Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM
ash_tree

Basic Practices

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me the basic practices of Buddhists? I am intrigued with the philosophy and with zen aspects of meditation, but I am hoping to expand my understanding.

Thank you!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM
celest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_tree
Hello,

Can anyone explain to me the basic practices of Buddhists? I am intrigued with the philosophy and with zen aspects of meditation, but I am hoping to expand my understanding.

Thank you!

Different schools have different rituals and devotional practises.
I follow Zen and if you are interested you might look at Thich Nhat Hnah, you will enjoy his teachings. His Holiness Dalai Lama is another beautiful soul who gives fullfilling teachings, so do many more. If you want very simplified down to earth teachings then I would recommend Ajahn Brahm, you,ll find them all on youtube as well as there own websites.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Suspended
There is maybe not an easy way to describe everything in a post.. The basic tenets of Buddhism are the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path and such teachings as the three marks of existence (impermanence, suffering and non-self). You can google these and find detailed descriptions online.

I would recommend buying or getting from the library one of the basic introductions to Buddhism. Recommended texts being:

Buddhism Plain and Simple: Steve Hagen
Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction: Damien Keown
An Introduction to Buddhism: Peter Harvey
Buddhism, A Short Introduction: Klaus Klostermaier

These all cover the same history and themes but I mention them all as one of the above will likely be in the local library...
Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 PM
celest

I,d like to add to Sunsouls list.
Buddhism for dummies.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Ascender

I've always considered the 5 precepts to be a basic part of Buddhism.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Suspended
I also posted this earlier which is a nice summary of main Buddhist principles:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=79985
Old 13-04-2015, 08:48 PM
agalo379

I have a pretty decent book called Buddha is as Buddha Does by Lama Surya Das. It mainly talks about the paramitas, but it describes practical ways to develop as a Buddhist.
Old 14-04-2015, 12:33 PM
ash_tree

Thank you all for your suggestions! I have read some books by Thich Nhat Hanh, such as Living Buddha, Living Christ and You Are Here, so I have been exposed to some aspects of some of the philosophies behind living in the now.