Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 09-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Ascender
Comfort food is overrated

It's nearing the end of my 'six week no junk food challenge', and I have been reflecting on my results.

For six weeks I was to abstain from any kind of candy, chips, fries, fried foods or comfort foods of any kind, sodas, or anything overly processed. I also included anything from vending machines, fast food, or cafe type of restaurants. I also made the decision while at work, and promised to give a $100 dollars to anyone who saw me eating junk food. I suppose I chose that environment because just about everyone I work with sits at their desks, eats candy and junk food throughout day, and I found myself doing the same.

When I presented the challenge to my coworkers, just about everyone was baffled and thought this was a bit drastic, but to me being accustomed to challenges of this nature, I didn't think this would be all that great of a challenge. And as it so happens, I was right. It hasn't been without moments of temptation but overall it hasn't been that difficult as I thought it would be.

Now that I am nearing the end of this 40 day challenge, I would like to share some of my experiences in that some of you here may be inspired to try this for yourselves and see if you reach similar conclusions.

Why had I chosen Six weeks instead of thirty days? I find it takes me approximately three weeks alone to work out the logistical side of things and to adjust my routine accordingly. Right around six weeks is also when changes begin set in for me and I start seeing the effects with greater clarity. What that in mind, I recommend trying six weeks instead of 30 days.

Most of these effects have been subtle, so without exaggeration, here are some of the benefits I have experienced:

Slight Weight loss - It seems I have gotten skinnier without noticing.

Improved complexion - My skin just seems radiant and smoother, less shadowy if that makes sense.

Slightly happier and emotionally more centered - I can't explain why, I just feel a lightness in my spirit and outlook on life.

Slightly greater patience and gratitude - Again without trying I just feel more patient.

The greatest benefit of all I believe is that I feel I can continue indefinitely. I don't feel like I can't wait for this to be over.

Food feels less important - Some people have a zealous appreciation for food, but I am finding it's less important in my life lately, which makes me wonder if our society puts a high value on eating. It seems the people I work with are slightly food obsessed. Perhaps we use food to fill our lives with something meaningful, but never quite feel satisfied in the end.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Knower

My instructions point me to all of the "comfort" food. So I can identify the foods that i should avoid because of the directions for me losing my light in my imaginary troll association for retired criminals problems . its obvious often. Look for adjectives. Creamy is top to avoid. Juicy avoid juicy. Beefy is another.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Master
Thanks for sharing your experience. Interesting discoveries.
I avoid most of them too, but not as strict as you did..
Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 AM
Master
I find discomfort food overrated as well.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Thanks for sharing your experience. Interesting discoveries.
I avoid most of them too, but not as strict as you did..

It's a lot easier to be strict when I know it's temporary.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturewalker24
My instructions point me to all of the "comfort" food. So I can identify the foods that i should avoid because of the directions for me losing my light in my imaginary troll association for retired criminals problems . its obvious often. Look for adjectives. Creamy is top to avoid. Juicy avoid juicy. Beefy is another.

I have no idea what you're saying,
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
It's a lot easier to be strict when I know it's temporary.
Interesting. So what now?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Interesting. So what now?

Today was the end and I enjoyed some chocolate but I going to limit myself to one day a week for the time being.
Old 13-05-2018, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Comfort food doesn't always have to be "junk food". It can be things like a squash or leek and potato soup or stew with some toast, or mashed turnip and potato with gravy and some healthy protein. Think "winter foods"....those foods that bring comfort and warmth on a winter evening by the fire.

My top comfort foods are lentil stew with lots of veggies, toast, baked potatoes, etc. And for others, there might be different things. Doesn't always have to be food with minimal nutrition.

But I must say, a bit of the old choccy or a good old baked pudding now and again does no harm!
And with things like cake etc, there are also healthier options of something like a sponge cake or cheesecake etc. Just load it with lots of fruit....blueberries, bananas, strawberries and/or nuts etc.
Old 13-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Comfort food doesn't always have to be "junk food". It can be things like a squash or leek and potato soup or stew with some toast, or mashed turnip and potato with gravy and some healthy protein. Think "winter foods"....those foods that bring comfort and warmth on a winter evening by the fire.

My top comfort foods are lentil stew with lots of veggies, toast, baked potatoes, etc. And for others, there might be different things. Doesn't always have to be food with minimal nutrition.

But I must say, a bit of the old choccy or a good old baked pudding now and again does no harm!
And with things like cake etc, there are also healthier options of something like a sponge cake or cheesecake etc. Just load it with lots of fruit....blueberries, bananas, strawberries and/or nuts etc.

Tobi, those sound wonderful and delicious!

I would definitely consider those foods comfortable. To my good fortune, I was raised to eat lots of fruit and veggies. My mother didn't do a lot of things right but that was definitely one thing she did well.