Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 19-12-2016, 02:17 AM
Master
wow! Very detailed! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFeelFree
There are three types of meditation:

1. Focused Attention techniques. This includes concentration techniques and are characterized by EEG in the beta-2 (20-30 Hz) and gamma (30-50 Hz) frequency bands, which are associated with voluntary sustained control of attention to keep it focused on the object of meditation.

2. Open Monitoring techniques. This includes mindfulness-based techniques, which involve dispassionate non-evaluative monitoring of ongoing experience and are characterized by frontal theta (5-8 Hz) EEG, and perhaps occipital gamma (30-50 Hz) EEG.

3. Automatic Self-Transcending techniques. This includes automatic self-transcending meditation, which is associated with alpha-1 (7-9 Hz) EEG, characteristic of reduced mental activity and relaxation.

Since you talk about "trying harder", I suspect that the type of meditation you are doing is type 1. I recommend type 3 which is an effortless transcending of the meditation process itself, leading to the experience of transcendental or pure consciousness. That's what I've been practicing for 43 years, and it has led to many, many spiritual experiences.

Examples of type 3 are Transcendental Meditation as taught by teachers trained by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and Sahaj Samadhi meditation as taught by Art of Living teachers trained by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. I'm sure there are many other good meditation teachers out there. These are just the ones that I have personal knowledge of.

While walking through a forest and feeling connected to nature can be spiritually beneficial, it is no replacement for sitting meditation. True meditation has no direction or goal. It is pure surrender, pure silence. It happens spontaneously when awareness is not being manipulated or controlled. Then awareness becomes free of the mind’s compulsive control, contractions, and identifications.
Old 19-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
By 'traditional way' I assume you mean sitting meditation. There are many formal types of meditation, if THAT one is not working for you, try another type. Walking meditation might suit you better ...

There are also may informal types of mediation like the ones you mention. Once one fully integrates mediation into their lifestyle, there is no 'form' (or type), you are just in a meditative state no matter what you are 'doing'.

I agree ...
I've never been able to meditate sitting quietly in my home b/c of "mommy radar" - no matter how far away they are ...
I'm able to shut it off when doing something while meditating like sitting by my backyard waterfall, walking around the park, gardening, etc ...
Don't limit yourself, you can meditate anywhere or any time in whatever manner suits you ...
Old 19-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Master
I listen to meditation music and meditate while sweeping and steam mopping the floors. Also while I'm coloring/shading artwork. I find it very relaxing.
Old 19-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Newbie ;)

Hell, even cardio is a form of meditation in a way. I know a friend who finds colouring gives him the same feeling as traditional meditation. Like most things in this world, there will always other ways to achieve something that isn't traditional.