Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 25-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Pathfinder
. .

Hello, I'm Anant.

Its been just weeks that i have really started discovering myself and my first step was practicing stillness of the thoughts, just few moments ago from now i realized even in the calmest of situations there is always one voice i find myself listening to. It's not disturbing or something but still very dominating. Sometimes i'm able to stop this voice but only for very brief moment, as i'm writing this, i can feel the voice somewhere in the background and nothing else.

Whose voice is this and who realized this voice?
Old 25-03-2013, 07:04 PM
DrWho

Hi Anant,

The problem is one we all have, and that is concentration of mind. This is one of the first exercises disciples of mystics in Tibet undergo.

I suppose you have heard the phrase 'what we resist persists, and what we look at disappears'?
Perhaps you are trying too hard? you see, if you fight something it will remain, and get stronger. Because by fighting it, you make it bigger, because you give it your energy.

When a thought comes into your mind, simply acknowledge that it is there, and then move away from it. If you try to stop it coming into your mind, it will get stronger.

So simply move away from the thought, back to zero thought, a single thought, or a train of thoughts. At first you will be beset with problems and distractions as the thoughts themselves have a sort of life, and letting them go means their death. So they have a certain instinct for self preservation, if limited intellect. They will try everything to hang on.

You could try getting a set of large wooden beads. The beads must be in multiples of 9. For example 36 beads, 90, or 108 beads. Now when a thought comes into your mind, move one of the beads, and gently come back to vacancy of mind.

At first you might find the beads themselves a distraction, but as time goes by you will forget about them, and you will have to move the beads less and less.

I might point out that you could have too many expectations? Expectations lead to frustration, and quitting the path...

But at least you do not suffer the worst spiritual malady- self complacency.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Pathfinder
So you mean to say any thought/voice no matter how important they project themselves is a distraction in achieving that stillness.

Because for once when i realized i assumed this voice to be a guide in my spiritual development.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:44 PM
DrWho

Quote:
So you mean to say any thought/voice no matter how important they project themselves is a distraction in achieving that stillness.

If they distract that stillness yes !

They might go under the pretence they are your guide, but they are not.

A real guide would never try to disturb spiritual exercises. Why? because these exercises are growth, connecting you to who you are. So why would a spiritual guide wish to stop you growing?

Its probably because the 'guide' doesn't wish for you to grow ! So it pretends to be your friend, you guide, and helper. Your subconscious is in opposition to your mind. Positive and negative again. The subconscious mind doesn't wish the status quo to change. There is positive and negative in everything.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:47 PM
DrWho

The very fact that you are now atempting to change the status quo is significant. I would guess that the voice is stronger now than at any other time?

However if the voice is inspiration, then that is a different matter, but again inspiration would never distract you, illuminate you yes, but not distract.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Pathfinder
Voice is gone.
For now i cannot find it.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Pathfinder
Thank you so much. It's 1:23 AM here in India. Pretty much time for me to rest. Thank you for whatever you have done Doctor.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:59 PM
DrWho

Glad to help a fellow student along the way. You did it by yourself !!!
Old 26-03-2013, 03:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomheroine
Whose voice is this and who realized this voice?
You realized that that voice is there.

There is no single answer to whose voice it is. Most common suspects are your ego or an echo of an indoctrinating parent or teacher. However there are hundreds of possible sources for it.

I suggest you persist in silencing it also as you have with the others. If by some chance its a long forgotten part of you, it will be able to communicate with you in other ways.