Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Master
Enlightenment

Yes, I know there are lots of threads on this topic but I've had some insights on this which I wish to share:

Enlightenment is not just one thing; it is not a plateau which a person reaches; enlightenment is ongoing an increases with the growth and development of the practitioner.

Actually every human being is already enlightened, it is just a matter of bringing out ones’ inner light. Enlightenment is gauged by the ignorance of others, as is “intelligence.” By today’s standards most people on Earth are enlightened when compared to the behavior of ancient cave dwelling people. How ignorant, unconscious, or unaware, the population is determines how enlightened some people are seen as. If everyone's inner light was shinning brightly into this world and we were all in expanded cosmic consciousness while here on earth there would be no such thing as enlightenment.

The term “enlightenment” is a comparative analysis of the average person and of average understanding, anything above average is usually seen as enlightened. However, as I said earlier spiritual enlightenment is ongoing; it does not rest on a peak. When someone does something better than someone else people will often call that person a “master.” All of this stuff is relative, or in relation to the status quo.

I say don’t consciously seek spiritual enlightenment, as it is but a way station on your continued journey; and it will come whether you seek it or not. In fact don’t have any ideas about what you are seeking beyond the physical because your ideas can interfere with your progress on the spiritual path. We live in so, so many, mental boxes, and in my opinion we have to free ourselves from all of those constructs. It is the mental boxes which we live in that causes us so much pain and suffering; the universe is free and wide open, and no I do not consider myself to be enlightened.

I am still learning and growing spiritually, and still am challenged by life, even though I have had lots of out-of-body and inter-dimensional experiences, and I have a lot of divine light in my life and experience a deeper sense of consciousness. Earthly standards aside, no one is better than anyone else; regardless of their title or perceived standing in life. We all need each other regardless of our spiritual abilities; if I lift you up I also lift myself up and if I put you down I do the same to me, because we are all connected.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Badcopyinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Yes, I know there are lots of threads on this topic but I've had some insights on this which I wish to share:

Enlightenment is not just one thing; it is not a plateau which a person reaches; enlightenment is ongoing an increases with the growth and development of the practitioner.

Actually every human being is already enlightened, it is just a matter of bringing out ones’ inner light. Enlightenment is gauged by the ignorance of others, as is “intelligence.” By today’s standards most people on Earth are enlightened when compared to the behavior of ancient cave dwelling people. How ignorant, unconscious, or unaware, the population is determines how enlightened some people are seen as.

The term “enlightenment” is a comparative analysis of the average person and of average understanding, anything above average is usually seen as enlightened. However, as I said earlier spiritual enlightenment is ongoing; it does not rest on a peak. When someone does something better than someone else people will often call that person a “master.” All of this stuff is relative, or in relation to the status quo.

I say don’t seek spiritual enlightenment as it is but a way station on your continued journey; in fact don’t have any ideas about what you are seeking because your ideas can interfere with your progress on the spiritual path. We live in so, so many, mental boxes, and in my opinion we have to free ourselves from all of those constructs. It is the mental boxes which we live in that causes us so much pain and suffering; the universe is free and wide open, and no I do not consider myself to be enlightened.

I am still learning and growing spiritually, and still am challenged by life, even though I have had lots of out-of-body and inter-dimensional experiences, and I have a lot of divine light in my life and experience a deeper sense of consciousness. Earthly standards aside, no one is better than anyone else; regardless of their title or perceived standing in life. We all need each other regardless of our spiritual abilities; if I lift you up I also lift myself up and if I put you down I do the same to me, because we are all connected.

Amazing post!!

Your post reminded me of what Alan Watts said about people seeking a guru for enlightenment. "they deserve 30 welts from a staff"

Just as he said those seeking therapy from a therapist should have their head examined

Naturally he was referring to power of thought and how those that think its a tall task to be "enlightened" require a a mountain of accomplishments before they feel they have earned something they already owned.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

What you write about isn't "enlightenment". You just gave this word your own definition. There is a lot of that (redefining words to serve agendas) going around these days.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
What you write about isn't "enlightenment". You just gave this word your own definition. There is a lot of that (redefining words to serve agendas) going around these days.
Here is the dictionary definition of enlightenment:

"en·light·en·ment (ĕn-līt′n-mənt) n.
a. The act or a means of enlightening.
b. The state of being enlightened.
2. Enlightenment A philosophical movement of the 1700s that emphasized the use of reason to scrutinize previously accepted doctrines and traditions and that brought about many humanitarian reforms.
3. Buddhism & Hinduism A state in which the individual transcends desire and suffering and attains nirvana."

There are some religions, like Buddhism, which has its own definition of enlightenment, but the word "enlightenment" is not exclusive to Buddhism. Just about everyone has an idea of what enlightenment is and is not, but enlightenment is not a mental construct nor can true enlightenment be defined by words no more than "GOD" can be defined by words; in my opinion.

P.S. Taoism teaches that "nothing in the universe is what we call it here on earth." This is one of my favorite sayings. Peace.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Master

Thanks to Starman for some stimulating thoughts. I'll add my two cents.

The word "enlightenment" has become almost meaningless because so many people use the term to mean so many things.

Many people consider enlightenment as a goal, the end of the spiritual journey. As Starman says, there is no end. We continue expanding into greater states of reality. The end of one stage of our journey is also the beginning of a new stage.

Many people like to say that this teacher or that teacher is enlightened, but none of us can know what someone else has realised or attained. I sometimes think that there is a sense of spiritual pride and comfort in believing that we have sat at the feet of an enlightened teacher - somehow it makes us special.

Having said that, there are undoubtedly teachers who have realised higher states of consciousness and being in their presence can help raise our own consciousness. But in the end, we have to realise higher consciousness for ourselves, as a reality and not just an idea.

This higher consciousness is always present within us. Our everyday consciousness is usually directed outwards towards form. The spiritual journey is the process of turning this consciousness inwards towards formlessness. When we can surrender all attachment to form and thought and personality then we can rest in formlessness, knowing our true nature. But this is not the end, just another beginning.

Peace.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Master
The word "guru" is also becoming meaningless because it used to mean a spiritual teacher but now it has been generalized to just about anyone who is considered an "expert." Calling people financial gurus, etc., has watered down the term. The English language is continually growing, modifying, and changing.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Master
Quote:

Actually every human being is already enlightened, it is just a matter of bringing out ones’ inner light. Enlightenment is gauged by the ignorance of others, as is “intelligence.” By today’s standards most people on Earth are enlightened when compared to the behavior of ancient cave dwelling people. How ignorant, unconscious, or unaware, the population is determines how enlightened some people are seen as. If everyone's inner light was shinning brightly into this world and we were all in expanded cosmic consciousness while here on earth there would be no such thing as enlightenment.

I say don’t consciously seek spiritual enlightenment, as it is but a way station on your continued journey; and it will come whether you seek it or not. In fact don’t have any ideas about what you are seeking beyond the physical because your ideas can interfere with your progress on the spiritual path. We live in so, so many, mental boxes, and in my opinion we have to free ourselves from all of those constructs. It is the mental boxes which we live in that causes us so much pain and suffering; the universe is free and wide open, and no I do not consider myself to be enlightened.

So if it is just about bringing out one's light and its not one thing and it is an increasing thing and you do not consider yourself enlightened, that speaks to me of contradiction about this matter. Its like your saying in one paragraph its this and not that, it is something ongoing, but then by saying "I do not consider myself enlightened", is contradicting the very meaning, you say it is, but then make into a fixed state by saying those words. If you are embracing yourself in the meaning you see, wouldn't you be that view in yourself and speak as such? I would imagine you would have said. "I am the light, which increases ongoing as I become more consciously aware of myself, as the enlightened being I already am".

I think this topic is all in your mind because if awareness was speaking of itself being this, it would speak as it is aware.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san

So what is it then if you know what it isn't?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
So if it is just about bringing out one's light and its not one thing and it is an increasing thing and you do not consider yourself enlightened, that speaks to me of contradiction about this matter. Its like your saying in one paragraph its this and not that, it is something ongoing, but then by saying "I do not consider myself enlightened", is contradicting the very meaning, you say it is, but then make into a fixed state by saying those words. If you are embracing yourself in the meaning you see, wouldn't you be that view in yourself and speak as such? I would imagine you would have said. "I am the light, which increases ongoing as I become more consciously aware of myself, as the enlightened being I already am".

I think this topic is all in your mind because if awareness was speaking of itself being this, it would speak as it is aware.
Back in the 1970’s my then spiritual teacher (guru) used to say to the group whom he was sharing with, “don’t get caught in the words which I am saying, just get the gist of what I’ve said.” We are using words to talk about that which transcends words. The mind will analyze while the heart synthesizes.

I was really not talking about a series of things in my post; actually I was talking about one thing. It is my experience that what I call “divine light” is all around us, permeates us, is inside of us, and all of creation is but an image; a reflection of that light. It is one thing. When I bring my own light to the surface and allow myself to bathe in its intoxicating sweetness there are no words, no labels or designations.

In my bias opinion an enlightened person would never say that they are enlightened; and I am not saying this to appear to be enlightened. I just don’t care to apply labels to myself; we have enough labels as is, i.e. our names, gender, nationality, race, etc., etc., etc., and so, and so forth. Some people like that stuff, they seek out titles. I am trying to discard all of my titles and labels, so why would I want to say I am enlightened an bring on that kind of responsibility?

Life is a paradox, especially human life, it is a contradiction in my experience. I believe the contradiction is all part of the dual nature of creation; on one hand we are all enlightened and it might be said that we are playing tag with the shadow and light. You are attempting to use logic to understand that which transcends logic. I often have said that God is unreasonable; because human reasoning will only take us so far. Mainstream humanity is just now beginning to get a glimmer into emotional intelligence and even much less into intuitive knowledge.

I try to carry my words very lightly and endeavor not to get caught in the words of others. It’s a work in progress. Most of the time when I post I am in a meditative state, very quiet inside, trying to share a feeling, a presence and not just words. Words are codes for other things. The English language is one code, the Spanish language is another code. There are no words in some languages for words said in other languages.

You said: "I think this topic is all in your mind because if awareness was speaking of itself being this, it would speak as it is aware."

Yes, that is true according our human definition of awareness, but what we call "being aware" is just another level of unconsciousness, else there would be no need to acquire even more awareness, go to new levels in infinite expansion of awareness, etc.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Master
Quote:

Hi Starman,

I enjoy what you share very much.

Just sharing some thoughts this brings to me.

Find to be true. No matter how much I may come to think I know and in ways know at present, there is always more to discover and brought to my attention.

Life is like that ain't it?

Feel too much at times can be placed on terms, words, and meanings one is told or holds onto. For me, find these have and continue to change.

To not so much hold onto to the message, but open up to what it may bring.

Ever changing and in movement is what life brings to me.

The best things that have brought me joy are those unexpected moments.
Like yesterday was on a hilltop overlooking the valley here. It was a misty day. Starting on one hillside and extending across the valley to the hillside.
If that is not enlightening, then I don't know what is.

Life is a wonder and gives me those little nuggets that remind of its beauty, power, and creativity. This, to me, is where I find enlightenment.

Simple if not over thought about and allowed to enter my consciousness and being.

Thank you.