Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 07-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Master
Who do you think wrote the old and new Testaments?

Since there is so much talk about the New Age and Enlightenment going on and many people see spirituality from the perspective of 'being ones own God' then I want to ask you; who do you think wrote the old and new testaments?

These books don't mention enlightenment as such. They speak about God in a very different way to how He is portrayed in the East. Not only that the books are full of deep and philosophical wisdom and judgement - which is not observable in people today.

Where did the ideas in these books come from? Who are the people who created this 'vision' of the world?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Who... wrote the old and new Testaments?
Followers of the Christian religion. Just as followers of the Muslim religion wrote the Koran, and followers of the Hindu religion wrote the Bhagavad Gita.

People choose their beliefs and then write about what they believe; depict and communicate their beliefs through story-telling and other art forms. It's what human beings do naturally, and has nothing at all to do with "new-age and enlightenment." Unless we're talking all those new-age and enlightenment self-help books that people write, lol. Same thing applies with those books as well.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Since there is so much talk about the New Age and Enlightenment going on and many people see spirituality from the perspective of 'being ones own God' then I want to ask you; who do you think wrote the old and new testaments?

These books don't mention enlightenment as such. They speak about God in a very different way to how He is portrayed in the East. Not only that the books are full of deep and philosophical wisdom and judgement - which is not observable in people today.

Where did the ideas in these books come from? Who are the people who created this 'vision' of the world?

Ordinary people wrote the books based on their experiences.
The ideas will have come from the same place as ours come from, life, imagination, stories from others, myths, legends etc: all mingled together to make great stories . some true, some not so true.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Followers of the Christian religion....

Christians wrote the Hebrew scriptures, what non-Jews call the Old Testament??
Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
Christians wrote the Hebrew scriptures, what non-Jews call the Old Testament??
I'm not following you here. Why not just state your own opinion, that would be more helpful.

The followers of each religion's scriptures, wrote the book. That's what I was saying. Past that the particulars don't matter.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
I'm not following you here. Why not just state your own opinion, that would be more helpful.

The followers of each religion's scriptures, wrote the book. That's what I was saying. Past that the particulars don't matter.

Honza asked who wrote the Old and New Testaments.

You responded, "Followers of the Christian religion."

The Old Testament is how non-Jews, including followers of the Christian religion, refer to the Tanakh, the Hebrew bible, Jewish scripture. Christianity included the Hebrew bible as part of its sacred scripture, but Christians didn't write it.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
Honza asked who wrote the Old and New Testaments.

You responded, "Followers of the Christian religion."

The Old Testament is how non-Jews, including followers of the Christian religion, refer to the Tanakh, the Hebrew bible, Jewish scripture. Christianity included the Hebrew bible as part of its sacred scripture, but Christians didn't write it.
And as I suggested in my last post, whatever the point you wish to make would be much clearer if you simply state your own opinion and answer his question in your own way. Go ahead now.

The people (men) who followed the religious beliefs depicted in the Bible, wrote the Bible.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Master
Quote:
The followers of each religion's scriptures, wrote the book.

chicken and egg syndrome? without the books would there be the religion?

So how do you think Judaism, Islam and Christianity started? I thought they started based on the teachings in the books. But you see it the other way around - in the sense that the books came after the religion was founded.

What interests me is how these three religions started? what caused their beginning.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Master
imo: there is one, singular Source.
all things that are have come forth from Truth;
it is the only 'foundation' for anything.

it may well be that there is no "past" in which these people existed
to have written those books... our only evidence for a "past" exists
within our imaginations (as i understand my reality).
Old 08-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Master
Quote:
chicken and egg syndrome? without the books would there be the religion?
I'm unclear what you're suggesting here. People choose to believe what they will, with or without books. Beliefs are not dependent on being written down in order to be believed.
Quote:
What interests me is how these three religions started? what caused their beginning.
The answer depends on who and what you choose to believe. Science and skeptics think early humans heard thunder and saw lightning, and in response created stories of gods in the sky who banged drums and threw lightning spears. Religious followers have different beliefs about that. And esotericists and occultists have any number of other explanations that are different from that of religious followers.

Horace and his answer is probably as much as one needs to contemplate. It's all from the one source. Every religion, every philosophy, is identifying the same one source, just from their own unique belief-perspective.