Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Hypnosis

Old 20-09-2011, 06:16 PM
hawkmoth65

Hypnosis and meditation

Could someone please tell me the differences and similarities of these?

Thank you, Andy
Old 20-09-2011, 06:18 PM
hawkmoth65

Just some of the basics lol.Sorry,its a pretty big question.
Old 20-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Guide
They are both very similar but only in the techniques you use to get into that *meditative state* and that *hypnotic state* are pretty much identical and with that, both states are pretty much the same as well.

The reason they are different:
Okay so think of both states as the same.. Because they pretty much are.

When we are completely aware, we are on a boat, on a boat shaking because the water is very wavy. This water doesn't allow for peace of mind, and especially not for fishing. In order to calm down the water and balance ourselves, we throw an anchor into the ocean. (The anchor being our techniques used to reach this hypnotic/meditative state). Once the anchor is at the bottom and the boat is not shaking anymore, we can do two things.

One *Meditative*: We can sit on the boat and enjoy everything the world has to offer because there is nothing in our way, our boat is completely still, as we are with the world. Still in the present moment = Meditative state, Complete bliss.

Option Two *Hypnotic*: We anchored the boat and now the water is very calm below us. What do most people do on a boat? FISH! So we take out our fishing rods and throw our lines deep into the ocean, sometimes it gets so deep it even hits the bottom of the ocean! ... If you don't understand my metaphor: Once we aren't thinking instead still, we can now focus our attention on our sub/unconscious state of thought. The hypnotic state is meant to allow someone to dig deep down into themselves and understand themselves further. - There is much more to us then the quick responses and quick thoughts we make... People use hypnotic state in order to change themselves - don't eat as much junk food, stop feeling bad for myself, for even finding out the reason why I feel bad for myself..

The hypnotic and meditative states of awareness are both completely alike in how one might reach them, but completely opposite in what they do once they reach them. Meditative: Leaving the confines of your mind and feeling the world outside of thought (feeling energies).. While Hypnotic: Digging in deep within one self to find what energies and thoughts are lying in the mist.
Old 20-09-2011, 08:02 PM
hawkmoth65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorddy
They are both very similar but only in the techniques you use to get into that *meditative state* and that *hypnotic state* are pretty much identical and with that, both states are pretty much the same as well.

The reason they are different:
Okay so think of both states as the same.. Because they pretty much are.

When we are completely aware, we are on a boat, on a boat shaking because the water is very wavy. This water doesn't allow for peace of mind, and especially not for fishing. In order to calm down the water and balance ourselves, we throw an anchor into the ocean. (The anchor being our techniques used to reach this hypnotic/meditative state). Once the anchor is at the bottom and the boat is not shaking anymore, we can do two things.

One *Meditative*: We can sit on the boat and enjoy everything the world has to offer because there is nothing in our way, our boat is completely still, as we are with the world. Still in the present moment = Meditative state, Complete bliss.

Option Two *Hypnotic*: We anchored the boat and now the water is very calm below us. What do most people do on a boat? FISH! So we take out our fishing rods and throw our lines deep into the ocean, sometimes it gets so deep it even hits the bottom of the ocean! ... If you don't understand my metaphor: Once we aren't thinking instead still, we can now focus our attention on our sub/unconscious state of thought. The hypnotic state is meant to allow someone to dig deep down into themselves and understand themselves further. - There is much more to us then the quick responses and quick thoughts we make... People use hypnotic state in order to change themselves - don't eat as much junk food, stop feeling bad for myself, for even finding out the reason why I feel bad for myself..

The hypnotic and meditative states of awareness are both completely alike in how one might reach them, but completely opposite in what they do once they reach them. Meditative: Leaving the confines of your mind and feeling the world outside of thought (feeling energies).. While Hypnotic: Digging in deep within one self to find what energies and thoughts are lying in the mist.
Jorddy,this is a quite brilliant explanation and analogy,thank you.So the two states of awareness are the same,it just depends on what we do when we get to them.Just one more question though if its ok.Is it possible to set out to simply meditate but inadvertently slip into a hypnotic state?I understand meditation can normally be practiced alone,and if this were to occur hypothetically a state of hypnosis could ensue,leaving the subject unable to recover normal consciousness?
Old 20-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Guide
I'm here in the forums looking for guidance as well as answering questions that are posed to the best of my knowledge and intuition. Of course its fine to ask questions, as many as you'd like, not to just me but to everyone!

Haha I'm happy the analogy worked for you :P

Its most definitely fine to go from being in a meditative state of awareness into a hypnotic state of awareness. In fact, a lot of people do this. ≈ Sometimes I clear my mind completely, feel the world around me, gaze into the darkness of my eyes and once I lose all thought.. I ask myself a question that is posing difficulties in relation to my life. You ask yourself the question, then usually you get images / sensations / thoughts that spout out at you.

Meditative and Hypnotic states are meant to uplift one, show one a greater reality then they are living at the moment, either energy based or knowledge based, its all meant for inner growth.

No matter how deep into a hypnosis or meditation you go, you will always be able to come back whenever you wish. Sometimes your even pushed out (at least I am) when I reach certain progression because you can only acknowledge so much information in order to actually grow.

You are the creator of your world, you hold the key to all realities hence, you are the key master. You control every state you wish to be in, but lets not get confused because once you reach those states of reality, you get what you get... In other terms, you can induce these states on yourself, as well, leave these states with will.. But while in them, remember that they are reality.. The things that come up through hypnosis is reality, its all information that is a truth to you.

With hypnosis, you will see truths of yourself and from that, you can change/alter those truths to develop a better mentality / attitude / way of thinking. But the foundational truth that is from your unconscious or subconscious, is a truth.. Its not fiction even though you can change it.

Meditation, you feel energies - you feel your energies and you feel the worlds energies. You see images of the world and yourself, from these energies manifesting, you sense these energies. These energies are truth, they are reality. But from that reality, you can as well (like hypnosis) change / alter your energy in conjunction to the world around you to produce different senses. When I say energy I mean your vibrational frequencies.

Each dimension is a reality that holds every truth of the present. Every second is the present so in turn, every second you can change. Never get pushed down by seeing the truth that is held within the present.. Always remember you can change/alter it in any direction you wish.

You are the master of these dimensions but these dimensions are reality and hold truth.
Old 21-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Medium_Laura

Jorrdy nice going :) I also do guided meditations which are in fact "hypnosis" but only I talk you through the visualizations, what you see is all up to you. :) Self-hypnosis = meditation. hypnosis - usually done with someone guiding you in person or voice.