Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 03-12-2015, 05:03 AM
Guide
Question I need to know more about Shamanism

If there's one thing that I've always been interested in was Shamanism, but I've also been interested in Druid too. How are they different? Are they both about healing? Sorry but I don't know the difference between the two and was wondering if they are similar at all? These are the two things that I'm interesting in reading about and researching and than I'll know next on where my path will go from there.

Before Wicca/Witchcraft has always been interesting to me, but I'm more drawn to Shamanism/Druid right now. Something in my heart is telling me to ask more about it, but I'd like to know from other people's perspectives on how they are different or if they are similar. It would be much appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 AM
Master

As mentioned on the other forum where you asked this question, the best books to read are "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner and then his second book Cave and Cosmos, and don't forget he offers courses.

Shamans work between the worlds, you have to learn to astrally project and travel in the Otherworld and bring back information from the spirits. This isn't something that can be learned by taking a weekend course or reading about it, it takes time and dedication. It isn't a specific religion or philosophy but is the act of working with the spirits and journeying between the worlds. You need to learn to recognize your spirit helpers and work with them but Shamans needed to know how the tribe's spirit helpers worked with their tribe.

The Druids were the religious leaders of the Celts, they are not considered Witches although they were known to be very powerful magicians. It is a specific path usually, but not always, based on Celtic pre-Christian philosophies. You would need to develop a good relationship with the Land on which you live and also the Celtic lands. Most of the material used today, I believe, had its beginnings sometime in the 1800's. Don't forget to check out O.B.O.D. and there's also A.D.F.

There's a practitioner who lives in Wales, his name is Mike Williams. He is a Druid through O.B.O.D. and a mentor for Druidry students in the O.B.O.D. as well as a shamanic practitioner. He has a book out called "Follow the Shaman's Call".

Hope that helps
Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 AM
Ascender

On a more practical level shamans are witch doctors /healers. Many are herbalists and collect their medicines from the local environment.
My sister in law (now deceased ) a shaman. I don't know a lot about the medicines she used but I do know that sea water is used to treat a variety of skin problems and the roots of juvenile coconut trees are used to make a tea to treat UTI.
Basically she was a herbalist /first aider /midwife. Religion doesn't really come in to it. She was a practicing roman catholic.
I do know that when ever she helped some one she would be very tired /exhausted. She would sleep for 24 hours only getting up to eat or use the bathroom and then go back to bed again.
The other thing I know that may be more cultural than any thing else is that the people she helped had to pay her but it couldn't be in cash. They may give her some fish /fruit /rice /vegetables or a service for example they may have offered to mend her husband's fishing nets or washed some clothes or something.
This was in a small fishing village in the Philippines.
Hopefully I've helped you a little.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Master

Can you please let us know if you've read our posts, Enchanted_DreamFaerie, it would be nice to be acknowledged
Old 05-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Deactivated Account

Research a lot of Native American and Asian history when it comes to Shamans. I was raised by a Shaman for a little while. (She was a Shaman being of old traditional Korean descent in her family before the aftermath of Korean War when Shaman and Buddhist temples were burnt down by Americans to bring Christianity). You may do this already but ...How are you with animals? Meditate around them and watch them come to you and sit with you and offer their medicine. The ways of the Shaman will come to you naturally too. This can be a way to start with animals.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Can you please let us know if you've read our posts, Enchanted_DreamFaerie, it would be nice to be acknowledged

Yes I've read this now. Sorry I haven't gotten back to this lately. I've been on bed rest lately and haven't been feeling all that well lately. Shamans is something that I really want to do. I'll be dedicated to it, I know it won't come easy to me at first and it will take forever for me to adapt. Just want to help people and heal others, including myself. Hope that doesn't sound selfish or anything. Can you ever mix Shamanism along with Witchcraft? Is that a big No, no?

Quote:
Research a lot of Native American and Asian history when it comes to Shamans. I was raised by a Shaman for a little while. (She was a Shaman being of old traditional Korean descent in her family before the aftermath of Korean War when Shaman and Buddhist temples were burnt down by Americans to bring Christianity). You may do this already but ...How are you with animals? Meditate around them and watch them come to you and sit with you and offer their medicine. The ways of the Shaman will come to you naturally too. This can be a way to start with animals.

I'm very good with animals, I love all types of animals. I'm just scared of spiders and snakes though. I do meditate quite a bit though. Know that becoming a Shaman won't come to me over night but I'll have my patient for it. I'm willing on learning.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 AM
Master

Hello Enchanted_DreamFaerie,

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, hope you're better soon.

I don't see why you couldn't be a Witch as well as a Shaman - lot of work, though - I wish you well on your journey
Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Master
Don't get caught up in the fallacy that shamanism was exclusively Siberian or North Amerind. During the last Ice Age, shamanism was spread right across Eurasia, just south of the glacier. The Amerind tribes migrated from Siberia over a land bridge.
At the current time, a fishing village which dates back to about 9000 BC is being excavated near the Yorkshire coastline [ Star Carr ]. It was built in a time before Britain became an island in an area of marshland, formed by three major rivers which drained into the Atlantic. The marsh preserved many artifacts, including deer skull ritual head-dresses [below]. Victorian explorers in the 19th century noted identical head gear worn by shaman in Siberia.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Star%20Carr%20HD_zpsidupfdij.png
Old 16-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Knower

Enchanted Dream Faerie,

When I first started on my current path (which is best described as shamanistic), I think it was a real blessing that my primary goal was simply to find spiritual reality. I think that's a pretty necessary part of laying the groundwork for any spiritual path, coming to understand who and what one is on a spiritual level. From there, one has the foundation from which to build a spiritual practice/life.

Or, that's how I see it anyway.

This is how I began my path, shared with you as an example of one option (among many): First, I examined and questioned my beliefs. I found many that I could discard simply because they no longer applied; I found many that resonated with me - they 'felt' true - and those I set aside as well, assuming that if they really were true, I'd find and experience them myself through meditation.

When I began to meditate in earnest, I did my best to go in with only the belief that spirituality was a real thing, and the expectation that I could find it through meditation. All else was set aside (to the best of my ability.) I felt it was really important to start with an 'empty slate' so that my experience wouldn't be influenced or warped by beliefs/expectations.

I used a variety of methods for meditation. Sometimes I'd meditate on energetic connections -- my spirit/soul/whatever you want to call it is made of energy, so I wanted to know if and how my energy connected with other types of energy. Other times I'd ask a question and seek the answer in meditation, allowing myself to think about possible answers, and then just listening for any input that might arise. Quite often I'd simply ask, 'What do I need to know right now?', and let my mind wander until something came up and drew my attention. All very effective methods for me.

About six months after I started meditating, I was invited to a Reiki class (another huge blessing), and eventually I began attending. It gave me something to focus my energy on, and was a nice adjunct to meditation. The class wasn't one of those weekend things; I went every other week for a few months, then every week for many more months, and I studied and practiced on a daily basis. One cannot 'master' energy work in a weekend; I was blessed that this class was set up for long-term study, working at my own pace. It helped a lot, too, to have others who understood what I was talking about in terms of spiritual seeking. Whether I found resonance (internal agreement) or dissonance (internal disagreement) with what the others shared with me, I would take that into meditation to discern the reality first-hand. Found that some things that are absolutely true for others are nonetheless not true for me -- and yet they are still true. Wow!

Lots of layers/dimensions of spiritual reality. Or, that's my experience anyway.

Bottom line: I'd encourage you to examine - in meditation - the things that resonate with you. I think it's a great way to find your own path.

Sorry this is so long. I've been away from SF for almost two years, and wow it feels really good to be talking about spirituality again.