Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 22-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaere
It's worth considering this imo. Myself, I function best on 9 to 10 hrs (I only ever seem to get 5 to 6 though, that's life).

I am right on board with Gem's thoughts about quality of sleep as well... you may not even realize you're being roused, y'know? I sleep much better, much more 'solid' and I wake up more refreshed when I have a fan going with some white noise, it masks traffic and household noises. Blackout curtains are also a must for me, they help tremendously. And a heavy blanket, something with weight to it. You might consider giving these things a try to improve your quality of sleep if you haven't already.

But I say, if you need sleep, then sleep and enjoy it

Thanks = ) The problem is my sleeping IS messing with my life so I can't enjoy it anymore. I miss appointments frequently, I miss important plans with friends and end up cancelling...i'm wasting my life away in bed. Somehow knowing all this still doesn't give me the drive to get up?
Old 25-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
You obviously do have some things to get up for....friends waiting to share time with you, appointments to go to etc. So it doesn't sound like you have no incentives at all. I presume you like your friends and care about them?

Well, there is something you can do to test if this is a motivational psychological thing, or a "bad habit" you are stuck in, and you could test it for a week to see how you feel on it. If you feel bad as a result, stop doing it, and go back to bed! Let your body do its own thing while you try to work out some other strategy.

You can set your alarm clock for nine hours sleep. When it goes off, just get up, get in the shower, put some cold water on your face and eyes for a minute or two, get going. Switch on the radio, or music or whatever you like best, and go outside; walk in the garden with your morning drink. Even if you only have a door-step or balcony, get into the fresh air for a few minutes.
And every day do the same. Nine hours sleep, waking at that time the alarm goes off, and getting up. Nine hours should be enough for you to be healthy and not tired, unless you do have an underlying illness.

But another thing worth considering is your health and fitness. You could probably tell from a blood test if you were deficient in any vitamins or minerals. But that of course would only show a "deficiency" if you were well below the recommended levels -which are shockingly low as far as the medical profession sees it!
But getting that done might at least tell if there was some clinically-marked deficiency going on, or any other hidden issue which might not be helping. If someone is not really in peak health, the body can sometimes respond by wanting to go into sleep mode more frequently. All animals sleep more when they sense they are unwell. Deep down we sense that much healing can come in deep sleep, and so the body craves more of it. But with some things sleep alone won't help. Imbalances, deficiencies etc need to be addressed first.
So you could ask for that blood test to do a full analysis profile.
Old 26-05-2018, 03:17 AM
Master

Well, I have 2 grown children who keep pretty much the same hours you do and they manage their lives around it. I think it is more of a generational thing than anything to worry over. And most teenagers through about 25 - 30 can sleep the day away and play till the wee hours of the night. Until they have their own children, of course.

So you may have loads of children in your future and you are just getting the sleep you need now in advance!

Maybe you are not giving yourself enough credit, and putting too much pressure on worrying about ti. You might try a sleep trial, where they measure your brainwaves while you are sleeping. If there is anything abnormal they could tell you.

I remember reading somewhere something about allowing ourselves to do certain things that we really don't think are healthy or for our best good until there comes a day you can't allow that, and then you do what you have to do. So it's not like you couldn't, it sounds like it is just that you don't want to.

I think life is about finding your passion. What are you passionate about? What would you do, if no one ever paid you to do that thing, because you love to do it? Find that out, and maybe the sleep will naturally change cycles, or maybe you will be a midnight painter or sculpturer or whatever.

The night has a magic that they day lacks. Part of it is that, when the world sleeps, all of the electronics are mostly turned off. If you live in a city, it could be that you just feel better when all the electronics go to sleep. This is the most magical time of day.

Realistically, I think all humans sleep too much. How much is too much, I don't think anyone knows. I think we could all exist on less sleep, so you might try an experiment. Try sleeping for five hours, and setting an alarm and getting up five hours after you went to bed.

Have some coffee and if you are coherent after five hours, go for a walk. See how you feel. Try to walk in nature.

Nature, the energy of nature, may be what you are looking for, if you are inside too much. Find some outside time, find a beautiful place to be, where ever that is, and just be in nature. The energy of a tree, the sun shining, it may all help.

Try taking vitamins. Vitamin D for a lack of sunshine and Vitamin B's for energy, some electrolites might be good. Dr. Berg on you tube makes a great electrolite power and grass juice. It really perks the energy up.

Eat more vegees.

.......... :) .........
Old 27-05-2018, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Ooops....five hours? As a regular thing? I know I wouldn't be happy on that. Well yes, I could handle that for a day or so, as a one-off. That's what I got last night. I was okay today but could definitely tell I was sleep-deprived to some extent.
I always naturally wake up when I've had enough sleep. I find oversleeping almost impossible, and it is naturally around 8 hours. 9 is great when I can get it, but doesn't always work that way.

Sometimes I do the five-hour thing to make an astral projection experiment.

I really feel people don't sleep too much. There seems to be a general trend for sleep deprivation going on in our modern world. In fact it's even considered a "virtue" (would you believe?) to manage on little sleep (4-5 hours -or even crazy ideas like 20 minutes every 2 hours!) -and to force wakening sometimes even before dawn!

Some people seem to think that sleep is wasted time when they could be doing something more "productive". That is just a modern idea, and I think one day those viewpoints will change.

I am curious though about people who don't just wake up naturally when they have had enough sleep. I always found that I did.

But as for "teenage sleeping". ...I am still that way inclined and am in my 60s. Never was a crack of dawn person. yikes.....although on occasions I have pulled an all-nighter, I admit it is a terrifically beautiful time of day. If only my body agreed! haha!
Old 27-05-2018, 03:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnantique
I did all this and it was great when it was going, but I knew eventually I would hit a day where I slipped up. I think for me the important thing is to not give up. Right now it's hard to be hopeful because i've failed so many times.

I almost got up today early but I went back to bed and got up at 4pm (slept 1am-4pm). Unsure what to do now to fix it. I know when it's good..it's good and I keep going but on a day or two when I slip up I start thinking what's the point and sink back into old habits.

Perhaps it's finally time to forgive myself for failing so much and pick myself back up.

Well yes, everything you say is true, and I initially started out sticking to the program and there was improvements, but the old habits crept in and I went back to old ways, so to me, it is about habits and changing habits is really a change of lifestyle in general. So until doing the things I said improve my sleep become 'just what I do' it's not sustainable. Right now the old ways are 'just what I do', but they aren't good for me because erratic sleep messes up the rest of my life.

I'll get back on the program tonight, and this time I won't stop on the weekend - because last time I stopped for the weekend I fell into the old habits. It's important to be happy with the decisions so you can be glad when you see them through, and it's very hard to make the right changes all on your own. I saw a professional about the sleep who has a background in psychology, who I will check in with every two weeks so we can talk about what goes wrong and what works well etc. She has good ideas because she has all the training and experience in this stuff, and when I fail, as I have now, I can talk to her about how and why it broke down and figure a way to improve on it when I start again. On my own I would have no hope of sorting it out.

I also have to sort it out because I'm entering the fitness industry and will be taking clients early in the morning before they go to work, as well as late in the day after normal working hours, which I will not be able to achieve unless my sleep is properly regulated. This importance gives me the urgency I need to get the sleep right, because there is a lot riding on it. Without that urgency, I wouldn't have reason enough to see it through.

I really must see it through because if I don't, everything else will fail as well. So it's more than just sleeping involved. There is a bigger 'whole life' picture to it as well.
Old 28-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Ooops....five hours? As a regular thing? I know I wouldn't be happy on that. Well yes, I could handle that for a day or so, as a one-off. That's what I got last night. I was okay today but could definitely tell I was sleep-deprived to some extent.
I always naturally wake up when I've had enough sleep. I find oversleeping almost impossible, and it is naturally around 8 hours. 9 is great when I can get it, but doesn't always work that way.

Good golly no, I didn't mean 5 hours every night! I just thought it might shake up the sleep cycle if he tried it once.

I have to have 8 hours, or at a minimum 6, but I start work at 7:00 am, so I'm in bed by 8:00 usually asleep by 9:00 (it take me awhile to turn off) and up about 4:30 am. When the weather is nice, my husband and I walk in the mornings down by the river, and it is so beautiful to see the night sky and the stars and the moon when it is there and all the nature. Even the ducks and the geese are asleep. It's like we have the whole world to ourselves, very refreshing way to start the day.
Old 28-05-2018, 01:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnantique
Please help. I want to stop sleeping in but every morning I roll over because I love it (and medically you can't be addicted to sleeping so go figure). Any adice?

I think I could do with some positive reinforcement, so give me all your reasons why mornings are good!

For starters it's not uncommon for younger people to sleep longer than those older. As you grow older your need for longer amounts of sleep diminishes.

And, yes, depression can cause you to sleep in later than you normally would.

I used to have these same types of issues that you did, but have been able to eliminate them for the most part and am to sleep a normal sleep schedule. For starters getting on a schedule is very, very important to help you get this to a place you want to. As much as you would love to just sleep in, the longer you stay in, the longer you will stay up at night. It can cause a vicious cycle that becomes harder to break out. So get yourself regular with your getting to bed, and getting up. That really is important.

Secondly, how is your quality of sleep? I didn't see if you mentioned it. Do you get up a lot? Do you toss and turn a lot? If you don't know, try and get that checked. There is stuff you can get to help you monitor it at home if you don't know. That could also be a culprit to keeping you up. So could things like caffeine, and added sugars. Added sugars from things like junk food, can really affect your sleep patterns. As can taking naps that are longer than 1.5 hours. Anything more than that, is sleeping, and that will throw you off as well. I think even that may be too much at times. I used to take naps like that, not realizing how bad it was messing with me.

As for a psychological issue, how do you feel in the morning when going to get up? Besides the obvious, tired. Are you feeling like you don't want to. You don't want to go to work. You don't want to do this, or that. You just don't want to face life, or things like that? I've been there myself, where I just don't want to get up, for life, or work. And I will end up sleeping later, and falling back to sleep cause I don't want to get up.

Other things can be improper diet can affect our sleep and energy levels as well. There were times on certain diets, where I would be toast in the mornings tying to get up. That I needed to have a multi-vitamin just to get up out of bed in the morning. I would have no energy to do so.

This are just some ideas, and I hope you find answers. I love me some sleep.