Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 19-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Ascender
It's connected with the whole body.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Deactivated Account
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp...theory_of_mind
Old 30-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Master

It's because ordinary science is stuck thinking the brain is the mind(the real consciousness) that they can't find it's really the MIND controlling the brain.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Master
I think Chalmers 'zombies' re-enlivened the Cartesian notion of substances. On this forum it's mainly a Cartesian model where the mind/soul is a difference 'substance' to matter = There's the 'psychic substance' and the 'physical substance'. That is mind/body duality.

Chalmers introduced the notion of Zombies to revisit the notion of consciousness by saying the zombie acts just like any person, exactly the same behaviour in all respects, but isn't conscious of anything.

The question basicallt comes down to qualia - knowing what it's like - and Chalmers claims that the physical operations of biology can't explain how we know 'what it's like'.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
Old 30-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Suspended
Pathfinder

Hello All

Where is Consciousness..?...Everywhere

Consider : Whatever is known - experienced - imagined - it all,absolutely requires a Conscious Presence to facilitate that awarness - consciousness is the ability to Be Aware....

see then - all existance - absolutely vitaly without exception - requires this Conscious Presence in order to actualy know that very existance....Take away the Conscious Presence,and existance "stops",ceases to "Be",as indeed,there is nothng there to know that state of Being,that existance..We can safely say then,wherever there is "existance" thers is a Conscious Presence that KNOWS that existance - so,logically,ths Conscious Presence,does indeed,exist throughtout the entre Creation - it simply MUST do,for as we see,take away the Presence,the existance itself ceases to Be....

Consciousness does not exist within a brain alone - and neither does the brain and body exist within a material physical world around us....Rather,is is a case where both brain,and material world around us ,exist within Consciousness itself
Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 PM
TonyG

Yep this is a hot topic, especially for those who think that consciousness can be created by computers. I don't.
Some think we will understand consciousness in the next hundred years or so, because our understanding of the brain will be so much clearer, I don't believe we can ever truly understand what can't be seen under a microscope.

Like has been said, our mind is made of particles. Deeper still, vibrating strings, and these strings we can look at as energy.
Energy can never be made or die it just changes form, energy always is, energy is everything and we are made of that very same energy.

Consciousness, as has also been said is awareness. What is awareness? What are these moments of awareness we have? Constant sparks of energy?
A spark of energy is said to have started our universe, are we the consciousness of that spark?

So many questions arise from asking what is consciousness, it's a truly fascinating subject, we think we know it but we don't really have a clue what it is.

Where do I think consciousness is? Everywhere.

To quote Bill hicks

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.”
Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
This is a very hot topic at the moment..

Is it produced by the brain? Is it received by the brain?

Scientifically, is it possible to exist apart from the brain?? After the brain dies??

If it is produced by the brain after all, would that scupper the survival after death hypothesis??

A lot really rides on this doesn't it??
Waiting on science to resolve this might be a very long wait. Its just not the domain of science and that is sad to me. They seem to be satisfied with the brain theorized as a complex bio-transistor that miraculously develops an ability to develop a personality, self awareness, become it's own watcher, solve problems, develop a context of life/death, pain joy. Um huh, just like a transistor would.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokon
Waiting on science to resolve this might be a very long wait. Its just not the domain of science and that is sad to me. They seem to be satisfied with the brain theorized as a complex bio-transistor that miraculously develops an ability to develop a personality, self awareness, become it's own watcher, solve problems, develop a context of life/death, pain joy. Um huh, just like a transistor would.
Science is working its way through some fairly complex assumptions and is ever-so-slowly revamping itself based on what it finds around every turn. It's helpful to keep in mind that most of what we know about the brain so far is based on stuff that just surfaced within the last 50 years. I suspect it would be really tough to be a neuroscientist today based on the almost daily revamping going on in light of a persistent flood of new findings.

The "bio-transistor" thing may not last very long. They can look at it this way until the dam breaks and forces them to entertain a larger context. But to their credit, they're working with what they're currently able to validate and are not making things up to sound groovy.

I watch a lot of youtube videos of some of the top experts in the field and very few of the serious researchers are willing to speculate on what they can't prove. They leave that sort of thing up to philosophers who don't mind all the juggling that goes-on when specializing in speculation.
Old 15-11-2015, 01:43 AM
Master
Consciousness is everywhere and in everything. It isn't shaped by the body or mind and isn't 'inside us' to be found anywhere.

It's like an ocean of love and bliss that flows both within and without you (like George Harrison says).

Think of consciousness as being a thread upon which, human souls..like pearls are strung.
Old 15-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Master
Consciousness is 'that which knows', or I prefer, 'consciousness acknowledges'. It is already irrefutable. We then set about making a theory of consciousness; creating a model of it, and 'brain science' isn't an explanation for why or how there is consciousness, but merely an attempt to construct a 'neurological model' for mind

Max Plank said that we can not unravel the mystery because we are part of that mystery. He also said the universe was a 'matrix of mind'. Shrodinger (who's cat would do well on social media) said "consciousness is absolutely fundamental. It cannot be accounted for in terms of anything else. Plank: "I regard consciousness as fundamental". Feynman says of himself:

Out of the cradle
onto dry land
here it is
standing:
atoms with consciousness;
matter with curiosity.
Stands at the sea,
wonders at wondering: I
a universe of atoms
an atom in the universe.