Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 23-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Master
Sometimes we evolve in our definitions of many terms. Those definitions might be different than the original thought, might align to the first thoughts, or move beyond it with more understanding.
For example lots of words, terms in modern language has come from ancient languages of Sanskrit and Latin, speaking of the dictionary that is. For example Latin for love is 'amare' and french for love is 'amour ' and Spanish for love is 'amor'. As long as the message is conveyed, I think that would be fair to not grammatically correct errors.
Maybe even the new agers made some attempt to understand and redefine, perhaps even be more creative and original, than the very original thought/ creation of mythological characters from the past that is being quoted for understanding by others and repeated by them. As long is it is genuine thought, life/ spiritual experience or belief system , it says enough.
Old 23-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelic star
We all define similarly or differently, and sometimes we evolve in our definitions of those very terms.
For example lots of words, terms in modern language has come from ancient languages of Sanskrit and Latin. For example Latin for love is 'amare' and french for love is 'amour ' and Spanish for love is 'amor'. It's human to evolve, to understand and to redefine. As long as the message is conveyed, I think that would be fair to not grammatically correct errors.
Maybe even the new agers made some attempt to understand and redefine, perhaps even be more creative and original, than the very original thought/ creation of mythological characters from the past that is being quoted for understanding by others. As long is it is genuine thought, life/ spiritual experience or belief system , it says enough.

The example you gave for love - is still the same meaning.

Soul mate was always meaning two halves of a whole.

A person having their own truth is a nice airy fairy way of choosing not to acknowledge something. A thief may well see themselves as a "liberator of items" but the consequences are the same for the victim.

Someone not wishing to commit to a single partner is free to do as they please however "soul mate" is also something they are choosing to relinquish in this process.

A Soul mate is supposed to be extra special - something shared between two.

Redefining is not new, nor is it evolving & let's not pretend that lots of new age authors haven't made lots of money repackaging older concepts that perhaps they didn't earn for themselves.

Presuming only good intention is as bad as presuming negative intention - I merely pointed out that if Romeo & Juliet refer to soul mates: it will be in the classical sense (otherwise its not unique).

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 23-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel

A person having their own truth is a nice airy fairy way of choosing not to acknowledge something. A thief may well see themselves as a "liberator of items" but the consequences are the same for the victim.

Someone not wishing to commit to a single partner is free to do as they please however "soul mate" is also something they are choosing to relinquish in this process.

I agree with what you say. I have similar line of thoughts as well. Soul mate is indeed supposed to be extra special, a shared bond that most people look for their entire lives or live with their whole lives, at least the more serious ones do. Thanks for sharing.
Old 23-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelic star
But these relationships were not like having multiple partners for her, even though she was open to love, she is serious and committed.

This statement triggers me a bit... it sounds like you are saying that people who are open to/do explore more than one loving/romantic/sexual/affectionate relationship are not serious and are not committed, by default. I think the people in the relationships should be the ones to self describe their seriousness and commitment levels to each other. Being poly doesn't necessarily mean not being serious and/or committed.

I am very happy if people meet their ONE soul mate at just the right time when everything lines up... and live life together, forever with no looking back, no hitches or fences to mend!!!! No other Love or soulmate to sweep under the carpet or yearn for... ever. Yay story book ending!!!! I did sign up for that ride (quite seriously with loads of commitment and love)... It's been quite a doozy!!!!

rides on.... and life happens... haha!!! oh well... I live and learn and love... and I'm well past 21...

My husband (DH) and I consider each other soulmates and we are life partners... living our own day to day reality together, a family, we lean in together to be better versions of ourselves. There is deep love. There is ongoing growth.

I also feel divinely connected to another (SC) (soul love feeling from the start and there is intense sexual energy and soul catalyzing that I'd never felt before). Whether that energy stays, grows, or settles who knows but it has been present in some form for about 5 years now.

I am serious and committed to soul growth with both. One inspires me to grow with the other... and vice versa... it is what it is... I am blessed and grateful.
Old 23-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Knower

Quote:

A person deciphering their own truth from the elemental world and spiritual life around them while existing societal structures break away and have less and less personal meaning can be considered airy fairy. Yes.

I believe in multiple soul mates in life... could be friends/family/lovers/spouse... people who are part of your life journey for however long. I also believe in rarer Twin Flame type of connection - which may be closer to the Soul Mate connection you describe as being two halves of a whole. No earthly marriage or relationship could harm/destroy this type of connection and it is extra special because you are sharing soul space together. No earthly relationship choices can sever divine soul connection.
Old 23-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
True for you perhaps but that wouldn't be true for me. Two halves of a whole? Two halves of what?
Old 24-02-2018, 07:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
True for you perhaps but that wouldn't be true for me. Two halves of a whole? Two halves of what?

Its in an earlier posting:

"Though the phrase soul mate gained steam toward the end of the twentieth century, the idea goes all the way back to Plato’s Symposium, written in 385–380 BCE.
In Symposium, when the two dialogists discuss love, Aristophanes tells Socrates that human beings used to have four arms, four legs, and two faces, and they were happy and complete. But Zeus was jealous and split them in two with his thunderbolt, and now humans spend their lives searching for their other half. This idea of an “other half” has been with us ever since.

But the phrase soul mate itself was first recorded in 1822, when the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote in a letter, “To be happy in Married Life . . . you must have a Soul-mate.”

So two halves of a whole, two halves of a union/bond.

You used a term incorrectly - no big deal

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 24-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Walks
A person deciphering their own truth from the elemental world and spiritual life around them while existing societal structures break away and have less and less personal meaning can be considered airy fairy. Yes.

I believe in multiple soul mates in life... could be friends/family/lovers/spouse... people who are part of your life journey for however long. I also believe in rarer Twin Flame type of connection - which may be closer to the Soul Mate connection you describe as being two halves of a whole. No earthly marriage or relationship could harm/destroy this type of connection and it is extra special because you are sharing soul space together. No earthly relationship choices can sever divine soul connection.

So what?

Why not be an adult & accept the term as it was meant instead of trying to undermine the bond it describes by trying to have your cake & eat it & then go back for seconds?

Having your own truth does a person no favours, it says that they cannot be incorrect as they define their own reality.

I used to use the word "approximately" wrongly - now I just don't use the stupid word.

Existing societal structures are not breaking away, that is fantasy. With the sheer amount of Muslims, Mormons etc in the world your guaranteed that a leftist utopia will never happen.

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 24-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Walks
This statement triggers me a bit... it sounds like you are saying that people who are open to/do explore more than one loving/romantic/sexual/affectionate relationship are not serious and are not committed, by default. I think the people in the relationships should be the ones to self describe their seriousness and commitment levels to each other. Being poly doesn't necessarily mean not being serious and/or committed.

I am very happy if people meet their ONE soul mate at just the right time when everything lines up... and live life together, forever with no looking back, no hitches or fences to mend!!!! No other Love or soulmate to sweep under the carpet or yearn for... ever. Yay story book ending!!!! I did sign up for that ride (quite seriously with loads of commitment and love)... It's been quite a doozy!!!!

rides on.... and life happens... haha!!! oh well... I live and learn and love... and I'm well past 21...

My husband (DH) and I consider each other soulmates and we are life partners... living our own day to day reality together, a family, we lean in together to be better versions of ourselves. There is deep love. There is ongoing growth.

I also feel divinely connected to another (SC) (soul love feeling from the start and there is intense sexual energy and soul catalyzing that I'd never felt before). Whether that energy stays, grows, or settles who knows but it has been present in some form for about 5 years now.

I am serious and committed to soul growth with both. One inspires me to grow with the other... and vice versa... it is what it is... I am blessed and grateful.

That's just being a cheat surely?

If its same sex & the husband doesn't mind then that's what we used to call "kinky".

Perhaps you made a mistake getting married, perhaps your more fiends now than lovers but no point claiming everyone you fancy is a soul mate.

Ever considered that neither are soul mates - that you like two different people for two different reasons?

Not Soul mates - your self convincing to justify two separate feelings.

Usually people choose which relationship they wish to continue with - your being greedy. That's your prerogative & I'm taking a factual tone not a judgmental one.

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 24-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Master
Quote:
But these relationships were not like having multiple partners for her, even though she was open to love, she is serious and committed.

In the above statement , I talked about my friend being serious and committed, in a casual response to the OP. And my friend is a very serious and devoted girl. She is in love and the guy who married is madly in love with her. He traveled half way across the continent to marry her and spend a lifetime with her. I don't think they like the idea of a third person in the dynamic. Lots of couples don't like the idea of a third person in a dynamic up until old age. They will frown at the idea of it. It's not a new concept lol, has been going on for ages now.

So much talk on soul love lol, we can transform intensely and feel 'soul love' for others intensely anyways. People are different, not everyone is growing and evolving by engaging in lust.

I think here some people entertain the idea of being liberal, and for others to understand their 'point of view' but maybe they are only triggered by people who find commitment/ faithfulness with one person or the concept of being devoted to only one person in a marriage/ relationship. They don't like the idea of commitment to one person only. That is the only thing that triggers them.

Last edited by angelic star : 24-02-2018 at 10:22 AM.