Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 03-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Guide

How to get enough protein and calories (without dairy)

Hi

I'm currently pescterian (fish but no meat) and would like to become fully vegetarian but what worries me is eating enough. I have a poor appetite at the best of times and can't eat too much in one sitting. I'm not able to eat processed food, I'm gluten intolerant and I'm allergic to dairy so that is a no no. I can and do eat eggs but don't want to over-rely on them.

Any ideas for upping both calorie and protein intake? My diet is pretty good just a bit lacking. I eat mainly gluten free grains but with some spelt pasta which I seem to be okay with, beans, lentils, chickpeas, eggs, some nuts and seeds (mostly as butter, as I'm not keen). I use violife cheese sparingly to top some dishes. And at the moment I'm eating a variety of fish to top my intake.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Experiencer

Hi Hemera, First let me commend you on deciding to make the effort to adjust a little more in your eating habits. Some folks never get to the point you have so you deserve a round of applause. I was vegetarian for about 15 years and then overnight (well in a week anyhow because I had to do some grocery shopping to complete my change) and found it relatively easy to make that change. Perfection overnight though isn't what you're aiming for, but it's the big picture in the long run that counts. So don't worry, baby steps in the right direction are good.

I've been vegan for 10 years now and last year when I had a complete blood panel done, one of the things the doctor checked for was protein levels and that was perfect so it can be done easily. Every food has a certain amount of 'protein' in it (even blueberries!) so add them all together over the course of a day and it gets done.

Because I have a thyroid problem (autoimmune issues run in my family), I try to stay away from wheat products too. As far as the pasta's are concerned, there are also quinoa pasta's and edamame and black bean pasta's to chose from now too.

To make this easy for you, here's an example of a days meals for me:

1/2 cup oatmeal (with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, tsp chia seeds)
(you could use almond milk or soy milk or even rice milk on that)

protein smoothie (with 1 scoop Vega chocolate protein powder, 1 orange, 1 banana, handful of spinach/kale/romaine lettuce, 1/3 tsp ginger powder, 1/3 tsp pepper, 1/3 tsp turmeric and enough unsweetened soy milk to blend to the thickness you like) By the way, this makes enough smoothie for two, so if there's someone you can share with.....I don't know how they would keep in the fridge, maybe separate a bit, but what the heck, they taste so fabulous you might want to drink the whole darn thing yourself ;-)

and for supper, some kind of lentil curry made with a coconut cream over either noodles (see above) or with potatoes or over rice, steamed vegetables and maybe make a flatbread made of chick pea flour.

Snacking for me usually means a handful of walnuts (get your omega 3's from this) or even a couple of cold latke's which are a kind of potato fritter that I make with onions, quinoa flakes and shredded potatoes, chick pea flour and then seasoned and fried. An evening snack might be a bowl of wild blueberries.

If you decide to try the walnuts, keep them in the fridge. I used to leave them in the cupboard and then I'd get an awful burning taste/sensation in my mouth but I've since realized that they'd gone rancid in the room temperature. But keeping them in a tub in the fridge makes them last ages. Those are very good for soothing a hungry tummy I find.

This is a great time to be moving in the direction of a plant diet because there is so much information online, recipes, advice, support! One website that I like to recommend is this: Oh She Glows http://ohsheglows.com I've made a few of them and they're pretty easy and very yummy. I think you might like a few of them anyway while you're starting out.

The one other thing I recommend is that you buy a bottle of B12. As you're moving away from fish, you need to make sure you don't come up short with that one vitamin for sure. I buy the 1000mcg methylcobalamin tablets and you can take one just once a week.

Good luck on your new dietary journey and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I would love to help you get it right.

Debby.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Experiencer

Another idea is one I mentioned to Anthony. It's a tofu scramble and you can throw just about anything in it.

Any veggies that you love (cook in the order of hardness i.e. carrots first, finish off with the peppers, etc)
Season it with 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp pepper & salt to taste
Use one block of firm, organic tofu, crumbled to bite size chunks

You might find that adding a wee bit of water as you are sautéing it will help spread your seasonings more evenly.

And just before serving, drizzle with sesame oil and mix in thoroughly

(also keeps beautifully, reheats well or you can eat it cold like a salad for work the next day)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Guide

Debby this is all REALLY helpful and more informative than I was expecting, thanks so much! I will take it all on board and see how I get on. I do think I need to increase nuts seeds etc. I didn't know about the powder but sounds ideal especually as my appetite is quite poor. Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Experiencer
Personally I would like to lower my calorie intake and upper my protein intake.

Since about a week or two I started to take 2 portions of legumes a day. One at lunch and one as snack before dinner. That helpes.
I notice that my hunger feeling decreases which makes it easier to snack less. And that reduces my calorie intake from regular meals.

Legumes have a stabilizing effect on your blood sugar level. It reduces your hunger feeling. So if you would like to increase your calorie intake I suppose in your case you should lower your intake of beans, lentils, chickpeas and other legumes. I suppose that might trigger your hunger feeling. Are you trying to gain weight?

A lot of people would be happy to have your low sense of appetite.
But if it affects your mood in a negative way you obviously have a lack of essential nutritions as well.

I feel great the way I am doing now. Just have to keep an eye on my weight.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Guide

Not so much to gain weight, but maintain it.

Having no appetite is no fun believe me. I guess the grass is always greener. I wish I could eat more. I will try to advice here.
Old 26-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Newbie ;)

Hi there, according to me, you need to eat protein food like legumes and protein drinks which can increase the level of protein in your body. You can also take the help of diet guide which can guide you to eat balanced diet. I have heard good reviews about diet guide from Cellublue which helps to provide a balanced meal.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Master
It should be very easy without dairy. The best and probably cheapest source are beans. There are many types and you can combine them with rice for a satisfying meal. You can also put hummus or peanut butter on your sandwich.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Seeker

Try my bulgar wheat and split red lentil salad.

Two handfuls of bulgar wheat to one handful of split red lentils (this is a large serving for one but keeps in the fridge for the next day).
1 clove of garlic crushed in a garlic crusher.
Cover with boiling water and let sit for 30 mins until all water is absorbed.
Meanwhile - chop a red pepper up finely. Skin a quarter of a cucumber and chop finely.

Mix together, stir and keep cool in the fridge or on the side (covered) until serving.

We like it plain as a side with a green leafy salad and pan fried fish. I often eat the leftovers as a stand alone lunch. It’s Lebanese in origin and it is possible to make a sauce from yoghurt or olive oil and cumin, lime and coriander but I skip that.

I have been vegan, vegetarian, carnivore and now I’m happy just eating well. I have some meat in my diet but not everyday - I’m more interested in cooking from scratch with fresh food and ditching the processed foodstuffs.