Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 19-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Experiencer
Death metal and spirituality

I avoid death metal music these days, in favor of more calm music, but I was researching what had been said about death metal and spirituality. I thought this may be of interest for those interested:

I found this article about a band mixing hindu mythology, philosophy and spiritual ideas with death metal. Unfortunately only half the article is available for free: https://www.teamrock.com/features/20...ritual-healing

Having seen and heard a lot of death metal using christian symbolism etc, I believe I am a little numb, and seeing death metal mixed with hindu philosophy was a very interesting experience. I have a deeper relation to the hindu philosophy, and the hindu-death-metal is more disturbing to me then the christian-death-metal.

(You may want to avoid the following videos if you are sensitive.)

Rudra - Hymns from the Blazing Chariot - Official (HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVvDOTxEb_Q

Dying out flame - Shiva Rudrastakam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjl1B-HcvbE

There is also a book (looks like it is based on a research project): Death Metal Music: The Passion and Politics of a Subculture By Natalie J. Purcell. Even the metal fans "who profess to adopt a Satanic ethical system do not behave accordingly." (and most Death Metal fans practice a Kantian and quasi-Christian ethical system) p. 166 (found it through google books).
Old 21-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Pathfinder

A few thoughts on my experiences with death metal and spirituality:

It feels very masculine, and even when played and written by women. Someone trying to tap into masculinity might gain insight from death metal.

Symbolically, it's like an externalized nightmare. Repression, alienation, tension, fear, violence and so on. This could be helpful if someone makes the connection between the music and some internal spiritual trauma.

It often feels like a blend of the primitive and the modern. The primitive comes through in the strong use of archetypes, the chanting, and the rhythmic drumming. The modern comes through as the human voice is so often straining to be heard through all of the industrial sounds; sonically, the beast is caged in a technological machine.

Unless one approaches it spiritually and/or artistically, it probably dulls spiritual sensitivity. So it's probably bad for most people most of the time.

I avoid it, but have occasionally tried to feel it and understand it.
Old 21-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Once I had an experience with Death Metal.
It was many years ago in 1980, and I was very drained and felt rotten after no sleep for two days. My friend was playing it and my whole body and mind felt it was absolutely horrible! What I needed, I was sure -was Bach Double Violin Concerto!
Then I lay on the floor and just let myself be taken into the rawness of it and the rhythm. And make no judgements from my character and personality.
Then I began to feel more energy as I related to the rhythm. It certainly was not soothing. It was energising. I lay there about half an hour and when I got up I had a good energy boost.
Old 22-10-2015, 04:05 AM
Experiencer

Wow of all the things I expected to see here on the forum this wasnt one of them!
Im a massive metalhead myself, people call me a bit narrow with my music choices, I tell them rubbish - thrash metal, speed metal, hardcore metal, doom metal, symphonic metal - See how varied my tastes are, I like a bit of everything!!!!! hahaha
But seriously, I find the music (which I got into in my teens and Ive never grown up....) to be very energizing, there is nothing quite like after a horror day at work to get into the car and blow your own head off with something meaty... I guess like all art its in the ear of the beholder, and for me it gives my energy a lift, clears out the cobwebs and makes me feel much more alive...
As far as the content goes people tend to get carried away with it, Satanists and music dont have as much to do with each other as people think, and a lot of metal is actually politically motivated, not so much inspired by dungeons and dragons anymore...
I dont find any conflict at all with my spiritual beliefs and the fact that I am an ever evolving soul, who just happens to be into tarot, dowsing, crystals and all the rest too numerous to mention and the fact that I love a bit of a headbang!!
As the lead singer of Slayer (a Catholic!!) himself said words to the effect of, if your looking to the lyrics of your music for your spiritual cues in life, you probably aint in very good shape...
Old 22-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Experiencer
It may be that the music reflects a genuine spiritual side. To my surprise many tracks have very deep texts, reflecting what it means to be a human, and I would even suggest it reflects the content of "the dark night of the soul ".
Old 22-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfPentacles
Wow of all the things I expected to see here on the forum this wasnt one of them!
Im a massive metalhead myself, people call me a bit narrow with my music choices, I tell them rubbish - thrash metal, speed metal, hardcore metal, doom metal, symphonic metal - See how varied my tastes are, I like a bit of everything!!!!! hahaha
But seriously, I find the music (which I got into in my teens and Ive never grown up....) to be very energizing, there is nothing quite like after a horror day at work to get into the car and blow your own head off with something meaty... I guess like all art its in the ear of the beholder, and for me it gives my energy a lift, clears out the cobwebs and makes me feel much more alive...
As far as the content goes people tend to get carried away with it, Satanists and music dont have as much to do with each other as people think, and a lot of metal is actually politically motivated, not so much inspired by dungeons and dragons anymore...
I dont find any conflict at all with my spiritual beliefs and the fact that I am an ever evolving soul, who just happens to be into tarot, dowsing, crystals and all the rest too numerous to mention and the fact that I love a bit of a headbang!!
As the lead singer of Slayer (a Catholic!!) himself said words to the effect of, if your looking to the lyrics of your music for your spiritual cues in life, you probably aint in very good shape...

I hate that kind of music , even though I don't mind some obnoxious guitar playing . What I don't do is judge people spiritually by what music they listen to . Music is a powerful force in this world, but people create it . People can be deeply influenced by music, but people also have the capacity to internalize music and determine it's effect on them, to the degree that they choose what works , musically and sonically, and integrate that into their psyche, and their internal spiritual makeup . So, what sounds like garbage to me, can sound , and BE something completely different , to you .
Old 22-10-2015, 09:15 PM
Experiencer

Amen to that swami, although I should come clean about one thing, along with the hairy chested stuff I do have a secret soft spot for Roy Orbison and Dusty Springfield... I guess at the end of the day if your preference is for Justin Timberlake or Cradle of filth then it's all about what works for you. I got nothing left to say now except Jiggy Jiggy Jiggy Jiggy Jiggy Jiggy Jiggy waaaahhh Wah Wah waaaaaahhhhhhh