Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 28-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Master

How to Find a Job--Seriously

Almost all available job opening are not advertised in the newspaper or unemployment offices. Why? Because the people looking for new employees do not want to deal with the "less-than-qualified" type applicants that will swarm their offices.

Here is my suggestion. First, update your resume.

Collect a pen and a notebook and your favorite beverage and set them next to your telephone. You will need your local telephone book as well.

Take a sip of your favorite beverage. Take a deep breath and open the telephone book to where the businesses are listed.

I always start at the "A's" and work my way down. I do not discriminate at what the business does. Write the name of the business down in your notebook and the date.

Take another sip of your beverage and call the number.

A receptionist, more than likely, will answer the phone. Get her name and write it down on your notebook. Ask to speak to the person who does the hiring. When the receptionist transfers you write down the name of the person who does the hiring in your notebook. When asked why you are calling, say: hello, my name is __________. I was wondering if you have any employment opportunities in your company. If they have an opening they will more than likely ask what type of job you are looking for. Have your answer written down in front of you. Talk with confidence and clearly as you tell them what your skills are.

One of two things will happen. Whatever happens write the results in your notebook.

1. They are interested in you and want you to come by or at least drop off a resume. When you show up, dress appropriately, not jeans and a halter top. Always be courteous to the receptionist. Her boss may likely ask her advice of you. It happened to me countless times.

2. The hiring person will tell you they don't have any openings. If that is the case, ask if he knows of anyone in need of your skills. If he says, no, thank him for his time and hang up. If he does have some information, write it down in your notebook.

This is important, ask if you can say he or she recommended you. Sometimes they will say yes, sometimes they will say no. If he gives you a lead, write it down in your notebook, hopefully, name of company, phone number and contact person.

Call the company he recommended. If he said you couldn't use him as a recommendation treat it as a cold call. If you don't have the contact person's name ask the (second) receptionist to speak to the person who does the hiring, if you do have the second person's name use it to streamline through the receptionist. The less she knows at this stage the better.

Say something like this to the second company, Hello, my name is ________. May I speak to the person who does the hiring (or may I speak to ________). When that person comes onto the line tell them your name and that you just talked to____________ at such and such a company and they said you might have an opening. Bla, bla, bla.

Remember write every contact person names down in your notebook as well as important information you might have to pull up later under their company heading.

If this is a hot lead, offer to go in and drop off a resume and/or set up an interview date.

I've even had some people say to me, "Can you come right now?" I'd have to scramble around throwing on interview clothes, etc to make my appointment.

At the end of an interview write down all important information in your notebook you may need later.At the end of an interview, while it is fresh in your mind (I do mine as soon as I get back to my car), write down all important information in your notebook you may need later.

This is another important point. After you do complete an interview, send them a short thank you letter thanking them for their time and recapping how well you would enjoy working there. Short and sweet. It was the deciding factor on one job I found out after I had been hired.

Always wear appropriate clothes. I can't stress that enough. No shorts, summer clothes. Always present yourself in professional clothes, even to drop off a resume. They notice.

Okay, now go to the next company in the telephone book and start all over. Don't stop at just one if you get leads. Fill up that notebook! After about 3 days of this routine, I was averaging about 2 contacts with companies who had employment openings per day. This system will get you employed.

Good luck!
Old 28-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Deactivated Account

Great information Lin!

I am going back into the workforce soon,and I'll def take this advice into consideration.I admit,it gets depressing looking into the typical job searching engines.Also,a lot of companies hire by connection or the "who you know",which is how I had my last job,but this is advice is def feasible because thats how my husband found his job,going directly to the company.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Master

I used to work in a Personnel department of a large company hiring people and this method will work. Get off the treadmill, get on the phone.