Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 28-10-2010, 01:29 PM
cheeky_monkey

I have an addictive personality, my doctor told me to continue with my addiction for some reason. I can't afford fancy treatment and have tried counselling and psychologists who just sit there, grunt, write notes and after 10 minutes tell me my appointment is over. I don't live in the illusion anymore that the NHS cares as I know they don't.
Old 28-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I have an addictive personality, my doctor told me to continue with my addiction for some reason. I can't afford fancy treatment and have tried counselling and psychologists who just sit there, grunt, write notes and after 10 minutes tell me my appointment is over. I don't live in the illusion anymore that the NHS cares as I know they don't.

Sorry that this has been your experience but don't write the NHS or counsellors or even psychologists off. There are some pretty amazing caring people out there who genuinely want to help and are pro-active in doing it. Sounds like you just haven't met the right person for you. Some counsellors have a more psychodynamic approach where they wait for you to talk, and this isn't always helpful for someone with more pressing current concerns. Other counsellors use CBT or different behavioural techniques to actively help you change and this is what you would benefit from I feel. Maybe look at your local directory to see who is out there or try your GP again?
Old 28-10-2010, 02:35 PM
cheeky_monkey

Thanks Starbuck, but there is only so much one person can do to help themselves. I make trips out of my way to places not easy to reach to attend these stupid appointments. I think I am past the point of caring about it now, especially when my GP tells me maybe I shouldn't give up. I could tell you more stories about the NHS like the time they decided to tell a 17 year old me I may never be able to eat again (due to an accident) but they decided to tell me on the only appointment I attended alone. In other words they were too guttless to tell me with my parents there, or when I was admitted to hospital and had to wait 24 hours and being discharged before they found out my jaw was broken (my face was huge and they can't even diagnose a broken jaw), or the time I decided to overdose due to a number of reasons and my psychologist was called out who said 'eh just leave her'. Or the time I was sectioned and injected by a sadist nurse who told me i was a psychopath as she smiled and injected me which knocked me out for three days. All I needed was someone to talk to for half an hour and perhaps something to calm me down but this nurse loved her injects, oh yes the look of pleasure as she injected me was kodak.
Old 28-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Deactivated Account
Sounds like you've had some pretty horrible experiences :(

It is good if you feel you can help yourself without needing support, as long as you're aware support is out there if you do need it ((if you see what I mean!).
Old 28-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Master
Personally for me it's just a matter of strong will. That's how I work and I know that doesn't work for everyone. Therapy or counseling too to help you understand why you have the addiction or an addictiver personality may help too.
Spiritlite.
Old 28-10-2010, 09:01 PM
cheeky_monkey

Thanks Starbuck and sorry everyone if it seemed I took over the thread. I wish I could help make some helpful suggestions. I agree therapy isn't for everyone. I've heard EFT is good as is NLP, but whether they can help with addictive personalities, I don't know.
Old 29-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Racer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple2
I've been looking for something that helps heal issues with addictions/eating disorder type problems. Something to eliminate addictive urges all together. People who have addictive personalities, will go from addiction to addiction (food,drugs,smoking,alcohol etc)...never breaking free.

I don't believe addiction issues are new to humans. I saw on a documentary that issues such as anorexia had even occurred in the 1800's. If addiction problems go back hundreds/thousands of years...I feel like their has to be a cure other than psychiatry or therapy.

I'm not asking to be turned to a religion or prayer or anything like that. I am more so asking if there are any healing techniques/rituals/healing stones....something to do that cures these problems?

A study was done on TM meditation and found that those who learned it and stuck with it, just stopped addictive behavior without any other effort. Addictions just seemed to no longer be needed or wanted, the underlying reason was resolved!

The rates were lowest for cigarette smokers, some 76+% quit at the end of the three year study, 50+ % quit within the first 6 months or so. The drugs and alcohol groups were higher, somewhere in the 85-90% range.

It worked for me.....even though I did not learn TM meditation specifically, I seemed to just do it automatically.

Your desire to quit is your strongest ally right now. A wise person once said "When your desire to overcome is stronger then your desire to continue, you will quit!"