Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 29-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Ascender
That's a good question blackraven.

I know others think Christianity is defined through the Bible, but I think it's defined by Christ's message. However, for me, anyone who follows Christ's message as given in his two commandments can call them self a Christian. I think it's as simple as that. Those two commandments are quite simple, beautiful, and powerful.

S-word, as zany as he was, did have a point when he said Constantine co-opted and corrupted Christ's message for his own purposes when the Bible was put together.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby
Yeah and me over 33 years ago. What saddens me is that so many have turned away from Jesus's teachings because of the churches interpretation of the N.T. I hope to see a time where people go back to their roots and embrace them...not as Christians but as true followers of Jesus.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I believe a Christian as describe in the Bible was one who followed the teachings of Jesus, the rules and requirements came later under Constantine's state religion.

Yes I agree nightowl.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I believe a Christian as describe in the Bible was one who followed the teachings of Jesus, the rules and requirements came later under Constantine's state religion.

nightowl - OK, I'm a Christian again.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:57 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
nightowl - OK, I'm a Christian again.

Blackraven

heheee
Old 29-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner

I know others think Christianity is defined through the Bible, but I think it's defined by Christ's message. However, for me, anyone who follows Christ's message as given in his two commandments can call them self a Christian. I think it's as simple as that. Those two commandments are quite simple, beautiful, and powerful.

S-word, as zany as he was, did have a point when he said Constantine co-opted and corrupted Christ's message for his own purposes when the Bible was put together.

Triner - Beautiful...Strong...Well put!

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Shabby

Quote:

So true and I wish Christians would see it that way too. I feel like Christians see me as outcast not worthy of carrying the title of a "Christian" which saddens me as I very much try to follow Jesus's teachings and love him for what he gave us through his message.
Old 29-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinie

Love without expectation of reward, good works, charity, freedom from judgement are all things that flow from the highest call of our heart and if that's the question you ask then many people who claim to be Christian are not just as many who claim to be of any other religion or follow a certain path are not. But it is not the foundation for the title of Christian.

Prinie - I especially like "love without expectation of reward." Very nice. Thank you for this.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 03:21 AM
TeeHee

Quote:

Sorry, none here participating in this thread have some "secrete knowledge" that Christians do not. Did Jesus really offer anything new in his two commandments? If Jesus did, and you received that from Him, that's just great. But as Jesus said:
Deuteronomy 6:5
And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.
Leviticus 19:18
'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.
Deuteronomy 10:19
"So show your love for the alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.
Matthew 22:37-39
And He [Jesus] said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
Old 29-01-2012, 03:21 AM
nimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
I just finished a book “Beyond Death’s Door” which was about clinical death and people’s experiences with what they believed was either heaven or hell before being resuscitated. I found it interesting that the medical author in the course of doing all his research for the book ended the book encouraging people to turn to Christianity and if they hadn’t already, to take the steps soon if not now. Of course he is apparently of the Christian persuasion and thus is biased. But really the book has little to do with my question that follows. It only drives it. I have pondered on the question…

What really makes a person a Christian?

Blackraven
By following the The teachings of Christ and living in it.