Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 18-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Master
Does your christian church do anything special for christmas?

Does your church do anything special for Christmas for people?
Old 19-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Mary Baker

Our church being quite small , about 100 in attendance, there is nothing elaborate but we do observe the Advent candle lighting and annual Christmas Cantata. Our choir being somewhat diminished, we do not plan any Christmas Caroling as we have in years past.

We have collected donations for the Angel Tree at the local DHS to provide gifts for needy children and also to the local Women's Shelter for women and their children who seek refuge there from abusive relationships. We usually also visit and take small gifts to the local nursing home as some residents there have no family to visit them. We also, along with other churches participate in preparing baskets of Christmas food for underprivileged families. Other churches also are involved in these community ministries.

Our Lottie Moon Christmas offering also helps finance our denomination's foreign missions and honors Lottie Moon who spent forty years in China, blending in with the culture and learning to love and respect the people. Lottie was a very intelligent and well educated young woman She excelled in language, becoming proficient in Latin, Greek, French, Italian and Spanish as well as learning Chinese and Hebrew. Her bio is pretty interesting and somewhat unconventional.
She died on shipboard in her seventies on her way home after starving herself in order to share her food with her Chinese neighbors during a famine. She weighed only 60 pounds at the time of her death.
Christmas is a good time to remember that it is more blessed to give than to receive.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Master
The Lutheran Church, like many others, has charitable missions, both locally and internationally.

Christmas time the Messiah Concert takes place!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
as a Jws, of course EVERYONE knows we don't. because we don't choose to follow what man says we should do. celebrate a day someone picked to say Jesus was born. there's no biblical proof. and Jesus NEVER told his followers to do this. if many tooked the time research the origins of christmas. they would understand why, not just us, but a few others, don't.

but even if there were proof Jesus told us to do this. many places of worship, (i've seen), have a big wreath on their door. my question is... what's up with the wreath? what does that have to do with Jesus birth? my point is, even
many religion follow the world. something God don't want, (James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God).

the words adulterers in this scripture doesn’t apply to married people having sex outside the marriage. This is referring to those who claim to be servants of God, those who does many things of the world, and Hangs with those who doesn’t worship God). to say it's about "god" makes it easier to follower the world, (something many "men of god" are doing. than to teach the truth, and be looked at differently like Jesus was with those false ministers of his day.
peace
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 AM
iScorpio

My church has a band that sings and they had a special performance. I love my church <3
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Dilchannan

We had some beautiful performances from members of the church, along with a few really cute performances from the children. Some member went caroling on christmas eve, collecting tithes to help our needy families, and on christmas day, we had a nice breakfast after the sermon...All in all it was very nice!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM
TeeHee

We had provided meals and companionship for almost a hundred people who were without families. Not to mention the food drives and gifts for under privileged people that are currently facing difficult times.

On a performance note, one of the mega churches provided quite a show for free. There were a few thousand people showing up every night a few nights up to Christmas. Evangelicals really seem to spare no expense during Christmas.

As I sat through it though, I kind of thought for a moment how cultural we are today as a Christian nation. Probably not so different from other nations and followers of their national religions. Partial attendance throughout the year, on special holidays, and as a result they're lacking any in depth knowledge and understanding of their religion.

Any hoot, t'was a great Christmas. It was great to see so many in Christ, regardless if it was only for once upon a time in a year.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Ah, I remember when I first started to go to church, the pastor of this particular church posted a list on the bulletin board with all his bills which he felt the congregation should pay for, and if you didn't have the money to pay his bills, then sign up to clean the church or something. I thought it was ludicrous, but people were signing up left and right. He asked if I would clean the basement of the church. I looked at him like he was crazy, but foolishly said I would. He commended me on what a wonderful job I did that he wanted me to do other work for him. he and his wife called me to type up a report for their oldest daughter, baby sit their youngest son, then the mrs. wanted me to iron their clothes. I told them enough already. I was done. They thought me an infidel. Well, I am now.

Anyway, that's what they wanted their congregation to do for this particular christmas and for the whole year and subsequent ones.

I quit going to any church over ten years ago. For me, I just don't believe in religions...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Administrator
Hello

I do not attend one that be "Christian" in its path but Metaphysical so embraces all faiths and religions.

What we did was give to a local Soup Kitchen, a family, and a Woman's centre.

We are not a big group maybe 60 members.

We had a Chirstmas Service and a Pot Luck Lunch after I donated and cooked a turkey for everyone....was a huge success. ( I dont cook lol ).

We too had New Year's Day the doors open and did messages for all there in attendance and a Pot Luck Lunch....

Its not the numbers or the $ amounts that count the MOST its the giving of support to those that might other wise be alone.

Lynn
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM
silent whisper

My family ( we are like a church..:) discussed this year that next year we might open our family gathering to those less fortunate/homeless/those in need, to join us for a family lunch. My immediate family is rather large ( sixty) but we notice each year the food we end up having is ample and would feed others. So next year its my turn to do the Xmas dinner with my family. You have reminded me on how I might open to that space for that time...:)