Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 20-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Master
We survived the cold front. No babies lost!

Dotty hatched out yesterday. I got her and her babies out of their nest when it warmed up this morning and she abandoned them. You have to understand they need to get out with their moms so they can start eating or they will starve to death.

It's not surprising she abandoned them, it's not the first time. I raised her and her sisters, Sky and Summer from hatchlings so they don't have the natural instincts from babies raised by their own moms. She does great at laying and setting and hatching, but then after that it's a blank. I haven't let her hatch out for the past 3 summers. I thought maybe her instincts might have kicked in by now that she is 6 years old. Her sister, Summer is also sitting on eggs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed her instincts kick in this year.

Old Joe will take the babies that were orphaned when he gets home tonight. So there is no loss. They will survive.

It got down to 33 degrees last night (0.5C) and my moms did an excellent job keeping their babies warm. I think this is the last of the cold fronts for the year. See? We are making up for all that unseasonable warm weather we had in Feb and March.

If you hit rock bottom, start picking up rocks.
Old 21-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Experiencer

Good Morning everyone :)

Linen I am so happy they survived the cold, very good news yes hopefully that will be the last cold front for them.

Today I wanted to going through some of my sons clothes, taking some of the winter ones out and boxing them up, time for some shorts and T-shirts I think lol Today it is raining out, my cat is not happy about that, although i have never had a cat that will go out in any weather and he does

Enjoy your Sunday everyone, sending light and love faithy
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Good morning beautiful souls. Hope your enjoying your Monday morning ( ha, monday!) The weather has been awfully hot here, but what else is new. Last week of school for the boy. Now I have to figure out a way to keep them busy all summer. *bites nailes*.

Linen, congratulations to Dotty! Happy to read Old Joe is helping out with the whole group, my best wishes that the ducklings all survive. 33C sounds brrrr cold, I wish some Colorado air would sweep through the south to cool us down here!!

Happy Morning to you, Faithy. The North has the most beautiful spring and fall seasons, enjoy! This mother Hen has work to do, hope you all have a beautiful week going forward!!

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Master
Now Summer has hatched out. She hatched out yesterday. So I thought today would be the day to get her and her little ones out. Unfortunately temps today are only around 60 degrees (15C). And when I was scooting her little ones out there was still one straggler trying to escape his/her shell. I assisted his birth by cracking open his shell and allowing him to use his giant feet and push himself out of it. Otherwise I'm afraid he might have been shrink-wrapped and died (shrink wrap is when the membrane in between the shell and the egg white/and in my case duckling dries and sticks to the baby inside. It happens when they take an extra long time in escaping the shell) I put him in my brooder in the house and got Summer and her other babies (13 of them!) out to exercise. Summer was not happy with me but her instincts are kicking in! Yay! She was calling them getting them used to her voice.

She only wanted to stay out a few minutes and when I went back out she was inside her duckhouse (I had already cleaned it out thank goodness) calling her babies back in. Since it was so cold I allowed it. And I went and got her last late hatchling that I had stuck under my brooding light and tucked it under it's mom.

I just went out again this afternoon and got Summer and all 14 of her little ones out again for a jaunt around. She still has a tendency to want to take them inside the duckhouse which is repeating past bad behavior. The last one to hatch out this morning was out but wobbly on his legs. It would run a few steps then sit down, run a few steps and then sit down. For only that reason I allowed Summer to take her little ones back in. Tomorrow the newest addition will have stronger legs and I will make her stay out. And by then they should be more imprinted on their mom.

Normal behavior with my moms (in comparison to Summer) is I get the mom and babies out and they begin foraging, and exploring their surroundings. All my other moms are happy for my assistance and then to 'please let them alone to raise their young'. And they don't go back in till it's evening and everyone is tired and ready for supper and bed. Summer, on the other hand, wants to keep hers inside. But they can't eat or drink if kept inside. They have to be outside eating bug, grass and duck food that I have out for them. So I will see what happens tomorrow. If she doesn't get her babies to start eating/drinking I'll have to collect them and give Joe a call. I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Come on Summer!

If you hit rock bottom, start picking up rocks.