Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM
boyd8

only one

Hi, I am wondering, if you had only one book on buddhism which one would you choose? I am going to Thailand for the winter and will spend a lot of time without electricity. Something that can be read and reread.
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Master
In my current understanding of Buddhism , the best teacher is yourself ........you are open book , nature are open book and Buddhism in my current understanding is realization on ownselves as anything or everyting is a great source to learn ....is always your will to learn not the material to learn ...................as there is nothing referral to Buddhism
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM
boyd8

You have much to learn grasshopper.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 PM
boyd8

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! Anyways here are the hard copies I will be taking, Zen mind beginner mind, No time to lose, Dammapada, Zen buddhism, selected writings by DT Suzuki. I have many more on my kindle but when I go to temples there is no electricity.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 PM
boyd8

CSEe, You are incorrect without teachers we know nothing. Here is my example, if I asked you to build a chair that would last 100 years could you do it? Unless you are a trained carpenter the odds are against it. It is through teachers that you could learn about joinery which would make this possible. The same applies to Buddhism.
Good bye
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd8
Hi, I am wondering, if you had only one book on buddhism which one would you choose? I am going to Thailand for the winter and will spend a lot of time without electricity. Something that can be read and reread.
Thanks!

"Don't Take Your Life Personally" by Ajahn Sumedho is the book I'd choose.

Hope you enjoy your time in Thailand !

Sam.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd8
CSEe, You are incorrect without teachers we know nothing. Here is my example, if I asked you to build a chair that would last 100 years could you do it? Unless you are a trained carpenter the odds are against it. It is through teachers that you could learn about joinery which would make this possible. The same applies to Buddhism.
Good bye

Thats so true if you assume Buddhism is knowledge ......yes in human culture knowledge is learn from the one who knows more than us ....but dear sir is Buddhism knowledge ? In my current understanding , Buddhism is beyond knowledge...is not something you already know or something you wish to know ...is realization on yourself , your existence , the cause of your existence , and the end of yourself...........all living or non-living , anything / anyone is same and equal source of learning for you .........Dalai Lama is same and equal with anyone you know , same as the pen on your table or dirt under your shoe ...all is same and equal "teacher" to you ......is all your will to learn ........

Perhaps is realization , is you discovering / experiencing / knowing your emotions and all is just a source of information ...is always you with your will , in the journey of your choice in your world ........
Nothing is referral to Buddhism , as Buddhism is your own realization on yourself .
I hope to discuss with you more for my better understanding

Last edited by CSEe : 11-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:49 AM
sahaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
Thats so true if you assume Buddhism is knowledge ......yes in human culture knowledge is learn from the one who knows more than us ....but dear sir is Buddhism knowledge ? In my current understanding , Buddhism is beyond knowledge...is not something you already know or something you wish to know ...is realization on yourself , your existence , the cause of your existence , and the end of yourself...........all living or non-living , anything / anyone is same and equal source of learning for you .........Dalai Lama is same and equal with anyone you know , same as the pen on your table or dirt under your shoe ...all is same and equal "teacher" to you ......is all your will to learn ........

Perhaps is realization , is you discovering / experiencing / knowing your emotions and all is just a source of information ...is always you with your will , in the journey of your choice in your world ........
Nothing is referral to Buddhism , as Buddhism is your own realization on yourself .
I hope to discuss with you more for my better understanding

Did you come up with this on your own?
I'd say you've got it right but it's probably closer to Primordial Dzogchen than to classic Buddhism.

Teachers can only point the way, the rest is disciple. I prefer shortcuts myself so a teacher can be handy and apparently i have a background in tantric yogas which can be dangerous enough with the guidance of a teacher and much more so on one's own. I got into and caused a lot of trouble in this lifetime for the lack of knowledge about about the 'fruits' of yogas i'm thinking must have come from practice in a previous life. I didn't go looking for my Teacher, he found me. I wouldn't have a teacher at all or been interested in Buddhism otherwise. But i still would have been Dzogchen. Could be this isn't your first time around either with these things.

And i still won't debate Buddhism. I know nothing about it.

Primordial Dzogchen is all realization, not knowledge.
Old 16-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahaja
Did you come up with this on your own?
If you accept it as a knowledge , than is yours ...so sorry in advance is my current understanding...base on my realization during my journey call life ...
so is not something that I own but if something that I realized ........and never be part of me or mine .......

I'd say you've got it right but it's probably closer to Primordial Dzogchen than to classic Buddhism.

Teachers can only point the way, the rest is disciple. I prefer shortcuts myself so a teacher can be handy and apparently i have a background in tantric yogas which can be dangerous enough with the guidance of a teacher and much more so on one's own.

If you assume Buddhism is a form of knowledge YES is true that in human culture knowledge is something that we could learn from someone that know more than us ...and if we know more than others we could teach them ...just like if you good in sport , you could be a trainer , if I am good in science and got phD , I can teach you about science ......but in my current understanding , Buddhism is beyond knowledge , is not something you know or something you wish to know or something you must know ...is realization on yourself , your emotions leading to acceptance of your existence .......so everything or anyone regardless living or non-living regardless Dalai Lama or the pen on your table is SAME and equal great teacher ...but no one could possibily have any reason to teach others .....so my dear friend , can you ask your teacher what is his reason teaching you ?

To me currently he is always my teacher but I will never have any reason to teach others ....

I got into and caused a lot of trouble in this lifetime for the lack of knowledge about about the 'fruits' of yogas i'm thinking must have come from practice in a previous life. I didn't go looking for my Teacher, he found me. I wouldn't have a teacher at all or been interested in Buddhism otherwise. But i still would have been Dzogchen. Could be this isn't your first time around either with these things.

And i still won't debate Buddhism. I know nothing about it.

Primordial Dzogchen is all realization, not knowledge.

Debate in Buddhism to me is a great process of learning , is exploration into own realization and is not comparing knowledge ...as I could learn from your question , from my answer to you or from your reply...to me currently , Buddhism is beyond knowledge , is not something you learn to know and gain the knowledge from what you have known ...but is to realize what you do not know , or what you know and free of it ...not keeping it but is liberation from it ...................
Old 20-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Pathfinder
'Buddhism With an Attitude' by B Allen Wallace... this is what Buddhism is all about , training the mind. you can get a hard copy used here for $8.50 used

at Amazon books