Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 29-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Guide

How do you define "enlightenment"?

There is no single agreed-upon definition of the word “enlightenment.”

For me, “enlightenment” refers on one hand to an attainable shift in conscious experience that is described in Zen and other traditions: a shift toward a more fluid, nondual, stable, mindful, accepting awareness—a lasting realization of Satori, in other words.

On the other hand, I also once rapped the words, “Find your own satori,” indicating my belief that people should define “enlightenment” for themselves. For me personally, enlightenment means affirming existence, realizing we are living in a kind of “sacred,” sublime wonderland, and treating life as an opportunity to create, adventure, enjoy, and learn as much as possible.

What does “enlightenment” mean to you?
Old 29-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Master
http://www.newworldlibrary.com/Artic...x#.V-zNcHnlvcs

https://www.facebook.com/Sean Baker
https://twitter.com/Sean Baker
[/color]
Old 29-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity69

Amazing article, thank you
Old 30-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Experiencer
The ending of attachment to conceptual thought.

“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
― Huang Po, The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On the Transmission of Mind

“Here it is--right now. Start thinking about it and you miss it.”
― Huang Po

“Suppose a warrior, forgetting that he was already wearing his pearl on his forehead, were to seek for it elsewhere, he could travel the whole world without finding it.” Huang Po

“Learn only how to avoid seeking for and attaching yourselves to anything.” Huang Po

“There is only the one reality, neither to be realized nor attained.” Huang Po
Old 18-10-2016, 05:03 AM
Master
Good question. I see people are just relying on quotes and articles, unable to define it for themselves.

I often ponder this question a lot as i don't know the answer myself. Perhaps enlightenment is an awakening to the truth within yourself. Or perhaps its realizing that there is no "truth" to be sought. There is no "self" to seek. Or maybe its the realization of your own unlimited potential. But even with words like "truth" one needs to be cautious. As just about anything can be labeled as truth. And the mind can be very cunning and cling to anything and say "this is the truth."
Old 18-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Deactivated Account

For me, it's the destruction and crumbling of everything you thought to be real. It's stripping away at untruths. It's getting to a peaceful state of being, until of course the next layering of stripping occurs... Get a helmet, its a wild ride..
Old 23-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Book1

To see more clearly, what was less clear previously, and when I state 'see' I mean to perceive, or understand if not comprehend a greater whole of related connections of a concept, or scenario, or set of events before us physically and/or abstractly.

Enlightment is a passing thing that comes and goes moment by moment, day by day week by week etc...imho

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 23-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Angel1

I don't use the word, nor define it....however...probably...
when we see no separation and know Who we are...
when we see this place is not real...when we see that Bliss is the Reality.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Ascender
I personally define enlightenment as feeling better than I did before, previously or in the past. I feel when we feel enlightened we feel lighter and less burdened by any heavy sorrows, pain or sadness within our souls, more closer to love, lightness and all that is good - shifting away or out of the dark. Just generally becoming closer and more truer to ourselves than ever before
Old 28-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Pathfinder
There is the joke about the guy sitting in the lotus position and saying:- "I've thought about it so much beforehand that now I'm actually enlightened I'm just a little bit disappointed'