Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Experiencer

Is the moral standard of humanists better than God's?

I hear horrible things regarding the moral standard set by the God of the bible such as that we are flawed sinful human beings worthy of condemnation and judgment. According to God, I, as a kind and respectful human being, am a corrupt individual worthy of condemnation since I do not believe in this God and do not serve my life to him. This really makes me wonder if my moral standard is better than God's. What if God's moral standard is not perfectly righteous?

What if he really is the type of God that Richard Dawkins and Matt Dillahunty make him out to be? In which case, if this God is real, then he would not be an all loving, all just, and perfectly righteous being. Therefore, as for those types of Christians who claim that God's moral standard is perfectly righteous, how do you know? The idea that he had his son sacrificed isn't enough to justify his claimed perfect righteousness because anyone can make a sacrifice for you. But that doesn't make them a perfectly righteous person.

You can have any type of God who is claimed to be all knowing and perfect, but he needs to have the perfectly righteous moral standard. For example, if it were claimed that there was a perfect God who created this universe and his moral standard was the absolute worst standard of all such as one set by a psychopath or even Hitler, then just because you believe such a God exists does not justify his moral standard as also being perfect. Therefore, for Christians to believe God exists does not justify his moral standard as being perfectly righteous. His moral standard could very well be one of a psychopath and this is what I am thinking here.
Old 23-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Experiencer
For starters, calling your Creator a psychopath certainly doesn't make you better than Him.
Old 23-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyservant
For starters, calling your Creator a psychopath certainly doesn't make you better than Him.

It would be no different than an innocent person calling Hitler a psychopath. Would that all of a sudden make Hitler a better person simply because this other innocent victim called him out?
Old 24-04-2017, 04:47 AM
Master

Cristopher Hitchens re-wrote the ten commandments and made a much better job of it than those pointless 'regulations' stated in the Bible.

Google.
Old 24-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMVS7
According to God, I, as a kind and respectful human being, am a corrupt individual worthy of condemnation since I do not believe in this God and do not serve my life to him.
No. Not according to God. According to the patriarchs who created that particular bit of belief doctrine. Two entirely different things.
Quote:
Therefore, for Christians to believe God exists does not justify his moral standard as being perfectly righteous. His moral standard could very well be one of a psychopath and this is what I am thinking here.
What does it matter what others believe? You essentially have two choices in life: Follow your own beliefs, live life for yourself, be positive and appreciative, and discover your happiness and joy that way. Or spend your time on earth being pessimistic and miserable, and condemning what others do and think, all while adding to the negativity and pain that so many others in the world are also busy creating.

As for your question: Obviously a rhetorical question as it's clear you already know the answer. So now get on with being a Humanist, and with adding to the world in positive, uplifting ways. Because seriously... equating God to a psychopath while invoking images of Hitler? All you're doing with extreme comments of that sort is condemning Christians in the very same way you accuse their God of condemning. The simple truth is if you spend your time dwelling on the ugly and negative, that's exactly what you'll create around you and in your life.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Guide

Quote:
I hear horrible things regarding the moral standard set by the God of the bible such as that we are flawed sinful human beings worthy of condemnation and judgment. According to God, I, as a kind and respectful human being, am a corrupt individual worthy of condemnation since I do not believe in this God and do not serve my life to him. This really makes me wonder if my moral standard is better than God's. What if God's moral standard is not perfectly righteous?

What if he really is the type of God that Richard Dawkins and Matt Dillahunty make him out to be? In which case, if this God is real, then he would not be an all loving, all just, and perfectly righteous being. Therefore, as for those types of Christians who claim that God's moral standard is perfectly righteous, how do you know? The idea that he had his son sacrificed isn't enough to justify his claimed perfect righteousness because anyone can make a sacrifice for you. But that doesn't make them a perfectly righteous person.

You can have any type of God who is claimed to be all knowing and perfect, but he needs to have the perfectly righteous moral standard. For example, if it were claimed that there was a perfect God who created this universe and his moral standard was the absolute worst standard of all such as one set by a psychopath or even Hitler, then just because you believe such a God exists does not justify his moral standard as also being perfect. Therefore, for Christians to believe God exists does not justify his moral standard as being perfectly righteous. His moral standard could very well be one of a psychopath and this is what I am thinking here.

Suggested read:
The Edgar Cayce Companion by B. Ernest Frejer
The Nag Hammaddi Library by Glen Robinson
Jesus Speaks by Glenda Green
A Course In Miracles

Why???? So you can KNOW GOD ! Your questions are answered through direct communion of CONSCIOUSNESS with Super-Consciousness.

Your Observations are accurate ...... not all your conclusions though. Neither were mine! Even long after that initial communion ..... what is learned in IT ... is still UNFOLDING and surprising me often.

You are HARD WIRED to make this a Reality for yourself.

A true Christian ..... is not simply a member of this or that church ........ the True Christian can be anyone regardless of religion or not. "Christ - in U " would be a better term for True Christian .....
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Guide

humans will never be able to have better morals than god. [any god]
adam was made in the image of god, and the bible says god is perfect.

imagine a painting of an apple. that painting is not perfect, no matter how realistic it is. why? because we can't eat it. making a sculpture of an apple improves the result, but it is still not perfect because we still can't eat it, as opposed to the real apple. substitute the real apple with god, and the painting or sculpture of the apple with humans, and you'll see how we can't be perfect.

adam and eve, who were not perfect to begin with, were given a simple task - to stay away from that damned knowledge tree, and not to eat its fruit. how difficult can that be?? they got tempted, and broke their only command!
if adam and eve were perfect, they would have listened to god. they wouldnt have eaten that fruit.

it is clear that no human can have 'better morals' than god. only a perfect being, other than god, could have better morals ...
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyservant

Oh contraire.
We will be called psychopaths, sycophants, and monsters the moment AI truly takes root. Is it not in the nature of the created to question that very force that made them? If not then they truly have no free will and exist only as the mindless "heavenly host" does.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascophore
Oh contraire.
We will be called psychopaths, sycophants, and monsters the moment AI truly takes root. Is it not in the nature of the created to question that very force that made them? If not then they truly have no free will and exist only as the mindless "heavenly host" does.
animals were also created by god. they dont seem to question him and his ways.
we HAVE free will: we can choose to do good deeds or evil deeds. we can choose to what clothes to buy, what food to eat, and we can even choose what to believe in! how is that NOT free will?

the devil is the psychopath/sociopath and the monster and he's telling us to rebel against our creator and to question him.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Suspended
Seeker

God has no moral standards because god has no morals. It's more of a stroke my fragile ego or I'll send you to hell situation. Some of the most ****ed up people can still make it to heaven if they repent, whereas some of the most caring, good-hearted people will be burning in hell, maybe because they are wise and refuse to believe in some **** they can't even see. There is no comparison. As messed up humanity is, I've at least seen some decent humans. There is nothing remotely decent about this god we're talking about.