Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Sunset Dragon Sunset Dragon is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 601
 
Upright Exercise Bike vs Spin Bike

I have a problem with my knee and my leg muscles need to be strengthened. At this time, I am unable to use weights or perform squats. It has been suggested that I either swim or use an exercise bike to maintain fitness.

I am interested in purchasing an exercise bike primarily for the purpose of strengthening my legs. For those who have used both kinds of exercise bikes mentioned in the title, would you recommend one over the other?

I read that the spin bike is great for cardio, but I also read that once you gain momentum, the wheel can spin without you needing to force the pedals to move. I read that the pedals on the upright bike stop moving the moment that you do, therefore requiring constant effort. If this is the case, it sounds like the upright bike with resistance would be better for me to build leg strength versus the spin bike. However, I don't know if this is true and was wondering if anybody has any thoughts about it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Lucky 1 Lucky 1 is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 2,249
  Lucky 1's Avatar
I find an elliptical jogging machine to be far better than a stationary bike or treadmill.....you get a vastly better cardivascular workout and a lot more muscle use without any of the pounding on he joints you get with running or weights.

My own favorite is the Precor EFX 541.........in between weight training days....I do cardio on one of these several times per week...its a great workout and easy on the joints.
__________________
From the cradle to the crypt...it's a mighty short trip...So get it while you can!!!

I'm living on "tropical standard time"!!!

Yes I Am a Pirate! 200 years too late....the cannons don't thunder...there's nothing to plunder...I'm an over 40 victim of fate!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Sunset Dragon Sunset Dragon is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 601
 
Sounds like a good workout, Lucky. I always liked the idea of the cross trainer, but couldn't take to it when I finally tried it in the gym. I couldn't get a rhythm going and felt 'clunky'. Perhaps I just needed more time to adjust to using it. I have read that the stationary bike is superior when targeting the quads and hamstrings, particularly with increased resistance. Mind you, I've read a lot of things. The cross trainer is no doubt superior when it comes to a full body workout and cardio. Opting for it has definitely crossed my mind, but I'll probably still opt for a bike as it feels right at least at this time. Still not sure whether to go for spin or upright, though. Probably upright. I'm hoping to be able to use weights for the upper body workout but that depends on other factors. I'm very much rehabbing my whole body, which became neglected after picking up numerous injuries in sports - in that sense the cross trainer does make sense! Back and forth I go.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-02-2020, 10:19 PM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,030
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Dragon
I have a problem with my knee and my leg muscles need to be strengthened. At this time, I am unable to use weights or perform squats. It has been suggested that I either swim or use an exercise bike to maintain fitness.

I am interested in purchasing an exercise bike primarily for the purpose of strengthening my legs. For those who have used both kinds of exercise bikes mentioned in the title, would you recommend one over the other?

I read that the spin bike is great for cardio, but I also read that once you gain momentum, the wheel can spin without you needing to force the pedals to move. I read that the pedals on the upright bike stop moving the moment that you do, therefore requiring constant effort. If this is the case, it sounds like the upright bike with resistance would be better for me to build leg strength versus the spin bike. However, I don't know if this is true and was wondering if anybody has any thoughts about it.

Thanks!

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in 1986. Torn cartilage. What I find useful is keeping the quads and hamstrings in good shape using resistance training. I do have a programmable Schwinn for aerobic training but that's all it's for. My experience is if a knee is weak any repetitive stress isn't good until the thigh muscles are strengthened.

There are a bunch of leg movements that can be used and you can always add ankle weights. Beyond that a bench with the attachment on the end for quad extensions and hamstring curls is very good. It's much more rigorous and since it's a mechanism it's very stable. Beyond that and if the muscles have been sufficiently strengthened squats and deadlifts can't be beat, however one has to use common sense and safety precautions because these are extreme exercises.

When I say repetitive stress what I mean is when I do aerobics I'm pumping the Schwinn at roughly 85 RPMs for 30 minutes, whereas a heavy resistance leg workout is 2 sets of 6 reps per exercise, moderate weights is 2x12 and HIIT cross-training is 1x20.

Resistance training is going to build muscles that will help stabilize the joint much quicker and with less repetitive stress than aerobics.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17-02-2020, 11:13 PM
Sunset Dragon Sunset Dragon is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 601
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in 1986. Torn cartilage. What I find useful is keeping the quads and hamstrings in good shape using resistance training. I do have a programmable Schwinn for aerobic training but that's all it's for. My experience is if a knee is weak any repetitive stress isn't good until the thigh muscles are strengthened.

There are a bunch of leg movements that can be used and you can always add ankle weights. Beyond that a bench with the attachment on the end for quad extensions and hamstring curls is very good. It's much more rigorous and since it's a mechanism it's very stable. Beyond that and if the muscles have been sufficiently strengthened squats and deadlifts can't be beat, however one has to use common sense and safety precautions because these are extreme exercises.

When I say repetitive stress what I mean is when I do aerobics I'm pumping the Schwinn at roughly 85 RPMs for 30 minutes, whereas a heavy resistance leg workout is 2 sets of 6 reps per exercise, moderate weights is 2x12 and HIIT cross-training is 1x20.

Resistance training is going to build muscles that will help stabilize the joint much quicker and with less repetitive stress than aerobics.

Thanks for your advice. I hope your knee is doing well. In my case, I've got something called chondromalacia and patellar tendonitis, both of which have been caused by overuse. I basically went from doing nothing for years to going all out with my fitness. Naturally, my muscles began to develop at a pace that my joints couldn't keep up with as I was moving too quickly. My flexibility was also poor, especially my hamstrings, which I couldn't target with a stretch for a long time. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Well, rehab is not going too brilliantly and so surgery may eventually become an option, but the bike was one of the suggestions offered for my fitness, which is partly why I gravitated to it. I was initially advised to do Bulgarian split squats by a physiotherapist, great for strength building, but it was difficult to perform them without pain.

Since cycling does come with a lot of repetition, no doubt the fear of overuse has returned to mind. To be honest, I'm beginning to question physio. I didn't know much about chondromalacia, directing my attention to exercises that treat tendonitis as they seemed to have some positive results. At least, one area of my pain has dwindled. Researching online, however, it may be that chondromalacia is permanent. Trying to determine in that case what is best leaves me with a lot of doubts but nonetheless the goal is to of course build strength without making things worse, so I'll take your advice on board.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-02-2020, 02:30 AM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,030
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Dragon
Thanks for your advice. I hope your knee is doing well. In my case, I've got something called chondromalacia and patellar tendonitis, both of which have been caused by overuse. I basically went from doing nothing for years to going all out with my fitness. Naturally, my muscles began to develop at a pace that my joints couldn't keep up with as I was moving too quickly. My flexibility was also poor, especially my hamstrings, which I couldn't target with a stretch for a long time. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Well, rehab is not going too brilliantly and so surgery may eventually become an option, but the bike was one of the suggestions offered for my fitness, which is partly why I gravitated to it. I was initially advised to do Bulgarian split squats by a physiotherapist, great for strength building, but it was difficult to perform them without pain.

Since cycling does come with a lot of repetition, no doubt the fear of overuse has returned to mind. To be honest, I'm beginning to question physio. I didn't know much about chondromalacia, directing my attention to exercises that treat tendonitis as they seemed to have some positive results. At least, one area of my pain has dwindled. Researching online, however, it may be that chondromalacia is permanent. Trying to determine in that case what is best leaves me with a lot of doubts but nonetheless the goal is to of course build strength without making things worse, so I'll take your advice on board.

Oh yeah, my knee is doing fine. I do resistance and aerobics during the week and try to get out on weekends. Here are my last two weekend adventures.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...36&postcount=1

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...4&postcount=25

I looked up your knee issue and ouch! I would have thought the Bulgarian split squats would be great, but you just never know. Rehabing these types of injuries can be so personal and individual. A really good physical therapist that can adopt to that is worth their weight in gold!

Hope it works out and you find something that helps you to heal.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Sunset Dragon Sunset Dragon is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 601
 
Thank you, sir! I'll check out your posts!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums