Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Neqodin

Fresh perspective

For most of my life I believed that when we die we would ascend into Heaven and live in eternal peace. There are many who still believe this and for them I am sure that this thought brings great comfort, especially as life is often viewed as being such a painful experience in which we have to tolerate living in this awful world.

However, through being introduced to Asatru, belief in the Norse pantheon and through a realisation that without Gods interfering in my life I did not have to feel guilty about the way I behave, I began to see that believing in an afterlife was taking away from my enjoyment of living and distracting me from the real beauty of this Earth.

Instead of denying yourself an enjoyable life, it is easy to rely totally on a God's influence and to focus on everything ending up ok when you die and are reborn into "Heaven". All you are really doing is creating a negative living experience for yourself and for those around you because you and they are continually reminded of how terrible life is but how much better everything will be when you die.

Well, in my view, life is for living, not dying and the longer I get to enjoy this world the better. While I am here I will be industrious, take great care of the natural world, appreciate the sun, the view I have of our galaxy and live my life to the full with my family and friends. Every second is time wasted so I live each moment as it comes to the fullest it can be in the circumstances I find myself in.

My life has nothing to do with any God, they are concerned with my spirit and when it is necessary this relationship will become more apparent and more important but for the time being I am a physical reality in a physical world who wants to live for a long time before I ever see any afterlife, if such a thing exists at all.
Old 13-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Master
Very good Neqodin,
Life is for living, and living it well, with respect for all and everything.....and when we die...then we will know for sure what happens wont we?......Peace xx
Old 16-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Suspended
Neqodin, I like your philosophy

I'm big on the 'life is for living' outlook too. Seems pointles to focus on the distant future - the idea of Heaven - when you could be in the moment. It's like walking through a field of gorgeous flowers and smells but not seeing it cause you're too busy looking at the horizon. Might as well appreciate the horizon only when you're close enough to see it clearly.

You'll never drag it closer by force anyway, and I find the road to get there is a lovely one to walk.