Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 15-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Experiencer
Snake Symbolisn/meaning

I don't really know much about the symbolism of snakes, or what they herald, and most of what I find online is just parroting each other, with no real answers or insight. I'm looking for information on the appearance of snakes IRL, if possible, and possible connections for colors, or species.

Reason: I just found one. Under my bed. It's 12:47 AM, I'm getting ready to go to bed, and as I am fixing my sleeping mat (I'm sleeping on the floor, bed is in storage for moving), I lift up the sheet to tuck it under, and I find a little tiny red snake coiled up right under the edge. Whaaa-?? Instead of freaking out, I scoop him up in a bowl as nicely as I can, show my roommates what I just found, and then go release him outside. Such has been the evening, apparently.

I have no idea where little brother came from, or what he is, but I think he was a Red Racer, because he was indeed the prettiest red I have ever seen.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys, I am looking forward to hearing what you got! =)
Old 15-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Suspended
To the Hopi and for my people as well, Snakes are associated with lightning. That is because we see them out in the hot summer months. Summer is the thunder season here in the Desert Southwest, and the storms bring much needed rain. Today, as in the past rain water is used to irrigate our crops (corn). Thus you can see the important meaning of these storms, and the appearance of snakes.

The Hopi consider snakes as messengers to the under world, and use snakes in ceremonies to this day.
Old 15-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Experiencer
Thanks, Thunder Bow. Cool information, and good to know. =)
Old 17-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Sirenophilia

Wow! That's awesome. :)

Snake is rich in much symbolism and meaning. There are a lot of different ways to look at it.. but I would say that it is most often associated with transformation (sometimes transmutation). Mostly because of how snake sheds it's skin, and goes through a small "rebirth" with that process. Snake came to me right during an enormous "shedding" of my old life, and was a powerful symbol for guiding me through that process.

With a symbol of transformation underneath your bed.. your resting place.. that might be saying something about "resting" or "sleeping" and "transformation".. might be something to explore. :)
Old 17-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Hypnoticalec

The symbolism on top of the list for snakes is deceitful and consequently smart.
Old 20-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Experiencer
Sirenophilia: I... I never thought about it that way. And from the way it resonated, I think you are on the right track with what he meant. At the time, I was working on moving to a new town, new job... new everything, pretty much, so... yeah. Good catch!!
Old 20-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
Snakes also represent water, healing as well as re birth.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 20-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoiyi
Snakes also represent water, healing as well as re birth.

Makoiyi

Ya'at'eeh, good to see you are still here!
Old 25-11-2014, 01:45 PM
eileen rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki
I don't really know much about the symbolism of snakes, got! =)

Satan is from our modern day viewpoint, a dinosaur (dragon of old).

Every culture on earth, besides the Christian one, which is the one we live in currently (if you live in the West), worshiped demons via shaman useage.

Demons are powerful entities and can induce healing and other such matters (some are referred to as gods).

Modern day naming (and our highly overrated scientific models/education on such matters) says they are just snakes. Why worship, or spend any energy, on something that eats rats?

Just saying, a neglected education (i.e. one that actually believes what we get taught here) is naive...and probably going to end up, being quite dangerous (to have), when this all comes out (which it apparently is doing).

People are figuring it out....via the internet. Exchanging information that has been neglected, for eons.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Pathfinder

Snakes are symbols of change and healing, rebirth into new powers of creativity and wisdom.

In the constellation or the sign Ophiuchus/The Serpent Holder....Ophiuchus isn't wrestling this snake; it's his animal totem

Tavah/gray feather