Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 27-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Knower
Fenrir?

I feel out of all the god's that Fenrir is the most i can relate to? I believe this is becuase im generaly an outsider and have a strong Efficacy with wolves spiritually

What i know of Fenrir is:
Fenrir (or Fenris) is a gigantic and terrible monster in the shape of a wolf. He is the eldest child of Loki and the giantess Angrboda. The gods learned of a prophecy which stated that the wolf and his family would one day be responsible for the destruction of the world. They caught the wolf and locked him in a cage. Only the god of war, Tyr, dared to feed and take care of the wolf.
When he was still a pup they had nothing to fear, but when the gods saw one day how he had grown, they decided to render him harmless. However, none of the gods had enough courage to face the gigantic wolf. Instead, they tried to trick him. They said the wolf was weak and could never break free when he was chained. Fenrir accepted the challenge and let the gods chain him. Unfortunately, he was so immensely strong that he managed to break the strongest fetters as if they were cobwebs.

After that, the gods saw only one alternative left: a magic chain. They ordered the dwarves to make something so strong that it could hold the wolf. The result was a soft, thin ribbon: Gleipnir. It was incredibly strong, despite what its size and appearance might suggest. The ribbon was fashioned of six strange elements: the footstep of a cat; the roots of a mountain; a woman's beard; the breath of fishes; the sinews of a bear; and a bird's spittle.

The gods tried to trick the wolf again, only this time Fenrir was less eager to show his strength. He saw how thin the chain was, and said that was no pride in breaking such a weak chain. Eventually, though, he agreed, thinking that otherwise his strength and courage would be doubted. Suspecting treachery however, he in turn asked the gods for a token of good will: one of them had to put a hand between his jaws. The gods were not overly eager to do this, knowing what they could expect. Finally, only Tyr agreed, and the gods chained the wolf with Gleipnir. No matter how hard Fenrir struggled, he could not break free from this thin ribbon. In revenge, he bit off Tyr's hand.

Being very pleased with themselves, the gods carried Fenrir off and chained him to a rock (called Gioll) a mile down into the earth. They put a sword between his jaws to prevent him from biting. On the day of Ragnarok, Fenrir will break his chains and join the giants in their battle against the gods. He will seek out Odin and devour him. Vidar, Odin's son, will avenge his father by killing the wolf

Could anyone tell me any other information on him? or their veiws on him?
Old 27-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Animus27

Fenrir is not a god.
He's a devouring beast who is an enemy of mankind and kills the god who ordered the world. Why would you want to worship that?

I can see why you might be interested in his role in myth and so forth, but actually honoring him would not be wise, in my opinion.

You, of course, are free to do whatever you wish. But consorting so closely with one of Loki's progeny will likely reinforce your self described "outsider" quality.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Dragonfhain

My views of him: YUCK! No way would I worship Fenrir!!! No offense to anyone else. I don't like him and never will!
Old 29-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Tanith

While I have no direct issues with Loki himself (as I've said on other threads, Loki reminds me somewhat of Pan) I do have reservations about Fenrir. While I have always been fascinated by Fenrir and enjoy lore surrounding him, he is a spirit to watch out for- a manifestation of darker side that is best left to those who cannot become contaminated by that dark side.

Loki is one of those who can switch easily from the light to the dark- as a wiccan I accept both good and evil as being necessary. However, beings that dwell solely in the dark should be known but avoided. (The same, of course, could be said for beings who dwell solely in good as extremes on either end can be disastrous.)

While your totem may be the wolf, I would advise you not to see Fenrir as a patron of any sort. Wolves are wise and only tend to cause necessary destruction, never unnecessary. Make sense?

I hope this helps :)
Old 29-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
While I have no direct issues with Loki himself (as I've said on other threads, Loki reminds me somewhat of Pan) I do have reservations about Fenrir. While I have always been fascinated by Fenrir and enjoy lore surrounding him, he is a spirit to watch out for- a manifestation of darker side that is best left to those who cannot become contaminated by that dark side.

Loki is one of those who can switch easily from the light to the dark- as a wiccan I accept both good and evil as being necessary. However, beings that dwell solely in the dark should be known but avoided. (The same, of course, could be said for beings who dwell solely in good as extremes on either end can be disastrous.)

While your totem may be the wolf, I would advise you not to see Fenrir as a patron of any sort. Wolves are wise and only tend to cause necessary destruction, never unnecessary. Make sense?

I hope this helps :)

Thanks x this does help a bit.
I've just been interested by him lately and have been trying to find out other people's views on him and how he behaves
Old 29-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Tanith

Nothing wrong with exploration and inquiry :) It is always best to know or be familiar with something, whether you avoid it or honor it.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
Nothing wrong with exploration and inquiry :) It is always best to know or be familiar with something, whether you avoid it or honor it.

I think I'm going to study wolves and other wolf deities and see what message fenrir is possibly trying to send me, if he's trying to send me a message at all
Old 29-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Arawn

I can't add much about Fenrir because just about everything was covered, but I can say what I think of him. I'm a fan of Fenrir, but I'm also a major fan of Loki and Jörmungandr. I have always been drawn to deities like Loki and the offspring of those deities, though.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn
I can't add much about Fenrir because just about everything was covered, but I can say what I think of him. I'm a fan of Fenrir, but I'm also a major fan of Loki and Jörmungandr. I have always been drawn to deities like Loki and the offspring of those deities, though.

With loki I'm sort of 50/50 I like some aspects of him but other aspects I don't, but with Fenrir I feel strangely drawn to him, if you know what I mean?
Old 20-03-2012, 10:27 AM
breath

Fenrir never stops growing, like a hungry-demon that exists within us all and threatens our subjective reality. While we enjoy feeding the pup, littering our lives with ego-tistical ambitions and individualist 'dreams' we continue to allow the selfish dog inside grow and grow until eventually you wake up to find that your life has been transformed into a shell of a life. The meat all torn off the bones of your experience.

Fenrir represents to mystics a being which symbolises the potentially destructive effect of our 'unnecessary needs'. For instance, Kony's need to improve his world and make himself happy has interacted with the ignorance of his ego and created a situation in which everything is going to get worse for him.

Fenrir's natural hunger to satisfy a pain in his stomache will eventually lead not only to the end of our world, but the end of his world too. He will eventually consume absolutely everything including himself.

Fenrir isn't to be associated with every other wolf, that association exists only because of the aggression, selfishness and hunger which wolves appeared to possess in great amounts to the ancient nords.

Let's analyse the basics in a way in which you can follow however you like..

Tyr: the son of odin (the result of spirit)

Fenrir: means wolf-for-fame, hungry purely through ego and so is never satisfied and continues to grow and grow while absorbing all

The part of us which is connected to odin can overcome the inner hungers which we all experience and lead us to pain. This results in self mastery, which has the by-product of helping us become perfect warriors and women, able to improve the world and destroy the dark beings of ignorance and deceit.

Being drawn to fenrir may be because of your love for wolves, your association with self destruction or an anger of addiction or addicted person in your life. Befriend your inner fenrir, don't chain him down with chains (make him your enemy) nor let him run freely throughout your inner realm (become your problem) but instead befriend and subdue him, even if it required giving up something you feel is useful to you.