumped to his feet and bolted to a nearby pillar, flung his arms around it, grasping the marble surface as he screamed,
"Save me from this pillar! Save me from this pillar!"

The man who had asked the question could not believe what he saw. He thought the mystic was mad. The shouting soon brought a crowd of people. "Why are you doing that?" the man asked.

"I came to you to ask a spiritual question because I thought you were wise, but obviously you're crazy. You are holding the pillar, the pillar is not holding you. You can simply let go."
The mystic let go of the pillar and said to the man, "If you can understand that, you have your answer. Your chains of attachment are not holding you, you are holding them. You can simply let go."

-------------------
"Mindfulness refers to keeping one's consciousness alive to the present reality. It is the miracle by which we master and restore ourselves." - Thich Nhat Hanh
--------------
I don't see it's about diverting energy towards other endeavours, which is a diversion avoidance tactic.
It's about self control. When you can peacefully and effortlessly choose what you will think, feel and thus do, that is how you channel energy into wherever you will.

You freely choose towards something instead of forcing yourself away from something.

Last edited by Mountain-Goat : 30-11-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 30-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Master

Hi Kamal,

"Sex" is a stupendous Force of activity that in one form is responsible for the creation of the Universe. In the form you describe it is a force that appropriates the individual being and uses that being for its expression. Of course, this is quite the reverse of conventional wisdom which assumes that participation in the movements of the lower nature are 'chosen' by us, but what is really happening is that we are unconsciously assenting to allow these forces to 'appropriate' the instrumental being and temporarily be its instrument. However, one can observe this when they 'get the urge'.

Just understanding that will help, but further, a displacement of that force, or ignoring it when it arises, or transmutation into higher forms of creativity and service are also strategies - even all of that simultaneously. A gradual but steadfast, vigilant and thorough purification is an effective approach taken by many.

Sri Aurobindo discusses many of these transformations that are necessary for spiritual progress on some (or many) paths, however accomplished, and he answers questions in that material about this issue. I would recommend
Letters on Yoga
Part Four, in particular Section III, Transformation of the Vital
The entire volume is available here for free:
http://sriaurobindoashram.info/Conte...0_Contents.htm

* "Letters on Yoga", are thousands of letters compiled by subject, that were written by Sri Aurobindo in response to actual inquiries made by his own disciples over many years, many of which were based on real and practical difficulties encountered in sadhana (spiritual practice), or need for clarification on abstruse and nuanced subjects. These letters were subsequently edited removing the personal content and published in 4 volumes that cover a wide range of spiritual topics.

~ J
Old 30-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Kamal

Carpark, I can't pinpoint the exact reason but I can try. Imagine if you have been eating a very healthy, unprocessed, clean diet for a year. Then one day you begin eating foods like oreos, doritos, chocolate, ect. You feel saturated, greasy, disgusting.
I havent been abstaining for one year but thats the only feeling I can relate it too.

I think my interest in eastern spirituality has to do with it too, or at least thats what other say.

I also tend to associate masturbation with other things that dont make me feel good like processed food, too much tv/video games, mindless sexuality, being mean/violent, ect.

and thank you jyotir, that was very enlightening :)
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Racer X

Quote:
I really want to stop masturbating.

Like any addiction a head on approach will likely fail......

Why?

As we try to conquer an addiction as if it were a problem, we give it power of belief and the power of belief is incredibly strong.

So how then???

Educate the Intelect so it will aid you, and train the body by focusing on the solution which will be taught in the education of the intellect.

Resourses:
"The Secret Of The Golden Seed by Richard Wilhelm"
"Sexual Energy And YOga by Elisabeth Haich"
"Pyramid Of Fire: The Lost Aztec Codex by John Major Jenkins and Martin Matz"

These works will lead to further study ...... follow your Intuitions as they emerge!

Or at least cut it down to maybe once every few weeks. I find no point in it. It makes me feel gross, despite the fact that its "natural."

The weak claim it to be "Natural" as too them it is. Question EVERYTHING!

Lying down on bed pleasuring myself with inappropriate thoughts about others and objectifying them for pure sensual desire dosent exactly make me feel good, however the urge evidently is difficult to resist.

The Energy "Must" be used...... and not repressed, so in this lies the dilema~ How do you use it properly without repressing it. Caution: The Catholic Priests often failed at this and thus it became twisted and demented(the abuse of defenseless boys)

You must "Acknowledge" its hold while asking for Divine Help in Overcoming the urge. This will take time to develop ......... great effort.

Is there some kind of way to direct that energy towards something positive like motivation or physical energy? In which in wont be wasted and it will actually help me.

Read the books given and work with what is taught ....

The younger you are the stronger the Energy is ...... the quicker and more intense the Transformation Experience is~

You may go through a shift and then many fall back.........

If this happens get back up again!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Master
Kamal... What you're describing is not really about sex, it's about addiction... being unable to stop a behavior pattern when you want to.

I suggest you do a search... look into books and programs about sexual addiction and how to get free of it.

Xan

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM
And I say masturbate all you want.
Focus your attention in the Third Eye region - make God your lover.
Be sure you are not just a river overflowing --- but that your banks are directing your flow...

God is ecstacy...bliss...albeit, not exactly or just physical -
but we are in the physical - imagine if you will this physical "bliss" as a shadow of what God's True Nature truly is.

A fingerprint left for us to remember Him by.

A breadcrumb; to find our way back to His Bliss.

....Or not...

Orgasm can lead you to profound vulnerablity and thus
get you in touch with your pain of separation and desire for Union...
not with a person - but your True Love.
Home...your Source and Birthplace.

My take.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 AM
dans

TRY?

Dear Kamal..

Just look at what you have written "but I can try." what do u mean u can TRY..TRY is a negative word..which makes u neither to do..nor to leave..

CAN U TRY TO LIFT A CHAIR? CAN U TRY TO LAUGH? in a similar way..either it should be done or it shouldnt be..both is in your hand..do it or leave it..

never TRY..

regards
Dans

Quote:
Carpark, I can't pinpoint the exact reason but I can try. Imagine if you have been eating a very healthy, unprocessed, clean diet for a year. Then one day you begin eating foods like oreos, doritos, chocolate, ect. You feel saturated, greasy, disgusting.
I havent been abstaining for one year but thats the only feeling I can relate it too.

I think my interest in eastern spirituality has to do with it too, or at least thats what other say.

I also tend to associate masturbation with other things that dont make me feel good like processed food, too much tv/video games, mindless sexuality, being mean/violent, ect.

and thank you jyotir, that was very enlightening :)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Master
it is more important for a male to preserve his essence/sexual energy than a female. sexual energy is not so easily lost by females and hence it would be difficult for a woman to know how this affects men. my experience is that the craving to masturbate is a direct result from overdoing the act itself, i.e. an empty base chakra leads to a fixation on it's qualities. it is important to break through the initial stages so that the craving will dimish.

i suggest doing some form of energy work like chi kung or tai chi to transmute the build up of energy you will experience. personally, after trying it many years ago i could never go back because it just makes me less of a "person". also i have m.e. so such energy, which can be channeled for healing and recovery, is very much needed.

i am not in a relationship at present and if i ever were this does not mean i wouldn't engage in sexual liasons, just that ejaculation is to be avoided. apparently you can orgasm without ejaculating, similar to holding back when you need to have a jimmy riddle!. in advanced tai chi one rule of thumb i heard was once in summer, twice in winter, peace n3

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Carpark, I can't pinpoint the exact reason but I can try.
You do so for your benefit Kamal. To understand why oneself believes such and such is more important that the belief itself.
If your goal is to abstain from things you do not like, self awarness, self understanding is a foundational must.
Quote:
Imagine if you have been eating a very healthy, unprocessed, clean diet for a year. Then one day you begin eating foods like oreos, doritos, chocolate, ect. You feel saturated, greasy, disgusting.
Understanding why you chose to begin eating the junk food will aid in future decisions
Quote:
My journey into eastern philosophy continues to teach me much that enables me to master myself.