Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 15-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Newbie ;)

What to do when mind gets agitated?

Hi Everyone,

I am working meditation for past 2 weeks. Before starting meditation I have mild form of anxiety and depression. Practicing meditation helped me to deal with many thoughts. But some times it stays and become impossible to deal with mind depression. During this time I won't be able to focus much on my work or studies. My question is how do I deal with these negative thoughts? What should I do during this period?

Thanks
Mike
Old 15-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Seeker
I ask the same question as well.
Haven't been able to function normally in society for over 3 years now because of anxiety and depression.

Also sometimes my anxiety gets so high or depression thoughts keep coming through that it is impossible to even start meditating.
Old 16-11-2016, 03:36 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeclarks
Hi Everyone,

I am working meditation for past 2 weeks. Before starting meditation I have mild form of anxiety and depression. Practicing meditation helped me to deal with many thoughts. But some times it stays and become impossible to deal with mind depression. During this time I won't be able to focus much on my work or studies. My question is how do I deal with these negative thoughts? What should I do during this period?

Thanks
Mike

Brother MikeClarks,

Just sincerely observe your breathe how breathe in and breathe out in noble silence. Don't try to fight with thoughts. either you do this meditation in thoughtless state again and again, or let thoughts pass through. Just observe breathing how deeper it goes and come out from.

Of cource this observation too is mindfulness but relaxing your mind in ease and making your mind strong.

Your sitting should be very simple. Your sitting be cross leg on 2.5 inch sitting mat or on bed not much cotching. your trunk neck and head be aligned in one line as if your spine is one scale.

Eagle rise and fly in the sky in unconsciusness. There is still stillness beneath their wings. This still stillness is abode of meditator.

May God Bless You Peace, Harmony and rescue from depression & anxiety. Don't stop medication too.
Old 16-11-2016, 05:49 AM
Experiencer

Have you tried hypnotherapy, they say it can cure anxiety, traumas and depressions.
Old 16-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Mike

What kind of meditation are you doing, Mike?
Old 16-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Pathfinder
re: what to do when mind gets agitated

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Mike

Being able to meditate and still the mind can be hard to do at first. But perseverance will pay off.
We are so used to having an active brain, it dosnt like it when we try to relax and tries as hard as it can to stop us. A lot of times, thoughts will keep interrupting and we know we didn't put them thoughts there, legs might start getting restless, coughing, or itchiness, anxiety or feeling of needing empty bladder.

Try not to force yourself to meditate, if you cannot relax then stop and try again later. Otherwise youll end up stressing yourself out, and creating a headache.

When the thoughts appear, just acknowledge them and let them go *thank you for the thoughts, I no longer need you* or *thank you for the thoughts, ill deal with you later* and youll find, the thought will disappear and a new one will show itself, keep repeating until there is no more thoughts. If a thought just keeps nagging and refuses to go, then you need look at it, maybe its trying tell you something.

Try to wear light colour clothes, like purple mauve, light blue, pink for meditating as these colours can help calm the mind and body

Do not wear anything yellow as this colour increases brain activity, which yellow is fantastic to wear when doing exams or anything where you need be able focus and think. Also do not wear red when meditating, this colour increases energy and blood circulation, gets the adrenalin pumping.
Old 19-11-2016, 04:46 AM
Experiencer
how long does your meditation session last?
i find that for me it takes about 30 minutes to calm the mind chatter
after the 40 minutes mark, 50+ I can really say I am 'in the zone'. the more I stay, the more deep i feel i get into. hard to expain it, hope you understand what I mean.

I also heard that the more often you do it, the faster you calm your mind chatter/agitation. like those monks that meditate many hours per day, they can get into the meditative state that takes me nearly 1 hour, they get in it in just a couple of minutes. and they might even be 'deeper' that me.. so it makes sense.
Old 19-11-2016, 05:08 AM
Knower

Every time I get a thought that's negative or just plain distracting, I imagine it being carried away or covered by something. I don't force it out. Instead, I just let it linger for as long as it takes to go away.
Old 19-11-2016, 06:07 AM
Master
How I see this;

Most people see meditation as a thing they must 'do' or an act they must perform and not a natural, beautiful state we've simply moved away from - just lost focus/touch with.

Meditation is like connecting with the true essence of being and being supported and sustained by it - it isn't about sitting cross-legged focusing on the third eye - but that can help too...in some cases...

When I am otherwise 'mentally occupied' it helps me to try and relax my body first and then my mind usually follows. I do what I was taught to do since day 1 - bring my whole focus and awareness back to my breath...which nostril is predominant in the flow? how deep is it going? is it fast or slow? does this area have much positive prana? (life force) etc

After a while of closing my eyes and focusing on the space where the air touches the inside of my nose to become the breath, I'm usually fine.

Other things help too...listening to Moody Blues, rubbing my throat chakra with pure violet oil...wearing my rudraksha...praying to Shiva first and doing certain Mantras...

Yeah, Mantras help with this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahamrityunjaya_Mantra

There's mine.
Old 23-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Pathfinder

The mind is an amazing organ. It learns how to do things and can do it easier and more efficiently as time goes on. Unfortunately this is a double edged sword because it learns thought patterns such as depression and then it becomes more easy for the mind to become depressed. I myself have suffered from depression and anxiety for a long time. The panic attacks came sporadically at first and then came more frequently and with less triggers. The good news is I am learning you can train your brain for other thought patterns. Meditation and exercise is helping with this, as is of course medications prescribed by my doctor. Thoughts are neither good nor bad. They are not real things. Acknowledging them and letting them go helps take away their power. Try this: Follow the trail of your thought. Try to follow and see where it came from during your meditation. You may be surprised by the origination of the thought.