Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Knower

bible belt and my beliefs

I have a Christian family, at least on my mother's side. My mom is Christian, but also believes in spiritual, hippie stuff. I don't know what to call it. My aunts are very open-minded with different beliefs, but my grandparents are conservative southern Baptists. Growing up, I went to church, was taught bible verses, I was a part of the church's GA (girls in action) program, which was basically like church girl scouts, and went to vacation bible school. Also at this time, I was learning about astrology and psychic stuff. It felt right and my parents facilitated it. At that age, though, I wasn't aware that many Christians condemned those beliefs.

This brings us to about 10 years later, where I am now. When I was almost 18 and starting college, I moved from North Carolina to Georgia, in the bible belt. I live in a pretty open-minded city, but it's still been hard to figure out my spirituality when I'm still surrounded by churches and bible verses everywhere I go. Ever since starting college, I've been exploring my spirituality more and more, which is great at helping me find substance in it. However, I feel like I'm being alienated from the people around me. I'm starting to not take parts of Christianity seriously and the cynical part of my mind keeps on shooting aspects of it as false or silly and pushing it away. It's not a great feeling inside. I'm becoming one of those "spiritual, but not religious" people, and I'm having a hard time with it. I hope I've explained my conflict well enough. Does anyone have advice on finding peace between the religion that I grew up with and my family still practices, the religious nods that I see out and about, and my inner spirituality? Has anyone else gone through a similar experience?
Old 13-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Experiencer
I grew up in a Catholic family. I have been an acolyte for some time.
I recognize your situation and I sympathize with you.

My mother married as a virgin. She got 7 children with me being 6th. She wanted particularly me to stay virgin until I would get married some day too. She ruined my youth by that. I have had some serious issues with her.
My father was more open minded but he didn't have the strength to put up with her. My mother had a dragon kind of character.

It can be difficult at times, very difficult. I strongly suggest to go on on your new path. Read spiritual books like the ones I recommended you earlier. They can bring you great insights.
Every life has it's challenges. Inner changes can require to choose for solitude, but that depends on everyones own character.

You might benefit from alternate practices like yoga or meditation, tai chi, etc.
But don't just block your inner feelings or push them away. You have to work them through and create a new conscious from it.
Takes years to do that, but you live in an eternity. The eternity is in you. So plenty of time.

Don't be afraid to make choices nobody else in your environment does. You are a divine spark of God. You represent God. Me too. Everybody does.
Making different choices will bring you to experiences and understandings that you may never even dreamt of.

It's hard sometimes, very hard. I know all about it. But it's worth it.
Perhaps your life may be easier, I don't know.

With the right spiritual knowledge you can open up your mind in so many ways. It will give you so much more awareness. You have to go on.

Come on, rosiegirl. You can do it.
Old 13-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiegirl
However, I feel like I'm being alienated from the people around me.
I'm starting to not take parts of Christianity seriously...
I'm becoming one of those "spiritual, but not religious" people,
and I'm having a hard time with it.

Does anyone have advice on finding peace between the religion... and my inner spirituality?
Love and follow what Jesus said...love your neighbor and love God.
Life is really very simple, my little sis.

Give love to those you feel alienated from...
through your peace of mind, because of your connection with Jesus and/or your Father God...
smile and be kind and gentle to everyone, Jews, Christians, atheists...
see all as children of God with no judgments...even if they are judging you..

Just be content. Focus on that...Be anxious for nothing...Phil 4:6
Do not worry.
Give him your burdens.
Cast your cares.
Ask, believe and receive. See, how easy it is.
Pay no attention to others...focus on the things above, Col 3:2

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 14-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Master

Quote:
I have a Christian family, at least on my mother's side. My mom is Christian, but also believes in spiritual, hippie stuff. I don't know what to call it. My aunts are very open-minded with different beliefs, but my grandparents are conservative southern Baptists.
I've been exploring my spirituality more and more, which is great at helping me find substance in it. However, I feel like I'm being alienated from the people around me. I'm starting to not take parts of Christianity seriously and the cynical part of my mind keeps on shooting aspects of it as false or silly and pushing it away. It's not a great feeling inside. I'm becoming one of those "spiritual, but not religious" people, and I'm having a hard time with it. I hope I've explained my conflict well enough. Does anyone have advice on finding peace between the religion that I grew up with and my family still practices, the religious nods that I see out and about, and my inner spirituality? Has anyone else gone through a similar experience?

rosiegirl,

First, utilize the resource that is immediately available to you. I mean your mother and your aunts. From what you said they have found a way to balance or reconcile the conflict between religious and spiritual. Apparently they have been able to do this. Personally I reject catergorising anything as either/or situations. There is room on any path for inclusion of seemingly contradictory approaches. I would also suggest that conflict can be a good thing. It demonstrates a desire to be open-minded and is also a recognition of potential good in both religious and spiritual paths. To discard either has the inherent danger of becoming judgmental about the rejected approach. You will find that this will hinder your ability to be forgiving and loving. Good luck!!
Old 15-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Knower
Quote:
I have a Christian family, at least on my mother's side. My mom is Christian, but also believes in spiritual, hippie stuff. I don't know what to call it. My aunts are very open-minded with different beliefs, but my grandparents are conservative southern Baptists. Growing up, I went to church, was taught bible verses, I was a part of the church's GA (girls in action) program, which was basically like church girl scouts, and went to vacation bible school. Also at this time, I was learning about astrology and psychic stuff. It felt right and my parents facilitated it. At that age, though, I wasn't aware that many Christians condemned those beliefs.

This brings us to about 10 years later, where I am now. When I was almost 18 and starting college, I moved from North Carolina to Georgia, in the bible belt. I live in a pretty open-minded city, but it's still been hard to figure out my spirituality when I'm still surrounded by churches and bible verses everywhere I go. Ever since starting college, I've been exploring my spirituality more and more, which is great at helping me find substance in it. However, I feel like I'm being alienated from the people around me. I'm starting to not take parts of Christianity seriously and the cynical part of my mind keeps on shooting aspects of it as false or silly and pushing it away. It's not a great feeling inside. I'm becoming one of those "spiritual, but not religious" people, and I'm having a hard time with it. I hope I've explained my conflict well enough. Does anyone have advice on finding peace between the religion that I grew up with and my family still practices, the religious nods that I see out and about, and my inner spirituality? Has anyone else gone through a similar experience?

Hey

I have gone through something that's similarish, I suppose. I was a Charismatic Christian, but then my spirituality turned more vague, more individualistic sort, relying on personal experience rather than external authorities. I rejected the authority of the Bible, and stuff like that. My best guess would now be that any religion is just a language for spirituality. It's not truth in itself, but it can be useful.

As a result, I've been for years in what I call "religious identity crisis". The people I usually get along the best with, are still Christians (certain, open-minded type of Christians, that is), but I have been very conflicted as should I identify as a Christian myself or not for years.

It has become apparent to me that when I go through inner changes, that will have an impact on my social life and identity too. I no longer feel like I belong with the people I used to associate with etc. Sometimes, that can lead to conflicting feelings.
Old 15-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Suspended
Guide

I was raised Catholic, but even from a young age some of what I was taught I felt was not or would ever be part of my beliefs. I always tried to look at things from both sides and still do, however, after a great many years of questioning everything, age & a tragic loss I've evolved into myself to make my life less complicated & far more simple.

In a nutshell, I view the Bible as a book of guidelines for living - take them or leave them. There are people that live by the Bible & that's okay w/me. I can see the advantages & challenges in choosing to do so. The personal challenges are in accepting loved ones/offspring who are gay, divorced, criminals/murders/psychopaths, atheiest, agnostic, of another religion, interracially married, etc. One must also be a dragon in defending & maintaining those beliefs.

Following certain rules makes life easier & less challenging. One example is maintaining one's virginity prior to marriage as well as faithfulness during the marriage. Both prevent sexually transmitted disease, secures lineage & keeps away guilt or shame (for one's self &/or family). There are also people who do not believe in divorce, they must stay married no matter the circumstances. Sometimes, it's just not possible due to abuse.

It's perfectly okay to question things in & around yourself - it's good for development. Creating your own identity is like a teeter totter, sometimes it's up, other times its down & then there are times its balanced. I've found harmony when I'm aware of the reason(s) I reject or accept something. I've had a few experiences when my heart overruled my previous rejection of something that would impact my life like chosing to get married, birthing children as well as having them baptized in a Catholic church. There's alot of work to be done in the first half of life, so just be open & choose what is fitting for now. You can always rethink your beliefs along the way if you want to, but also be aware you might be tested in a way that forces a change for the better especially when it comes to a spouse, marriage & family.
Old 16-12-2016, 05:25 AM
Knower

Thank you for your responses! It's comforting knowing that other people have gone through the same thing.
Old 16-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Experiencer
I have met a very old-fashioned catholic woman once online on another forum. But she was a very pleasant woman to talk with.

Religion or spirituality is not a purpose in itself. It is only an instrument to help you on your way.

People from any religion or non-religion, whatever, can reach the spheres of light. It's about your inner feeling. How you approach people and how you go around with them.
Basically that has nothing to do with any kind of religion at all.

When the first spirits in the afterlife made it to the spheres of light the written word had not even been invented yet. The word religion didn't even exist yet.

I'm not pranking. This is serious!
Old 16-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Guide
Yep - Like Jack I used to be a Charismatic Fundemental Clappy dancy Christian. For 30 years of my life.
I was also worship leader / Pianist in a few churches in that time for over 20 years.

Until I had a Soul Awakening. Then I became Soul aware and realised I am God having a Human experience. My SOUL is a fragment of God living in me as ME. God does not need to be saved. God is not a lost sinner, God does not need Jesus to save Him from sins. God does not need to go to church to worship Himself.

I also discovered how the New Testament is mostly fabricated and forged. The Church think it is following Jesus, but it it following the fabrications of Paul instead. I did my research. Jesus taught Esoteric Kabbalistic Occult teachings to the 12 - the inner circle. The rest only got the Parables and stories.

Mark and Luke were not part of the inner circle. So they did not receive the Mystery teachings. The Gospel of Matthew is an enhanced copy of Mark, created by Jerome.

Nowadays I seem to antagonise Christians most of the time when I tell them how I became Soul Aware. LOL
Old 16-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenvdb64
Until I had a Soul Awakening. Then I became Soul aware and realised I am God having a Human experience. My SOUL is a fragment of God living in me as ME. God does not need to be saved. God is not a lost sinner, God does not need Jesus to save Him from sins. God does not need to go to church to worship Himself.

I also discovered how the New Testament is mostly fabricated and forged. The Church think it is following Jesus, but it it following the fabrications of Paul instead. I did my research. Jesus taught Esoteric Kabbalistic Occult teachings to the 12 - the inner circle. The rest only got the Parables and stories.

lenvdb64,

In a way this amuses me. You disparage Paul yet you seem to affirm his words from Galatians 2:20......"it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me". Also you are speaking from the perspective of being a realized soul. What is the condition prior to being realized? Is not this condition in need of being realized? You are speaking of the before and after. We can say that before represents the old man and that after represents the new man. Perhaps the old man needs to have an awareness of deficiency in order to have the motivation to seek plenitude.

It is not clear to me whether you attribute your realization to occult knowledge or Kabbalistic teachings. For many, realization comes by accessing the Spirit.....sans the occult and/or specific teachings. I, for one, cannot dismiss the scriptures that tell us that the Spirit will lead us unto all truth. Furthermore to indicate that Jesus restricted His life-changing teachings to the inner circle is to imply that His interest was only to a privileged few. The parables and stories that he told were teachings that demanded contemplation for understanding. It is through contemplation and meditation that these parables and stories reveal their inner and deeper truths. This dedication to unraveling their mysteries is, in reality, an invitation for the assistance of the Spirit. When the light comes on for those dedicated to this pursuit it results in epiphany.

There is a rush to discredit and dismiss scripture and the written word of the experiences of others and yet, when through self-discovery, we become anxious to share our experiences, understanding and interpretations in the same way. If cynicism prevails we can only expect that our ponderings will likewise be dismissed.