Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
For me these words just don't run off the tongue. The way the lines end feels to me like hitting a brick wall. That is the beauty of adding 'all'. It is a soft ending, drawing us towards the future and implies that a lot of work needs to be done, and because of that there is no quick achievement. This allows us to relax into the vow, it allows us to fail and then recommit to them.

Have you read the Diamond Sutra, markings?

Best wishes,

BT
Old 26-01-2018, 04:31 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash112
In my efforts/experiments to introduce people to enlightenment, I've mostly been using concept of the witness as a tool. I was surprised to find that very few people see the value of it at first glance. From a Buddhist point of view am I doing more harm than good? I'm pointing out something that people should discover by their own volition?

I don't personally think that Buddhism has a view on this. Just go with your heart, slash112 That said, I also think that Buddhism generally has a tendency to encourage people to self-realization first. This way, one's actions are better guided in the spirit of Buddhist truths and clarity.

Personally, I don't try to teach anyone anything, if they ask I answer. I think that spirituality is like geology - it probably only speaks to you if you have that spark already inside, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
So, in Buddhism, there's no direct pointing going on like in Vedanta? I love the directness of Vedanta, but feel I have a lot to learn from Buddhism. Not everyone responds well to that direct pointing.

There is. Zen and Dzogchen are probably considered more of the "direct pointing" schools. I clarify my earlier comment in saying that answers are not generally the "answer" in these traditions i.e. even if we share a "truth" in practice, unless a person knows for themself, it only serves as encouragement i.e. it's only true when it's also true for the next candle/person. To my view, in Buddhism, everything is about self-realization of the truths the Buddhas/Buddhist Masters speak about. Until then, even the truest words fall short. This is my opinion only of course, and nothing more.

Quote:
Makes sense, I love it. I often rest in the absence of the notion of me-and-other. I mostly hold the notion of other for communication purposes.

But yeah I agree that self-cultivation comes first. I had to learn that the hard way. I've still got a ways to go.

Awesome @ Diamond Sutra, btw!

Love

BT
Old 26-01-2018, 04:35 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I am struggling to reconcile the bodhisattva vows with life to be honest.
On the one had the intentions is something to strife for.
That said strife has it's downsides.

When Buddha talks about his time as a boddhisattva he usually talks about events in his life before he was the tathagata.

I get the sense that the fairytales from the jakhartha tales may tell what the lives before the Buddha experienced on their path to Buddhahood. However they (i.m.h.o) aren't about his previous lives.

So the many many mahakulpa's it takes from taking the vows to become a self-liberated Buddha talk about something outside space and time?
When it's found you are liberated from samsara. I don't see how after reaching Nibanna there could be anything left to either save them all or wait/pospone the dissolution of self until every sentient being is likewise liberated.

So until then I feel it will most likely give rise to some unwholesome states..

WIth Love
Eelco

Depends on the conception of Nibbana, I guess. Not saying it depends on peoples' interpretations of which there are many, I am saying it is probably related though to how one imagines it.

That said, I think that emphasis on Bodhisattva-hood and vows is more particular to Mahayana Buddhism and if it doesn't resonate, it can be laid aside for now.

In my opinion, each tradition/school teaches a full, but very particular, context. It is often effective and makes sense within that tradition, but to mix and match is probably not so useful or necessary.

My 2c

BT
Old 26-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
That's kind of amusing jonesboy, did you write it?

BT

'The tan tian can be the focus anytime and should be throughout the day “place the heart/mind in the tan tian,” breathe deeply into the deepest regions of your belly and feel the energy gather there till it overflows '

Can you imagine placing your heart and mind into the chat in your belly
Old 28-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Knower
BT, I read your answers and forgot to reply. Thank you for that, it really does clear up a lot.
Old 29-01-2018, 05:13 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
BT, I read your answers and forgot to reply. Thank you for that, it really does clear up a lot.

No problem at all, slash112 - I hope it will help - be well.

BT
Old 20-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Knower

I like this option:

Ho souls of living beings that rise and fall in the ocean of the cycle of being
Attracted by all sorts of illusions like a reflection on the surface of the lake ..
May they all be in the world of unlimited freedom of absolute happiness in the Mahayana world.
Turning the soul into the four great states of consciousness
I take the vow of the Great Chariot!
Old 21-02-2018, 03:46 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitiananda
I like this option:

Ho souls of living beings that rise and fall in the ocean of the cycle of being
Attracted by all sorts of illusions like a reflection on the surface of the lake ..
May they all be in the world of unlimited freedom of absolute happiness in the Mahayana world.
Turning the soul into the four great states of consciousness
I take the vow of the Great Chariot!
Very nice.
Old 21-02-2018, 04:36 AM
Knower
That is very nice. Thank you Nitiananda!