Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 AM
CarryingEagle

Ancestors.

I have recently traced my ancestors back quite a few hundred years and found out that I am the direct ancestor of (french explorer) Jean Nicolet and his half breed daughter (Nip issing). I cannot get much information about Jean's wife. I only no that she was from the Nip issing tribe (although her mother was said to be Huron which confuses me because dosent the husband move in with the wife in Amerindian culture?).

If anybody can help me learn more about my ancestors (or even help me find out what clan she was from) I would be greatfull.

Also, any info based on the Amerindian point of view about Jean would be much appreciated? Basically wondering if the Indians respected or hated him?

And one more question... If I could prove that these are my ancestors would it be possible for me to visit a reservation (as a guest of course).
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Suspended
I am Navajo (Dine') thus I can not help with your eastern nation research. You can visit my reservation (Dine' Bi'keha) any time you like. Even if you are of mixed blood. No papers required.
Old 15-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Raven Poet

Hi Carrying Eagle. I'm glad you are searching for your roots!

I checked out their website - wow, it sounds like a thriving community they have!
http://www.bobgoulais.com/index.php/...-first-nation/

Also, the auto asterisk in this forum is still troublesome - it won't let the spelling of the Nation's name be displayed. But you put it as "Nip issing" - that worked.

I'm sorry I can't give you any concrete help - but I just wanted to say hello and encourage you to keep digging! (Also, loved Thunder Bow's playful response. No papers required - harharhar!)
Old 22-02-2015, 01:31 AM
CarryingEagle

It turns out it is rumored that her father was a chief and a brave. No solid info though. Perhaps one day I will visit the Rez of my ancestors tribe and hopefully some info was passed orally through the centuries.i think that is the only way I can find out for sure.

Does anybody know how I can contact the Nip issing Rez? I would like to visit but I don't know how/who to contact to do so.
Old 22-02-2015, 04:36 AM
Raven Poet

I posted the link to their website in the post above you. Were you not able to open it?

Just a friendly piece of advice too: I'd be cautious using the word "brave". I think that's a European term ... I've never heard any Indigenous person call another Indigenous person that. It might cause some trouble using that term in Indigenous communities. Some people find it as offensive as the ugly n word. Just an FYI!
Old 25-03-2015, 11:27 PM
CarryingEagle

Sorry bout that... I thought it was an honorable title but I can understand now why it isn't. To be honest I never thought of it like that...

And for some reason the link said it had expired but I believe I found the page u sent.

What should I do... call the number?

Thanks.
Old 26-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Experiencer
If you don't feel like calling the number, look around. There is usually an email you can send to, if that is more your speed and comfort zone. There may be a section of the website that is specifically for ancestry searching.

And yes, to second Raven Poet, "brave" is not so honorable. "Warrior" is a generally more acceptable term. And also, if you can, stay away from "squaw", from what I understand. If I was told right, was a not-very-nice term for a native female, particularly one who had or was bearing children.