Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 AM
deepsea

Losing faith in Spiritualism.

I am losing my faith in Spiritualism.
I still believe but I am now becoming very disappointed in the spiritualist religion itself.

I find it is becoming very 'hard core'.
Spiritualists themselves seem to belong to a closed section of religion.
I am on quite a few spiritual sites,some are friendly and some are not.

There are discussions on PM (Physical Mediumship) which are great but never seem to hit rock bottom.
PM started back in the Victorian age but seems to have lapsed since then.
Closed circles are very rare now,and trying to get into one is like trying to enrol in some secret society.

I haven't been to a spiritualist church for some years now but have decided to give it another go.
i am attending a service tomorrow evening so will see how it progresses.
Wish me luck that faith returns.
Deepsea
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Master
Hi D.S.

I do see from where your coming..

There definitely seems a regimental approach more than ever, certain spiritual governing bodies are having there hands tied by red tape, and spiritual common sense seems to be falling short for sure.

Money and power seems to have Infiltrated Into spiritual organizations also, “where has the love gone”? Where has the spirituality In spiritualism gone?

Perhaps you could start up your own circle? I know how difficult It Is to find one.

x daz x
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
deepsea

You are so right,believe me.
Where has the spirituality gone?
I remember visiting spiritual churches many years ago and the atmosphere was friendly and members were welcomed in.

What I don't like is the heirarchy surrounding spiritualism today.
The arguments that abound,the scramble to get into the highest position and oh,mustn't forget,the money that must be involved.
Open circles and Closed circles seemed to have disappeared or are being run under deep secrecy. Trying to get into one is like trying to visit Buckingham palace!

Thank you for your imput.God-Light.
Greatly appreciated.

deepsea
Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Serenity Bear

For me Spiritualist churchs have always been clique and unfriendly. Im afriad some of the congregation have lost the plot and developed huge egos and thus tight nit groups etc. However if you actually met most of the mediums they are as loving, and kind as ever. When you get a large group of mediums and fledglings together (ie Arthur Findlay College), it is a complete blast, very laid back but hard working.

I agree the religion itself is undergoing changes, but it is needed.

The closed circles have always been hard to get into, because they need to protect the mediums in question. It took me a good 4 years to find the one I attended for years, but now due to illness I find it impossible to attend one. The closed circles are by INVITATION only, so you simply wont know of its exsistence until they wont you to join. There are plenty still about.

Due to the Uk (at least) attitude to development and closed circles, with the likes of the law being changed and in the past the likes of Helen Duncan happening, we have to protect ourselves from anyone who would wish the attendees harm.

As always you dont really need to attend Church to be a Spiritualist, you just need to practice it every day.

Lastly, it is a known phenomena that during peace times Spiritualistism subsides but becomes extremely popular once war breaks out.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Master
What is it that you want?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Hey Deepsea

I have never got on with spiritulist churches i used to attend a Healing sanctuary that was great, everybody spoke nobody was made to feel uncomfortable like u can get in some spiritulist churches,
i know a lot but dont say because ive no desire to broadcast what i do.we are all on our own journey some roads can become bumpy some smooth but you have to find a circle you feel comfortable in. where u can develop in your own time,
i hope you find peace and what you need in the spiritulist church u are going to.

Namaste
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
mac

May I remark that although Spiritualist churches may have their faults - are any others perfect? - that Modern Spiritualism isn't simply the churches?

Those who know me know that I'm a Spiritualist who presents Spiritualism-based topic threads but I rarely visit churches.

If you see folks arguing online it's not to do with Spiritualism it's to do with their personal perspectives and specialities. I've never found Spiritualist philosophy and teachings to be anything other than illuminating, enabling. The people, though, are as variable as found in the rest of humanity!

Spiritualists are simply humans with all the variation, all the failings, all the good stuff on occasion that makes humankind much the same the world over. Spiritualism is far less variable and wholly predictable.

The church is only a reflection of its members, good and less good.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Deactivated Account
I agree with Mac. My local spiritualist church was a major disappointment with at least two unimpressive mediums and a very cliquey congregation. I recently went to a different area which couldn't be more welcoming. They were more than happy to accept people into their development circles too. Sadly, due to my ill health I had to decline but I got a very good feeling about the place and people. There are still good churches out there but it depends on who runs it, who goes and the mediums they get. That will vary everywhere.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
spirit72

I really don't feel your going to get your faith back through a spiritual church... I went for a few weeks and I have never seen so much ego and back biting in all my life... There were so many people fighting over who should run it... And others that thought they had better gifts that other gees it was a nightmare, if anything I almost thought about forgetting ever being able to explore my faith in peace, like you for sometime my faith was weak... But then I started reading about bits and bobs and discovered that my faith was just that mine, no one has the right to tell you what to believe , and you can choose not to take onboard Anyones opinion that dose not site right with you... Keeping your faith strong is sticking to your own values and beliefs. By all means value other opinions, and maybe take a part of it for yourself, but only if it sits right with you... That way your under no pressure...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit72
I really don't feel your going to get your faith back through a spiritual church... I went for a few weeks and I have never seen so much ego and back biting in all my life... There were so many people fighting over who should run it... And others that thought they had better gifts that other gees it was a nightmare, if anything I almost thought about forgetting ever being able to explore my faith in peace, like you for sometime my faith was weak... But then I started reading about bits and bobs and discovered that my faith was just that mine, no one has the right to tell you what to believe , and you can choose not to take onboard Anyones opinion that dose not site right with you... Keeping your faith strong is sticking to your own values and beliefs. By all means value other opinions, and maybe take a part of it for yourself, but only if it sits right with you... That way your under no pressure...

Yuh know the one thing I've never needed is 'faith' since learning the message of survival, and from reading the words of guides and teachers closely associated with Spiritualism's philosophy.

I didn't need the church, others do. And the message can be found elsewhere without needing to visit a building. The church is a meeting point for like-minded individuals. If you find you don't share the approach of the individuals or congregation, so what? You don't have to. Doesn't mean you're wrong and they're right or vice versa.

You just see things differently but the message of survival is never different - and that's what really matters.