Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 29-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
What really makes a person a Christian?

Blackraven
I would say mainly it's the environment and how a person responds to it. In the US the dominant religion is Christianity, and everyone is influenced by it to some degree. Depending on the amount of influence and on traits of the person.. I think those are the major factors. They become united with it on a deep and personal level, and it becomes a part of them. I think it's great! I wouldn't have gotten into spirituality at all if it wasn't for Christianity.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Master
I'm hoping I haven't gotten off track. I don't understand a lot about Christianity even though I was raised Catholic, but stopped attending church some 17 years ago. I call myself a Christian, but truthfully, I am somewhat guilt-ridden at the same time because I don't embrace many of the views taught to me by the church. I sometimes feel like toting the "I'm a Christian" banner is not a complete picture of myself. I can appreciate MH's description of herself as Christianity being a part, but not the whole of her as with me.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby
Well, I believe what makes someone a Christian is to believe that

1) Jesus was/is God
2) You are a sinner in need of a Savior
3) God raised Jesus from the dead and that Jesus paid the full penalty for your sins
4) You receive Jesus as you Savior

I also think that you have to go to church and become a member of that church and tithe with that church 10%.....and then you are a christian...and a sinner.

For me Christianity it so full of contradictions to what Jesus actually taught that I can't even outline Christianity without pointing out the obvious.

Thanks Shabby. I would say more people than not have the same view as you have about what a Christian is. Unfortunately, this would mean that I am no longer a Christian because I stopped going to Catholic church 17 years ago. :(

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I wouldn't have gotten into spirituality at all if it wasn't for Christianity.

Seawolf - That is great!!!

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Master
Smile

Quote:
SG - You speak beautiful words. I feel what you're saying here totally. Basically I think you're saying it's not for us to determine whether or not a fellow person is a Christian or not? Am I understanding you right?

Blackraven

Aw, why thank you Blackraven.

I grew up in a time when 'everybody' in my little home town was Christian. Now I've been living in a big city with 'all kinds' for like decades. My Christian upbringing but specifically, my mother, raised me to be accepting, kind and respectful towards all people from all walks of life, it was a given that that's what you do.

Old 29-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Master

Quote:
I'm hoping I haven't gotten off track. I don't understand a lot about Christianity even though I was raised Catholic, but stopped attending church some 17 years ago. I call myself a Christian, but truthfully, I am somewhat guilt-ridden at the same time because I don't embrace many of the views taught to me by the church. I sometimes feel like toting the "I'm a Christian" banner is not a complete picture of myself. I can appreciate MH's description of herself as Christianity being a part, but not the whole of her as with me.

Blackraven
Maybe you should start going back to church?

Or you can redefine your beliefs according to where you're at right now, and accept that as ok?

I've heard of the Catholic guilt thing, I haven't experienced it exactly but have the Evangelical guilt (yes there is such a thing!), and it just took time finding myself to get away from that.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Shabby

Quote:
Thanks Shabby. I would say more people than not have the same view as you have about what a Christian is. Unfortunately, this would mean that I am no longer a Christian because I stopped going to Catholic church 17 years ago. :(

Blackraven

Yeah and me over 33 years ago. What saddens me is that so many have turned away from Jesus's teachings because of the churches interpretation of the N.T. I hope to see a time where people go back to their roots and embrace them...not as Christians but as true followers of Jesus.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:49 AM
nightowl

I believe a Christian as describe in the Bible was one who followed the teachings of Jesus, the rules and requirements came later under Constantine's state religion.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Aw, why thank you Blackraven.

I grew up in a time when 'everybody' in my little home town was Christian. Now I've been living in a big city with 'all kinds' for like decades. My Christian upbringing but specifically, my mother, raised me to be accepting, kind and respectful towards all people from all walks of life, it was a given that that's what you do.

SG - I have to laugh a bit because my church music director mother brought her fellow Catholic friend over to my house and my mother was a little embarrassed when her friend asked why I had a Buddha statue in my garden. She said, "Was that statue here when your daughter moved into the house." My mother said, "Yeah, I think it was." I'm still trying to work with her to accept all religions and faiths.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Royalite

Quote:
Prinie - Yes I agree with you...

It seems like a simple question, but really it’s not. I could say “Oh people who go to church that believe in Christ and that He died for our sins and was resurrected and ascended into heaven, are Christians,” but is belief enough? What about the man that goes to church on Sunday and beats his wife Monday through Saturday? Is he a Christian even though he believes in Christ?

And does one even have to attend an organized church at all to consider himself/herself a Christian? I think the answer is no. For example, someone could have an aversion to worshipping with other people in a public setting, for whatever reason, but prays at home in private. I would think he/she is just as much a Christian as one that attends church.

Blackraven

That's why I said to watch their actions and "a man is a man is man", blackraven.

If a man says he's Christian, that he believes in Christ and means it, then yes, he is a Christian. But just like the Muslim that beats his wife or the Buddhist or Hindu or Jew or Athiest or Agnostic or lightworker who does likewise, he's a man, a human. And his actions give testament to the state of his own soul. But all it takes to be a Christian and to be a part of the faith is belief that Jesus is the son of God. That's it.

Love without expectation of reward, good works, charity, freedom from judgement are all things that flow from the highest call of our heart and if that's the question you ask then many people who claim to be Christian are not just as many who claim to be of any other religion or follow a certain path are not. But it is not the foundation for the title of Christian.