Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 18-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Do you have any links or quotes that shows how the different tradition view Buddha Nature and why you think they are saying different things?

Google yourself, lots of interesting reading available.
Freedom From Buddha Nature... 'Accesstoinsight' is very good, but there are many more...

Why do I think they are saying different things, because I can read
Hope this helps..
Old 18-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Google yourself, lots of interesting reading available.
Freedom From Buddha Nature... 'Accesstoinsight' is very good, but there are many more...

Why do I think they are saying different things, because I can read
Hope this helps..

Sounds good.

Not sure Theravada has a good concept of Buddha Nature. As they don't believe it can be achieved in ones life time nor for anyone who isn't a monk/lama.

For in-depth discussions it is always best to provide quotes so that others can have an understanding instead of broad generalities.

Here is the link to Freedom from Buddha Nature.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...dhanature.html

He says nothing that disagrees with any other tradition on the topic that I am aware of.

Have you noticed there are no descriptions of Buddha Nature in Theravada/Access to Insight?

Theravada doesn't believe we are all Buddha's and that one just needs to realize it as you like to say.

That is more of Mahayana concept but then again you don't believe in Mahayana.. except this belief of course
Old 18-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Sounds good.

Not sure Theravada has a good concept of Buddha Nature. As they don't believe it can be achieved in ones life time nor for anyone who isn't a monk/lama.

For in-depth discussions it is always best to provide quotes so that others can have an understanding instead of broad generalities.

He says nothing that disagrees with any other tradition on the topic that I am aware of.

Have you noticed there are no descriptions of Buddha Nature in Theravada/Access to Insight?

Theravada doesn't believe we are all Buddha's and that one just needs to realize it as you like to say.

That is more of Mahayana concept but then again you don't believe in Mahayana.. except this belief of course

I believe what makes sense to me regardless of the Buddhist School the teachings come from
Old 18-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I believe what makes sense to me regardless of the Buddhist School the teachings come from

Ok,

Then why put down traditions that you take beliefs and ideas from?

You believe in Mahayana concepts but want to say it isn't Buddhist all the while saying what you believe is.

Speaks highly of you.

P.S. Find any information on Buddha Nature in Theravada yet?
Old 19-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Sounds good.

Not sure Theravada has a good concept of Buddha Nature.
How dare you put down the tradition! teehee.

Quote:
As they don't believe it can be achieved in ones life time nor for anyone who isn't a monk/lama

I don't think Gotama ever described it.

Quote:

Old 19-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Master
What is the goal of Theravada Buddhist practice? Perhaps I had erroneously mistaken becoming aware of the Buddha Nature to be an aspect of Awakening in the general Buddhist sense? If "Buddha Nature" is not in Theravada cosmology, what are the practitioners attaining or practicing towards? I'm a bit confused.

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 19-12-2017, 12:55 AM
Eelco

They are practicing to reach an understanding of the 4 noble truths.
The truth of suffering
The truth of the cause of suffering.
The truth of the cessation of suffering.
The truth of the path leading to the cessation of suffering.

According to the Theravadan perception this is all the Buddha himself said he taught.
He sometimes elaborated on the nature of the Tathagatha, but only if such an explanation would help someone understand the 4 noble truths.

He didn't teach enlightenment. Nor spirituality.. Just these four noble truths

With Love
Eelco
Old 19-12-2017, 12:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
They are practicing to reach an understanding of the 4 noble truths.
The truth of suffering
The truth of the cause of suffering.
The truth of the cessation of suffering.
The truth of the path leading to the cessation of suffering.

According to the Theravadan perception this is all the Buddha himself said he taught.
He sometimes elaborated on the nature of the Tathagatha, but only if such an explanation would help someone understand the 4 noble truths.

He didn't teach enlightenment. Nor spirituality.. Just these four noble truths

With Love
Eelco

Oh thank you Eelco! I think I understand. So Theravada Buddhists' sole interest is simply abide by the 4 noble truths and walk the 8 fold path to extinguish psychological suffering. This is sort of like a psychologist utilizing a therapeutic approach to eradicate cognitive distortions to bring wellness and peace. The mythological supernatural feats and abilities surrounding the Buddha including those spiritual ideas of reincarnation are simply symbolic representation of the psychological and philosophical process that Buddha was pointing to. This is beginning to make more sense to me now. However, I had always imagined that "Buddha Nature" to be what we discover when we apply and practice the psychological tools of 4 noble truth and the 8 fold path. I think I had erroneously attributed inherent well-being and peace to the term without realizing the various religious context. Thank you for the clarification! :)

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 19-12-2017, 01:11 AM
Eelco

I think it goes a bit deeper than simply abiding by them.
I am no Theravada scholar by any means, but goal is a deep realization of these noble truths. As that will lead to Nibanna. The supernatural abilities of the Buddha or any Arhat( one who has done what needed to be done) are very much considered real, not just symbolic. They are however side effect's that come with reaching the goal, not a goal in themselves.

I don't know if you ever heard of Dipa ma.. Her story I think is a pretty good overview of what is possible through the path. And paints the possibilities and what in essence is important.

With Love
Eelco
Old 19-12-2017, 01:15 AM
Eelco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipa_Ma