Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 25-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Master
Vegetarianism is very easy so if you fail and get ''malnourished'' you're doing something wrong, especially if you notice issues after a mere one month. Your social circle and society might be of influence, giving you a hard time what to replace meat with etc. I mean you mention 'protein pills'.. this is rather desperate. You do know you can eat a whole variety of beans, nuts, and as a vegetarian also eggs and dairy.

And what hunter gatherers did just isn't relevant any more and hasn't been for many areas in the world for thousands of years now. People here also mention weight loss.. this is only relevant to people who are overweight. I have always had a healthy weight and vegetarianism didn't make me lose weight. I actually gained weight but not fat.
Old 25-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Vegetarianism is very easy so if you fail and get ''malnourished'' you're doing something wrong, especially if you notice issues after a mere one month.
100% true. I have had to adjust my diet several times; my body knows when it needs something specific and I just add it. I had to do this last month in fact, all I did was add a half-scoop of raw organic vegan protein powder to my smoothies and poof... body happy, problem resolved. This isn't some huge and critical issue with being vegan, people over-think when it comes to things or they have a specific nay-say agenda, simple as that.
Old 25-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
My experience is that only a limited number of the population does ok with vegetarianism and even a smaller number with outright veganism.
Your experience Lucky? And what's that? You're a hunter. My buddy in the 90s was a hunter. We're not buddies anymore because all his buddies are hunters, and I'm not one. That's how life rolls.

Your experience then is you live in an area where people hunt, and all your best buds are no doubt hunters and steak-eaters. In other words, that's your level of experience and expertise on the subject of vegan diets.

Seriously man, I couldn't even type the words, "From my experience with hunters..." because I couldn't keep a straight face. I'm as much an expert on hunters as you are on eating a vegan-only diet for 12 years.
Old 25-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Master
Something to consider.. vegetarianism has been around for thousands of years. In some places (Asian countries) it's been the norm for a long time, probably thanks in large part to a handful of people that attained something spiritually profound, and people saw that and with it a change of diet occurred on a larger scale. One can only hope a few people here and there in Europe and the US could reach that level and it would transform society and have lasting impact for centuries/millennia to come.

Also in other places such as the Middle East and Northern Africa vegetarian food was/is the norm because meat was/is expensive for a lot of people. Now of course most people here are not ethical vegetarians, they eat fish or meat if given the opportunity but many were/are practically vegetarians. I have been to such countries and it's very easy to get all your needs there on a veg diet. Europe has a history of vegetarian groups as well. A few people here and there might not do well on a vegetarian diet, but to say only a limited number do well is a huge stretch. Many people throughout history have lived healthy and reached old age with this diet. It's much more parsimonious to assume that it is a limited number that don't do well..

As some of you may know.. species, humans included, change much faster than most of us assume. In a XX thousands of years many of us have become lactose tolerant. In a matter of centuries we've gotten much taller on average and our teeth have changed, many people now have overbite. We change... as is our 'need' for meat and our capacity to live without it. Nature isn't fixed.. it's a work in progress..
Old 25-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Something to consider.. vegetarianism has been around for thousands of years. In some places (Asian countries) it's been the norm for a long time.
You keep posting these simple yet profound truths.

So much of this has to do with what can be described as the West's ignorance and hubris. Westerners will say anything in defense of their planet-destroying lifestyles (climate change is a hoax!), and their unconscious and unhealthy (and planet-destroying) diet choices. Because, hey, it's a free country, and they have the right to do and eat what they choose while they middle-finger the environment and nature. Not to mention the right to be obese and to die of bowel cancer.

That truly is the level of awareness most Westerners operate at. And it's why forum "conversations" on this topic generally have about as much depth to them as a puddle after a sun shower. "We are omnivores, so it's perfectly correct to kill animals and eat them." Oh okay, right, when you toss all logic and honesty out the window, I understand exactly what you mean.
Old 25-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Thanks everyone for the encouraging responses.

I will think about planning on vegetarianism once more when time comes.

Actually, thanks to one of the commentators, I should be honest and true to what my soul desires - if I love meat, I should eat it regardless of the ethical/moral motives.
Old 26-10-2018, 02:14 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
You keep posting these simple yet profound truths.

So much of this has to do with what can be described as the West's ignorance and hubris. Westerners will say anything in defense of their planet-destroying lifestyles (climate change is a hoax!), and their unconscious and unhealthy (and planet-destroying) diet choices. Because, hey, it's a free country, and they have the right to do and eat what they choose while they middle-finger the environment and nature. Not to mention the right to be obese and to die of bowel cancer.

That truly is the level of awareness most Westerners operate at. And it's why forum "conversations" on this topic generally have about as much depth to them as a puddle after a sun shower. "We are omnivores, so it's perfectly correct to kill animals and eat them." Oh okay, right, when you toss all logic and honesty out the window, I understand exactly what you mean.

I find that conversations with non-vegans run pretty much the way you've described Baile. It's heartbreaking on so many levels.
Old 26-10-2018, 02:22 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Check online, there are all sorts of articles on the subject, even from holistic health sites, confirming that human beings are omnivores. But it's immaterial. If we were raised by drunks and became alcoholics in our 20s, it doesn't change the fact that the decision to get sober is a healthy and positive life-choice.

EDIT: Okay and yes, some of that was in fact autobiographical. But my dear mother bless her didn't drink, I need to make that much clear!

I'm not surprised you found posts that say we are omnivores. This is a habit that is very hard to break and people will 'got to the mat' for the sake of their food. Because it's not solely a question of avoiding starvation. It also incorporates nutrition, history, habits, culture and family traditions.

We may survive eating meat, but when you look at the effects it has on our tissue (inflammation that only subsides as we've completed metabolizing it) , plus all the physiological points (teeth shape, gastric acids, etc.), none of that says eating meat is what our bodies should be doing.

Dr. Greger does a good job of explaining how your body reacts when you eat meat.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2012/09/2...-inflammation/
Old 27-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
I'm not surprised you found posts that say we are omnivores.
Debrah, there are holistic health sites that say that.

Not that it matters. Like I said previously, the only relevant observation is that material thinkers and self-serving individuals are incapable of and unwilling to elevate these discussions into the realm of true soul-spiritual conversation. Rather, they use these sort of banal "facts" as an excuse to justify their nature-killing and environment-destroying actions and lifestyles.

Think about it: we go back and forth here, having our little online tiffs about "whether or not omnivores." Correct or incorrect, this "fact" is irrelevant to a true discussion -- a spiritual discussion -- on the evolution of human-soul-spirit consciousness and karmic/moral responsibility. Because the real and actual "facts" are that tens of millions of animals each day continue to be tortured just so the unconscious and uncaring masses can enjoy their 99 cent burgers. And in the process the environment -- this planet, our home -- is being decimated. People with spiritual understanding, see this and are trying somehow to take responsibility, trying to change all of this, trying to wake others up. For everyone else though, Nero fiddles and the planet burns while they blithely stuff their faces.
Old 27-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
I find that conversations with non-vegans run pretty much the way you've described Baile. It's heartbreaking on so many levels.
Debrah, there's a CNN video of reporters interviewing a person running for the Senate. They're asking her questions about her position on health care and medicare and what not. She gets all frustrated and says, "Don't waste my time with your media-agenda questions, let's discuss the real issues... like the caravan that's coming up from Central America."

Yes, let's not talk about real and actual soul-empathy topics having to do with our human collective; let's deflect by bringing up manufactured self-serving materialist-racist fear-mongering nonsense.

This is the level of ignorance and flat-out dishonesty that we are dealing with when discussing this topic with people who defend the status quo by arguing, "We're omnivores so it's okay." If it wasn't for the fact that things are reaching critical mass due to self-serving duplicity of this sort, it would be burst-out-laughing hilarious. You are saddened by it, and I am disgusted by it. Lies, dishonesty and deceit, when people know they are doing it, disgust me.