Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 08-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Experiencer

I'm a member of a forum who discusses missing person cases and true crime. Many missing person cases turn out to be a suicide and more often than not the family is absolutely stunned (and of course devastated at the loss) as they would have never expected this and didn't see it coming. So yes, I'm convinced that people who plan on taking their life are not only very good at keeping this to themselves, they are also often happy and relaxed just before they do it. Probably because they know they will soon be out of the situation they suffer so greatly from, whatever it is.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Master
No one really knows why another person may commit suicide, but Anthony Bourdain went through a divorce a few months ago, and in a previous interview he stated that he contemplated suicide but his daughter talked him out of it and "gave him a reason to live." A person will take their life not only because they feel they are suffering, but there are also people who take their life because of sudden success; not saying this was what Anthony Bourdain did, he had success for a long time and seemingly handled it well. But public figures usually appear a different way in public than they may feel in private.

P.S. I found it interesting how the actor Val Kilmer posted that he was angry at Anthony Bourdain for taking his life, because he said he loved Anthony Bourdain, and a lot of people on social media jumped on Val Kilmer for being angry at Anthony Bourdain. Anger is one of the stages of grieving loss and I don't think those people understood that.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Master

Interesting Starman. Thanks for the in depth info. Seems he couldn't have been to upset with his divorce (other than financially) if he had a girlfriend.

It seems at 61 he had many opportunities in his younger years, having gone through hard times, to have 'ended it all.' By his age he had surely learned that life has it's ebbs and flows.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Interesting Starman. Thanks for the in depth info. Seems he couldn't have been to upset with his divorce (other than financially) if he had a girlfriend.

It seems at 61 he had many opportunities in his younger years, having gone through hard times, to have 'ended it all.' By his age he had surely learned that life has it's ebbs and flows.
Okay, so I am spectulating here, which is probably not a good thing to do about a person's suicide, but he was married for 10-years, and then divorced. That has got to have some impact. His girlfriend may have just been a rebound type relationship and may not have served as a subsitute for his divorce. Again, I am just spectulating, because no one but him knows why he committed suicide.

Speaking only for myself, at age-71, life lessons sometimes take more than a life-time to learn. There are people in their seventies who still have not come to terms with painful issues that happened to them when they were a child. At age-19 I was a U.S. Army soldier in Vietnam during that war, and I felt like commitng suicide. There are things that happened in my life when I was nine-teen which I have yet to come to terms with now at age-71.

An even though I have been suicidal in the past, I have now made a commitment to myself to see this Earthly journey though to a death not intentionally by my own hand. I have suffered alot in this life, lost my eyesight during the Vietnam War and was totally blind for about 5-years, lost alot of friends and relatives, and my wife to breast cancer.

Life for me has been a continual journey of adjusting my attitude and outlook on my existence. I don't think there is any good or bad, or right and wrong in this. Me having seen hundreds of people die, I have come to the conclusion that we all die when it is time for us to die and not before. When we die, in my opinion, is predetermined, and the only question is the method of our death.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Master

I did commit suicide in my last life and I'm here to tell ya I was harder on myself for having done so then anyone else could have been (and no one judged me for my decision to end my life).

The main reason is to get to an age of consent to know what one is doing to make the decision to commit suicide. All those years growing up, lost. All those years in preparation of learning what lessons I came here to learn to end it by suicide. That only means I have to start all over again. That's the frustrating part and why I was hard on myself.

To invest and then rip the bag open and let all contents pour out onto the dirt.

There are reasons for committing suicide. Some are done out of immaturity and some are for good reason.

For all we know Anthony might have been diagnosed with a fatal disease. Or he might have just been 'done'.

He was a maverick and and free thinker.

In the case of this lifetime, (before I was born and planning out my lifetime) I piled on a bunch of bad stuff in my early childhood. At one point I was set to commit suicide by jumping out a second story window when I was about 5 years old. My guide was there and we talked at length about it. I was told if I did (jump) it would be okay. But he asked me to listen to him as he described what my life would be like if I continued with this incarnation.

As you can tell, I decided to continue with this lifetime and I am so very grateful that I did. Because I came, I experienced, I learned, I healed and I made it through what I came here to learn. If not for those bad experiences in my life I would not be the person I am today.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:24 AM
Seeker
I think that suicide is definitely harder on the loved ones that are left behind, but what the suicidal person doesn't take into account (how could they) is the bereavement, anger, confusion, and otherwise chaos that this traumatic event puts on the shoulders of their community.

I personally think, and I know that this isn't a controversial statement, that there needs to be an emphasis put on life and living to such a degree that death should only be the option when it occurs naturally.

No matter what you're going through, the fact that your heart is beating and you're breathing air into your lungs should be reason enough to leave well enough alone; as the saying goes.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Master
linen53, it is wonderful to be conscious of our choices, and in my opinion we always have choices, but sometimes we are not aware of all of our options or do not like the options we are aware of. I liked what you said about dumping your life out and having to go through the coming of age once again.

I have talked with military veterans who were prisoners of war and many of them told me that while their physical body was chained to a wall and they were held in a very small cage, their mind was free in spite of this. I think of Victor Frankl, who was a psychiatrist and a Jew who was held in a Nazi concentration camp during WWII. He is the founder of western existential theory, and wrote a lot about "man's search for meaning" while he was held in that Nazi camp. Or Anne Frank, who many of us are familar with.

Can suicide ever be the best option? There are many who think that it is. I do not judge them but I will say that I want my death, my transition, to be smooth and seamless. Unlike what you mentioned about a personal past life experience of suicide. Although, I think having our life suddenly taken by another person (homicide) can be just as impactful to our consciousness as us taking our own life (suicide).
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Having air in your lungs and breathing doesn't mean anything when you are in the pit of despair and can see no way out.
please don't judge people for their actions until you walk in their shoes.
I have seen enough people who suffer the affects of someone taking their own life.and how it affects them.as my role as a counsellor.
but I to have bought people through who did commit suicide .the guilt they feel for those left behind.but they could see no way out.
as I am also a medium.

Namaste
Old 11-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Master

Starman, I've read accounts of WWII prisoners who were able to free their minds as well.

We all handle difficult times differently. Some POW's found a way to escape through their minds.

Like you, I cannot judge another person because they don't do as I would do or as I believe.

Having the memory of suicide in a past life, I will make it to the end in this one and die as I was intended.

I agree Enlightened. It's harder on the extended family if they were not aware of any distress, I would think because they had no closure and the guilt of wondering what they missed. And if they have not prepared themselves for their own eminent deaths by doing some reading and research. There is a very lot of information out there on what comes after death.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
And so another member here brought to my attention that Anthony Bourdain has commit suicide. He just didn't appear to be 'depressed' or 'suicidal' which adds more credence to Greenslade's thoughts.

I didn't comment on your comments Greenslade but agreed with what you said wholeheartedly.
Thank you

The most important issue with suicide isn't with the fact that it happens but with people's attitudes towards it, even in a Spiritual forum where we're supposed to be 'making the darkness light' suicide is a very scary place, and a place that harbours all kinds of stigma and judgement.

Suicidal people are often the last to appear suicidal or depressed, often if someone is expressing suicidal thoughts then it's a cry for help and not an intention. People who are committed to an act of suicide often don't want any visible outward signs, and I'll use the word 'committed' because some people do become committed to carrying out the act. People who say they're suicidal are generally looking for a way out, that's why they're expressing it while people who are committed to carrying out the act don't want to be talked out of it.

Not only have I attempted it I've spoken to a few people who have done the same, and often there's an expression of it being the 'right thing to do'. Not despair, not escaping and not cowardice - just the right thing to do.

Perhaps suicide is the ultimate act of Free Will, perhaps it's the most liberated thing anyone can do because sometimes they've gone a long way past any fear of consequences.