Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 21-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Master
Medicine Box?

Hello.

I have a question perhaps, for those who have knowing in North American Native culture if anyone does not mind answering.

I know traditionally Natives to North America used what is known as a medicine bag.

Lately I have been using something else momentarily for storage of medicinal herbs, stones, small personal items, etc and that is I have designated a small box, to serve the same function of a medicine bag, only it holds less appeal for portability.

What I was wondering, is essentially are there any Native uses for boxes? I have seen pictures online of smudge boxes, and this leads me to another question, traditionally to Native North Americans were smudge boxes really used?

I see a lot advertised for sale online, but this makes me wonder if this is not just advertising.

I am wondering truly what boxes were used for traditionally in Native Culture if indeed they were used and for what purposes?

To have an idea what I mean by box I will post a small image of mine- left closed- for understanding purposes- I had my box open, but closed it upon taking the photo.

While I know such boxes were probably not used in the manner in which I am currently using mine- as medicine boxes- I am interested in the uses of boxes in Native North American culture, and will be grateful to any whom can help me with my question.

- Side note: I realize this box I put together is not desirable for travel, and I do have a medicine bag itself for traveling purpose.