Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 14-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Wolf Heart

I am terrified of death.

I am so afraid of death that when I think about it my mind throws itself into flurries, my stomach knots, and I break down into a panic attack.

I've had this fear since I was 13, I am now 23. It haunts me no matter how much I try to ignore and escape it.

I am terrified of the idea of "forever" and I'm also afraid that when I die I won't exist at all. I'm afraid of never seeing my children or my husband again.

So many unknowns, it terrifies me and I don't know what to do to become at peace with the idea of dying.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Knower
I am terrified of death as well, sometimes I will be sleeping and all of a sudden I would jump out of my bed panicking about death but I just tell myself there is nothing I can do to stop it and know that although my body will be gone, my spirit will live on. Not really sure what the afterlife is like but I say to myself I can see my loved ones again once I am gone and go into a nice place to rest for eternity. Everyone exists when they go and everyone who has gone will be able to see there loved ones in the spirit world and living, from my experience this is how I see it and this is what I tell myself :)

Last edited by Spitfire10 : 15-02-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 15-02-2012, 05:07 AM
CatChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Heart
I am so afraid of death that when I think about it my mind throws itself into flurries, my stomach knots, and I break down into a panic attack.

I've had this fear since I was 13, I am now 23. It haunts me no matter how much I try to ignore and escape it.

I am terrified of the idea of "forever" and I'm also afraid that when I die I won't exist at all. I'm afraid of never seeing my children or my husband again.

So many unknowns, it terrifies me and I don't know what to do to become at peace with the idea of dying.

One of the sciences behind our existence is the electricity of our life force. We are electrical among other things, and that is a fact. When you think of what happens to electricity when you turn off a light switch, you're reminded that it doesn't just disappear. Rather it takes on another form be it that of even it's sheer potential to return again to bring light to a room. It changes into another direction of electrical energy. It is simple. You will not just go away. You can't- it doesn't make any logical sense to me. I hope you can find some comfort in that, I know I did when I was younger and thinking about what my mortality would be like.
Old 15-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Master
if you want to abide always and always, you have not lived the moment. One who has lived his life truly, authentically, one who has enjoyed it, is always ready to die, is always ready to leave. One who has not enjoyed and celebrated, one who has not lived the moment, the life, is always afraid to leave because “the time has come to leave and I am yet unfulfilled.” The fear of death is not the fear of death, it is a fear of remaining unfulfilled. You are going to die, and nothing, nothing at all could you experience through life — no maturity, no growth, no flowering. Emptyhanded you came, emptyhanded you are going. This is the fear!

The search for the permanent shows that you remain unfulfilled. The search to have a permanent self is a clinging. You know that death is going to be there, so what to do? The body will disintegrate, disappear; now you have your hopes that some permanent self must be there which will go on and on and on. Remember: those who are afraid, they always believe in the eternal soul.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Master
Wolfheart,the trouble with fears is that they are irrational which means no amount of factual/rational information is going to make them go away... so embrace the irrational!!!

Life doesn't make much sense, trying to make it do that is kinda pointless, so all that stuff like letting go, going with the flow, letting expectations drift away is all sort of about embracing that irrationality... the senselessness of existence... and just letting the senses take a bit of the lead. It does get you somewhere worth going too.

But to getting to a higher rationality you have to go through irrationality...

See if you can find an old movie called 'Harold and Maude'... that'll help!
Old 15-02-2012, 06:55 AM
sesheta

To WolfHeart

Do you have any firm beliefs in an "afterlife"? I think maybe the fear is worse if you don't really know what you believe, or if you can believe in anything.
As for myself, I firmly believe in reincarnation, so I am quite sure I'll be back again...and again...and again....that allows me to be much calmer about the thought of 'dying', because I know that I'll see everyone I love the next time around.
Maybe your fear will be lessened when you discover what you truly believe.
Just my two cents worth...hope it helps!
Old 23-02-2012, 01:09 AM
MorningMist

I agree wholehearted with Mr Interesting (again...and he really is!)

My fearless mother instilled in me from infancy the idea that death is the next great adventure in life...while I don't fear death per se, the way in which it might occur sometimes gives me pause for concern.

Hugs
MorningMist
Old 15-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
if you want to abide always and always, you have not lived the moment. One who has lived his life truly, authentically, one who has enjoyed it, is always ready to die, is always ready to leave. One who has not enjoyed and celebrated, one who has not lived the moment, the life, is always afraid to leave because β€œthe time has come to leave and I am yet unfulfilled.” The fear of death is not the fear of death, it is a fear of remaining unfulfilled. You are going to die, and nothing, nothing at all could you experience through life β€” no maturity, no growth, no flowering. Emptyhanded you came, emptyhanded you are going. This is the fear!

The search for the permanent shows that you remain unfulfilled. The search to have a permanent self is a clinging. You know that death is going to be there, so what to do? The body will disintegrate, disappear; now you have your hopes that some permanent self must be there which will go on and on and on. Remember: those who are afraid, they always believe in the eternal soul.

You are way too wise for this plane ; )
Old 15-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Shabby

No one will ever experience death. In order to experience death...one has to be present....if there is life beyond this physical experience which we call life...then you will not experience death but the soul continuing it's journey. If there is no life beyond this experience of life on earth then you will not be present and you will not experience death either.

Everything that has a beginning has an end and an end only means the start of something new. As I see it true life has no beginning nor end as true life itself is life and life has no part in decay or death.
Old 16-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby
No one will ever experience death. In order to experience death...one has to be present....if there is life beyond this physical experience which we call life...then you will not experience death but the soul continuing it's journey. If there is no life beyond this experience of life on earth then you will not be present and you will not experience death either.
Nicely put.

Good post Celeste too.

I welcome death but I don't think I'm going to be let off planet Earth that easily.