Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 13-05-2014, 03:08 AM
ArtistElect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
I am attracted to Spiritualism (have been for some time), but I have reservations due to its history of fraud, especially in its beginnings of table rappings and "spirit photography" (ie double exposures and old fashioned camera tricks). How prevalent is fraud in modern Spiritualism? Are there measures in place to prevent it?

When spirit costs money, it's fake. That's why I write for free, practice for free and only give to those who contact me with just intentions. As a result, I haven't helped anyone (except a few child athletes) due to my lack of "popular approval." Spirit never gets popular approval. Just ask Jesus Christ. Or Mohammed. Or Moses. Or MLK. Or JFK.

Everyone who asks for money is a fraud; everyone who has no shelter is authentic.

I'm authentic.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Ecthalion

I would advise anybody NOT to pay money EVER to see a medium.
There are people out there who prey on others' misery for their own profit.
Here is a quote from an American publication, "Pages from a medium's notebook"
Quote:
To commercialize [sic] spiritualism, you must carry your cause to the people. The most profitable channel is the churches and the meetings. There you come in contact with a hand-picked, receptive audience - aghast and waiting your word... That's just a part of the spook racket."

Last edited by Ecthalion : 13-05-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Master

I don't know - it depends on the cost a little but there is an exchange of energy and also the medium can't live on air. I charge minimal rate for any readings / healings I do. I have seen people who work for minimal rate and also seen people who work for ££££. The former are usually richer in detail and meaning.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Experiencer
I believe money as such is not tainted. Its the love of money that is. There is a very thin grey line between needing it to survive and making it one's master.

And yes, mediums and other people on the spiritual path do need to eat. I have encountered plenty of people who, due to the fates of life, simply have no other option than to ask for a small donation for their services.

Edited to add that I fully agree with what Belle said. This is also my experience. The genuine one's do not generally ask for much yet my experiences with what they do has been very positive.

Where it gets icky is when a person is overcome with love for money and begins to charge exorbitant amounts and starts to live the big life.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Ecthalion

I'm sorry Belle but, for me, all the charlatans have given your "trade" (not the right word, but I can't think of the correct one) a bad name.
The majority of mediums, I am sure, mean well and would not dream of conning anyone, but the few who do, and who grow rich from the profits, make me over cautious.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Master

Don't apologise for your experience Ecthalion. You need to be cautious in such a world. Just don't close the door for the future when you come across someone that you think might have a nugget for you in exchange for a very small sum of money - as that is his / her bread and butter. It may never happen but it would be a shame to miss out on opportunities in the future.

I'm cautious me with them having given away £££££ to spurious people in the past.
Old 13-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Mazulu

An average medium or psychic is worth about $20/hour. A really good medium should ask for more. It's really about supply and demand. Psychics and mediums have to pay their bills in spite of the trite warnings from skeptics. Don't be so tight fisted with your money.

If a psychic or medium can make you feel better about the future, about your life and your circumstances, then by all standards of fairness, they should be paid.
Old 13-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazulu
A really good medium should ask for more. It's really about supply and demand.
What about fake mediums who use cold reading and other such spurious means to con people who are grieving and desperate?
How much are they worth Mazulu?
And before you say that all mediums are honest, might I quote again an American book written for mediums.

"To commercialize [sic] spiritualism, you must carry your cause to the people. The most profitable channel is the churches and the meetings. There you come in contact with a hand-picked, receptive audience - aghast and waiting your word... That's just a part of the spook racket."
Old 13-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Mazulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
What about fake mediums who use cold reading and other such spurious means to con people who are grieving and desperate?
How much are they worth Mazulu?
And before you say that all mediums are honest, might I quote again an American book written for mediums.

"To commercialize [sic] spiritualism, you must carry your cause to the people. The most profitable channel is the churches and the meetings. There you come in contact with a hand-picked, receptive audience - aghast and waiting your word... That's just a part of the spook racket."

The difference between skeptics, like yourself, and mediums is that skeptics don't give a darn about how people feel inside. That's why I think that skeptics are pretty useless. In other words, psychics and mediums add value to people's lives by giving them hope. Skeptics destroy value, skeptics destroy peace of mind, skeptics destroy happiness.

Skeptics have their own propaganda campaign going. It's called cynicism.
Old 13-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Master

Dip your big toe in first to test the waters. Never be in a hurry. Keep an open mind but also be a skeptic. Be careful where you put your trust. Don't be the first one in line. Observe before you act. Think about what you want before you move forward. Have your desires clearly defined.

Can you find your own answers or do you need the help of a medium or psychic? I know I can find most of my own answers myself, but the fear of the unknown often motivates me to seek another's assistance.