Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 10-01-2020, 01:24 AM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
If you went to Lily Dale, NY, to the largest Spiritual center in the World, or to the camp in Cassadaga, Florida or Camp Chesterfield, what do you think people will see and experience?

I don't know but so what? Being the largest spiritual center means precisely what? biggest is bestest? I know it's what is often found here in the US but my approach is size is trumped by quality.

Quote:
At the Spiritualist Churches today, many teach Eastern beliefs such as Chakras, Auras and Reincarnation and very little is devoted to teaching Spiritualist beliefs, especially the history of modern day Spiritualism.

You're not a Spiritualist anyway but what do the contents of the above paragraph tell you?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:47 AM
Master
Doctor Andrew Jackson Davis was a contemporary of the Fox sisters.

A book was written about him. Its title is:

DEATH AND AFTERLIFE

EIGHT EVENING LECTURES ON THE SUMMER-LAND
(1826-1910)

(1911)

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:34 PM
Master
Quote:
If you went to Lily Dale, NY, to the largest Spiritual center in the World, or to the camp in Cassadaga, Florida or Camp Chesterfield, what do you think people will see and experience?

in 1950, the National Spiritualist Association of Churches adopted the following:

"The Phenomena of Spiritualism consists of Prophecy, Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Gift of Tongues, Laying on of Hands, Healing, Visions, Trance, Apports, Levitation, Raps, Automatic and Independent Writings and Paintings, Voice, Materialization, Photography, Psychometry and any other manifestation proving the continuity of life as demonstrated through the Physical and Spiritual senses and faculties of man."

As far as I am concerned, this would also include such things as trumpets and table tipping.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:57 PM
leadville

Quote:
in 1950, the National Spiritualist Association of Churches adopted the following:

"The Phenomena of Spiritualism consists of Prophecy, Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Gift of Tongues, Laying on of Hands, Healing, Visions, Trance, Apports, Levitation, Raps, Automatic and Independent Writings and Paintings, Voice, Materialization, Photography, Psychometry and any other manifestation proving the continuity of life as demonstrated through the Physical and Spiritual senses and faculties of man."

As far as I am concerned, this would also include such things as trumpets and table tipping.

The NSAC can declare whatever that body wishes but that doesn't link to a point I've repeatedly made. As a non-Spiritualist you appear more interested in phenomena than you are in the simple message of survival that interest from you is what I'm seeing repeatedly in your writing.

The final section of the final sentence above nails the message of Spiritualism, viz: "......any other manifestation proving the continuity of life as demonstrated through the Physical and Spiritual senses and faculties of man." That is the raison d'etre for Spiritualism and what its philosophy and practice delivers.

When phenomena are for the sake of witnessing/experiencing phenomena then it's phenomenalism and not Spiritualism.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:15 AM
leadville

spiritualism cf. Spiritualism

What's the difference? Well no difference in the spelling save for the use of the upper-case letter S at the beginning of one but not the other. Does that make a difference?

Well yes it does when one is the catch-all word for 'anything to do with being spiritual' or 'having an interest in matters of the spirit, psychic phenomena, fortune telling' etc. but the other relates to the specific religion, movement and philosophy of Spiritualism.

That explains why I personally use that word spelled with a capital 'S'. Sadly both ways of writing it are routinely used by others either carelessly or deliberately, the latter sometimes because some don't/won't acknowledge or accept there is a difference.

When it's that latter reason, where it's deliberate, it may be intended to be vexatious.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
The NSAC can declare whatever that body wishes but that doesn't link to a point I've repeatedly made. As a non-Spiritualist you appear more interested in phenomena than you are in the simple message of survival that interest from you is what I'm seeing repeatedly in your writing.

The final section of the final sentence above nails the message of Spiritualism, viz: "......any other manifestation proving the continuity of life as demonstrated through the Physical and Spiritual senses and faculties of man." That is the raison d'etre for Spiritualism and what its philosophy and practice delivers.

When phenomena are for the sake of witnessing/experiencing phenomena then it's phenomenalism and not Spiritualism.
I am not sure what you are reading into what I write.

D. D. Homes I mentioned.
Fox sisters I have mentioned.
Andrew Jackson Davis I have mentioned.
Davenport Brothers I have mentioned.

These people were all mediums. The one I found the most interesting was Doctor Andrew Jackson Davis.

I have also written about diverse Spiritualists such as Doctor Alfred Wallace who came with a scientific background.

As a side note, almost every one of your comments to me is a personal 'jab'. Questioning what a person writes is one thing, but questioning the person personally is another thing. I ask you to stop the latter.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:31 AM
leadville

Quote:

An Australian Spiritualist friend of mine - when running workshops in his church/center workshops - regards most of those phenomena similarly but uses table-tipping as an entertainment but also as a teaching tool for his students. Also as an important example of why that particular phenomenon may just be a psychic one unless it links to the message of survival and transdimensional communication by discarnates. In other words when spirits are communicating with us humans.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:59 AM
leadville

Quote:
I am not sure what you are reading into what I write.

D. D. Homes I mentioned.
Fox sisters I have mentioned.
Andrew Jackson Davis I have mentioned.
Davenport Brothers I have mentioned.

These people were all mediums. The one I found the most interesting was Doctor Andrew Jackson Davis.

I have also written about diverse Spiritualists such as Doctor Alfred Wallace who came with a scientific background.

As a side note, almost every one of your comments to me is a personal 'jab'. Questioning what a person writes is one thing, but questioning the person personally is another thing. I ask you to stop the latter.

I have not (quote) "read anything" into what you have written that wasn't there to start with.

I try to read carefully and respond to what you 'say' in your postings, often breaking them into sections so there's no mistaking what particular point I'm responding to.

Have I disputed the veracity of the material you are using? Of course I have not! Have I questioned your honesty or integrity? No I have not and I am not questioning them now.

What I write is not a 'jab' at you as you call it but a simple statement of what I have seen in what you have written. I have questioned NOTHING you have written and have never questioned it's accuracy or veracity.

Asking questions of someone is not transgressing any rules. I am not being disrespectful if I question what you write. You are naturally very welcome to question me about anything I write, any approach to this subject of Spiritualism and communication that I adopt, at any time you wish.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
I have not (quote) Asking questions of someone is not transgressing any rules. I am not being disrespectful if I question what you write. You are naturally very welcome to question me about anything I write, any approach to this subject of Spiritualism and communication that I adopt, at any time you wish.
When you ask me the same question, I look at it as 'jabbing' Besides, you do not do that to others.

Let's forget and move on.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:53 AM
leadville

Quote:
When you ask me the same question, I look at it as 'jabbing' Besides, you do not do that to others.

Let's forget and move on.

forgotten already