Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 22-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Master
Pro's of using reversals?

Of late I have wondered about the advantages of using reversed Tarot cards.
I've never done that, just didn't feel right. Even though I know a reversal isn't bad, sometimes even better than upright, I still always got a sinking feeling when I saw a reversed card
But for some reason or other it is beginning to appeal to me. Maybe because of the many readings I'm watching on YouTube and they all use reversals.

I'm wondering... is it easier -and thus faster- to read when you use reversals, in the sense that you spot right away whether a card / situation/ reading is positive or negative than when you do uprights only?
Or doesn't it matter much in that sense cos then you have to deal with figuring out which of the gazillion interpretations of the reversals you're dealing with?

Also, do you do anything to manage the percentage of reversals in the deck or do you simply mix them all up and let 'fate' decide?
I believe that's the part I dislike about it, so many cards ending up reversed after a while which makes me feel it's just pot luck and not Spirit talking anymore.
I've seen some readers turning reversed cards upright when their intuition tells them to. You guys do this as well?

Tons of questions, but I'm curious as doing this will mean a big change for me.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:39 AM
55Degrees

It's trial and error for every reader. I use reversals with some of my decks but not all, mainly because I have certain decks I only use for specific purposes.
This is all my personal opinion so take from it what you will.

Quote:
I'm wondering... is it easier -and thus faster- to read when you use reversals, in the sense that you spot right away whether a card / situation/ reading is positive or negative than when you do uprights only?

Not necessarily faster or easier, however it can draw your attention to something that is requiring the sitter to pay more heed to, kind of like a red flag.

Quote:
Or doesn't it matter much in that sense cos then you have to deal with figuring out which of the gazillion interpretations of the reversals you're dealing with?

You have to figure out the gazillion interpretations of an upright card anyway, a reversal may just confirm that not everything is hunky dory. An example of this is from a recent reading I did for myself. The card was 9 of Cups in the position of 'fundamental issue'.
A lot of readers see this as 'the wish card' (I don't) or personal happiness/satisfaction.
As a fundamental issue, how did that fit? Well it was telling me I was putting my own happiness/satisfaction before others in a rather selfish way (supported by other cards in the reading). Reversed it could also have been suggesting disatisfaction if I had put other people's feelings before my own by being selfless (which would also have been true).
I think when using a spread with set card positions then reversals aren't always required but in a free form reading (no set positions) then reversals clarify a different aspect.

Quote:
Also, do you do anything to manage the percentage of reversals in the deck or do you simply mix them all up and let 'fate' decide?
I believe that's the part I dislike about it, so many cards ending up reversed after a while which makes me feel it's just pot luck and not Spirit talking anymore.

I let the cards decide by taking random groups from the deck and flip them, place them back into the deck, shuffle a couple of times and repeat.
Every so often I'll go through the deck and turn them all the right way up and the do what I described above 3 or 4 times.

Quote:
I've seen some readers turning reversed cards upright when their intuition tells them to. You guys do this as well?

I never turn a reversal upright, I believe it's there for a reason and if my intuition gives me any reason to believe the card may not be telling me everything, I pull 3 cards to give me info into what is going on underneath/behind the scenes, as a reversal can indicate an excess as well as a lack of something.

Like I said, this is my personal feelings around reversals. Some awesome readers have never used reversals, some do, some have and no longer use them. It's all about gut feeling and your relationship with your deck.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Master
Thank you so much, very insightful! I especially like what you say about no reversals when there's set positions. Makes a lot of sense.
I may do a similar thing, do reversals at times, with certain decks, not always, and for starters not with Tarot of Sexual Magic.
Thank you, very helpful!

Old 23-02-2018, 04:31 AM
Master
Good question. When I started doing reversals, personally for me my readings had more profound answers than when I was doing upright cards only at first. So I shuffled my deck, partly also because I am very clumsy with my decks, the keep falling and I keep arranging them in whatever order. So I rather let them be upright/ reversed whatever way.
I think its the same , upright or reversals, as long as you want to get the best out of your readings, it's not much different when you start to do readings anyways. But the first ideas of having a reversed card can have that unknown feeling to it. Sometimes even reversed cards, can have positive meanings depending on surrounding cards. Like one time I remember reading for someone and ten of swords reversed came up with two of cups and death, in a very bad situation and that meant help at hand in the last moment. So it wasn't as bad as an upright ten of swords would have been ( a definite injury ).
Sometimes when I ask questions about myself , it gets frustrating unless I am keen on doing shadow work anyways. But the cards get interesting.
I like to mix it up a bit, and reversals are fine by me, I don't want to read cards only one way.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Master

Barring Lenormand (and possibly also Kipper), I am reversals all the way as a reader, even when there are set positions.

For me it's the difference between using A-N in the alphabet and using A-Z; I would rather my cards speak honestly and fully to me rather than censoring the breadth of what they're able to say to me.

Did I have to learn more interpretations? Initially probably yes - but do I find them as easy to read now as their upright counterparts? Definitely. I think with cartomancy you get to a certain point where you stop trying to refer to pre-remembered definitions in your head and simply go on your gut/intuition/what you experience in that moment from the card. I feel like whether the card is upright or reversed after that doesn't matter.

Back to reversals - as this means I am more likely to see cards that other people find 'scary', it puts a bit more responsibility on me to read when I'm in the correct frame of mind (ie always appreciating the cards are trying to be helpful), and picking spreads thoughtfully. Basic things like always remembering to pull an 'advice' card or VERY CAREFULLY selecting tarot questions become critically important. This is easier for me to do when reading for other people, for obvious reasons! :)

Usual disclaimer: There's no right and wrong in tarot etc.
Old 25-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Master
Thank you all for your feedback!
I think I'll just give it a whirl and see whether I like it, or not :)
Old 25-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Hello

I have never felt right reading reversals. Too I have had many readings where the reader reads them or auto turns them and reads them upright. Its a personal thing I think done by the reader maybe how they are trained.

I do not like to use my deck until I go through every card and make sure first there are no reversals and second no cards with a damaged edge, as I have extra decks of my most use for replacements.

Too I have never had any sort of formal tarot reading training its all intuition for me. For something to be upside down feels like the reading is well upside down. I do read "flyers" cards that just seem to come out of the deck, where some readers stuff them back in.

Lynn
Old 26-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Master

I can not do reversals . I have tried. I find it easier with phone decks which explain reversals and include them as an option. But when reading with cards I prefer asking a question about blocks and challenges (which is a set position) than using a reversed card. I like all my cards upright when shuffling a deck unless it jumps out reversed.
Maybe someday when I am guided to use reversals and learn them properly I will.
That said I have received astoundingly accurate readings from some people who have posted in favour of reversals above( as also from Lynn who does not use them). Thank you all folks !!
Old 03-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Master
I mostly use reversals but sometimes (for a reason only the Universe would like to comment on) I choose not to use reversals.

I don't see a problem either way. Reversals get more meat out of the reading for me personally, but then again, I also read light and shade if I don't use reversals. It's all a learning process and doing what feels good at the time. (A bit like an old lover, hahahaha. Sorry, I couldn't resist).

I'd start a thread on reversals and light and shade but fear no-one would use it so probably not much point, so you'll just have to experiment yourself.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:17 AM
55Degrees

I'd join in