Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
awilson

Smile Observing

Hello to all,

I have recently started to meditate and have been doing some research on the subject. I do have problems with 'chatter' but am sure with time this will pass. However, I do read on many sites about being the 'observer' of thoughts as they come and go as if I were another person. Just thought someone could explain this to me and of course if possible provide some tips on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson
Hello to all,

I have recently started to meditate and have been doing some research on the subject. I do have problems with 'chatter' but am sure with time this will pass. However, I do read on many sites about being the 'observer' of thoughts as they come and go as if I were another person. Just thought someone could explain this to me and of course if possible provide some tips on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Andrew
Mate, that's you and pretty much anyone else who's attempted meditation The key is to stop thinking of the chatter as a problem, because when you do view your thoughts as problematic, you go to war with your mind - and believe me, that achieves nothing, it only creates frustration.

So here's what I suggest: sit comfortably, so that you can breathe freely and deeply, and begin by putting your attention in your body. When thoughts inevitably arise, pay attention to the energy in your body that's underneath the thoughts. Inquire deeply into this energy, relax your body and really feel it, with no judgment or other form of opposition. When thoughts arise again, bring your attention back to your body; be vigilant, and recognise when the thought has arisen without 'following' it. And remember - 'I shouldn't be thinking!' is another thought!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
awilson

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes the thoughts come in so fast and so repetative. And yes, I then think that I shouldnt be thinking about thinking about the thought or even why I thought that thought. I dont really get the part about the energy under the thought?

Andrew
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Deactivated Account

When you observe your thoughts rather than try to stop them, you realise that silence is not a lack of thoughts, but instead the space before from which all thoughts arise.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Hadit

Quote:
Hello to all,

Thanks

Andrew

This seems to be just letting your mind race which is pretty much breaking the one rule of meditation. You can do passive meditation and clear your mind of focus on a specific idea or image and visualizing.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM
awilson

Hello and thanks for the replies,

@Hadit - yes, my mind does race a lot which I am trying to calm My mind races and my eyes flicker (perhaps I should use some tape to close them )

Re visualising - I would like to look more into this and have been trying to do some visualising sessions. I guess practise makes this more effective? because my visualising at the moments seems like a cd on fast play and then stop, fast play and then stop - I guess I need to concentrate more on the details.

Also, still on visualising. If I do an hour long meditation session is there any optimum time within that period that I should start visualising?

Thanks again to all

Andrew
Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Sometimes the thoughts come in so fast and so repetative. And yes, I then think that I shouldnt be thinking about thinking about the thought or even why I thought that thought. I dont really get the part about the energy under the thought?

Andrew
If you observe your physical reaction to your thoughts (or your mental reaction to your physical reaction, I'm not sure which way around it goes), you'll probably find that, somewhere in your body, there's agitation. Just notice the agitation, really zone in on the physical sensation of agitation without any mental commentary covering it up.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Guide
Quote:
Hello to all,

Thanks

Andrew

The whole observer thing is very general and can be applied to many aspects if meditation. We can observe our breathing, visuals, the chakras, etc. I would recommend starting with observing your breath. You don't want to just breath, you want to observe your breath. This means you want to feel it. Feel yourself inhale, feel the could air passing into your nostrils and down into your lungs, feel your lungs absorb the oxygen. Exhale feeling your diaphragm push the air out of your lungs and feel the pressure of the exhale. By feeling, we are therefor observing.

Observing the breath is a great way to stop the chatter as well. When you are feeling the breath, try repeating a mantra. You can say, in your mind, "in" when you inhale and "out" when you exhale. You can use longer mantras also like "inhale mind awake" and "exhale body sleep". These are the ones I use but it's up to you what mantra you want to repeat. As you repeat the mantra, the extra chatter will stop and you will be 100% focused on what you are observing (in this case the breath)
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.". - Pink Floyd

You'll find me here, in the back seat, just taking it all in
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Master
The Practice of the Neutral Witness is a practice of simply watching our thoughts and emotions, without getting caught up in them. One just watches what is happening, and their internal reaction, without any judgment or attachment and aversion.

Becoming angry is a good time to try to work with this practice. In the beginning, one will only be able to notice what they did after the anger response. Then, with practice, one will be able to watch them-self getting angry, but will still get caught up in the event and the normal anger response. With greater practice, while watching, one can actually take control of response and stop it if they want.

If one remains identified with what is arising in consciousness, it is very difficult to make any real change. But, if we can begin to breakdown our self-identification with thoughts and emotions, and even events in daily life, it becomes much easier. Similarly, one finds that by merely relaxing and letting go of self-identification with the emotions and thoughts, and focusing on what is happening at the moment, problems and issues just sort of fall away. Basically, the Neutral Witness is an exercise in the cultivation of self-awareness and focusing on the moment. At any time, anywhere, just let go and let be, and become the Neutral Witness of all that is transpiring within and all around you.

Pay attention to your body and with your awareness scan your body. Notice its posture and all of the sensations in the body, including any tensions or stresses. Then shift your focus to the feeling-emotions underlying the bodily sensations, allowing yourself to become aware of your feelings and emotions. Then shift your focus to the thoughts associated with these feelings and emotions. This practice can be done in the midst of any activity of daily life. One can engage in this practice for prolonged periods of time, but even just five or ten minutes here and there during the day is very powerful. Witnessing is not something you do, it is the realization of focusing on the moment. Awareness is always present, even when you are totally absorbed in an activity or thought
http://community.livingunbound.net/i...utral-witness/
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Hadit

Crowley wrote a great book on meditation called Book Four. I HIGHLY recommend it.