Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 AM
Master
Balinese Hinduism

Om Swastiyastu

For the past few months or even years, I have been trying to recapture a much simpler and inspirational time in my life.

Nights have been spent on YouTube watching videos which "resonate" at my level, so I have decided to start a thread to share them all and each day, I will contribute something more to this thread. It gives me something to do at least.

The Gayatri Mantra is very huge in Bali, and their prayers/pujas always begin with it and end with "Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti Om". The prayers themselves are in Sanskrit, but the intonation and meter is totally different from the practices in India...each syllable is long and drawn out, much akin to the Tibetan Buddhist way of chanting, but then again, Balinese Hinduism also has direct influences from Buddhism and Animism as well...and that is why I personally subscribe to this branch/school of Hinduism which is called Agama Hindu Dharma.

It is said that Hinduism in Indonesia was founded by Rishi (Rsi) Markandeya....the same Markandeya who is a great Bhakta of Lord Shiva (known as Siwa in Bali), who rescued Markandeya from the jaws of death (Lord Yama Maharaja) and made him an immortal so he could spread the message of Hinduism throughout the world.

Today, I am going to share a few of my favourite videos...and I will do so each day, so that there is a library of them on here, for perusal by myself and others who may be interested, for their uplifting and energetic content.

The first, is the main prayer of the Balinese school of Hinduism. It is called Puja Trisandhya:

Puja Trisandhya
https://youtu.be/1L4pm8vUF4c

The next video I will share, I found yesterday. It is a popular reggae group from Bali called The Small Axe and the song is entitled "Om Nama Siwa". I just love the scenery in this clip:

Om Nama Siwa - The Small Axe
https://youtu.be/jDkBkst4iQs

The checkerboard cloth you see everybody wear is called saput poleng. It is a Tantric design of black/white, good/evil...in fact ALL manner of duality interwoven on one piece of cloth to represent the non-duality...the unity of all things existing in a single dimension of Consciousness.

Here is a more traditional song...it is called "Sanghyang Jagatnatha" by Rsi Ida Lokanatha. Although the Balinese worship the Trimurti (Brahma, Wisnu, Siwa), their name for Brahman or the Absolute is Ida Sanghyang Widhi Wasa which very losely translates as "One without a second" and is synonymous with Siwa in most cases.

Sanghyang Jagatnatha - Ida Rsi Lokanatha & Ida Rsi Gayatri
https://youtu.be/vpp3qC5lyvc

Basically the words of that one say "my obeisances to the primordial Lord of the Universe, who is also the Lord of all creatures, the partner of Uma/Sati, the blissful Lord Shiva".

I shall conclude with today's offering by sharing a trance dance on the holiest day of the year...the Balinese New Year called Melasti which falls in March...about the same time as Maha Shivaratri:

Bali Trance Di Pura Salem
https://youtu.be/q3D94O-Y7g4

There we go...enough for today. I hope you have all enjoyed this short lesson with video accompany on the religion I love and practice myself...more will follow tommorrow and over the next month or two, to fully educate all on the history, tradition, culture and practice of Agama Hindu Dharma...and the similarities between the Balinese language and ancient Sanskrit.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 11-04-2019, 02:37 AM
janielee

Thanks, Shivani Devi.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Thanks, Shivani Devi.
You are very welcme, my sweetness.

It is the most I can do...to give all the key. I share not only knowledge, but Divine energy to all those open to receive it...to all who are ready to open their heart.

Gayatri Versi Majapahit
https://youtu.be/dvO0ZpojEF0

The Gayatri Mantra is to be found in the Rig Veda and it is, quite literally, the mother of all Hindu mantras.

The version that I have just posted, has remained unaltered for the past 1,000 years. It is the closest "true to form" version of the Gayatri Mantra, seeing as how the form of Hinduism practiced in Bali, has remained free from extermal influence since the Chola invasion of the Srivijaya Empire until approximately 50 years ago with the influx of tourism and the tourist dollar.

The Gayatri Mantra is sung in praise of Surya Deva, or the Sun God...however, it does not refer to our Star, the Sun, but to an INNER sun....the life-force or the dormant energy within each of us known as the Leviathan....the sleeping dragon, often referred to as Kundalini or Vasuki (Basuki). The term "Basuki" later became known as the Basilisk...but I digress.

I am going to give a translation of the Gayatri Mantra in the way it was meant to be translated...

ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः
तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं
भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि
धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ||

Om Bhuur-Bhuvah Svah
Tat-Savitur-Varennyam
Bhargo Devasya Dhiimahi
Dhiyo Yo Nah Pracodayaat.

There are three planes or lokas of existence which are represented in the microcosm by the human chakras and energy system within the body.

Om - That "unstruck sound" out from which, all vibration arose which created matter.
Bhuur - The lower levels of existence concerning creation and procreation which is represented and governed by the lower three Chakras - Muladhara, Swadhisthana and Manipura respectively. The main deity is Lord Brahma.
Bhuvah - The intermediate levels of existence concerning altruism, compassion, communication and expression which is represented by the middle two chakras, Anahata and Vishuddhi respectively. The main deity is Lord Vishnu.
Svah (also called Swarga or heaven) is the highest level of awareness and meditation..it concerns insight, psychic powers, enlightenment and finally liberation (moksha) from death and rebirth...from the Kaala Chakra or the wheel of time/causality. It is represented by the Ajna (Third Eye) and Sahasrara (Crown) chakras respectively. The main deity here is Lord Shiva.

The rest of the Gayatri Mantra basically describes the process for awakening the kundalini energy through focus and meditation, to guide it up through the planes of existence, from the gross levels to the more and more subtler forms of awareness and ultimately existential experience of profound bliss.

It s recommended to chant 9 malas {9 ×108} rounds of Gayatri Mantra between the hours of 4am to 6am for maximum benefit. I used to follow that up with 9 rounds of Surya Namaskar or "Salute to the Sun" every morning for ten years.

Majapahit Symbol
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...it_Diagram.svg

This is the Gayatri Mantra in symbolic form. Lord Shiva is in the middle, then surrounding those are the seven chakras, then external to those are all the elements (tattvas) in the universe, represented by their corresponding Deities (Devas)...there is Agni (fire), Varuna (water), Indra (ether/akasha) etc.

Besakih Temple
https://youtu.be/7V--5D_ofC8

This is a travelogue (V-log) of two Indian Hindu tourists in Bali.

I particularly enjoyed the way their guide, a Hindu priest explains the "levels" of temple construction, which always corresponds to an odd number...1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11...which represents each system of Chakra steps and their presiding Deity...the temples themselves represent Mt. Meru...the symbolic representation of the centre of the physical universe...which, of course, is also represented by the human spine (Meru Danda) with the Chakras threaded along it like pearls on a necklace...or tiers on a temple in this case..

1 and 11 = Sanghyang (Widhi)
3 = Lord Brahma
5 = Lord Vishnu
7&9 = Lord Shiva.

The video above is also great in explaining which aspect of God is associated with each of the cardinal points, as well as the colours...which can be matched up, again, with the Chakras (and the Gayatri Mantra).

Brahma = red, Vishnu = blue and Shiva = white.

This is about all for this lesson...please study it well and apply the teachings therein.

Tommorrow, I shall talk about King Kertanegara and the mysterious syncretism which exists between Buddhism and Shaivism. To prime you all for that one, here is another mantra..

Hyang Siwa Buddha Nama
https://youtu.be/LCWXB9kq6vA

Take care of yourselves...have a wonderful day...until tommorrow...

Om Swastiyastu
Om Nama Siway

Om Santi Santi Santi Om
Old 11-04-2019, 06:03 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
You are very welcme, my sweetness.

It is the most I can do...to give all the key. I share not only knowledge, but Divine energy to all those open to receive it...to all who are ready to open their heart.

Gayatri Versi Majapahit
https://youtu.be/dvO0ZpojEF0

The Gayatri Mantra is to be found in the Rig Veda and it is, quite literally, the mother of all Hindu mantras.

The version that I have just posted, has remained unaltered for the past 1,000 years. It is the closest "true to form" version of the Gayatri Mantra, seeing as how the form of Hinduism practiced in Bali, has remained free from extermal influence since the Chola invasion of the Srivijaya Empire until approximately 50 years ago with the influx of tourism and the tourist dollar.

---

Take care of yourselves...have a wonderful day...until tommorrow...

Om Swastiyastu
Om Nama Siway

Om Santi Santi Santi Om

Thanks Shivani Devi, you are like a diamond in the rough. Hard to spot but oh so beautiful...

I am not familiar with Hinduism but I appreciate this sharing. I am listening to the Mantra now - beautiful

Namaste,

JL
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Thanks Shivani Devi, you are like a diamond in the rough. Hard to spot but oh so beautiful...

I am not familiar with Hinduism but I appreciate this sharing. I am listening to the Mantra now - beautiful

Namaste,

JL
Thank you for saying that...it is so very kind of you and you are also a beautiful soul. *hugs*

I am very happy that you are listening to that mantra and enjoying it...this is exactly the way I first learned the Gayatri Mantra and it is an extremely powerful one.

The Gayatri Mantra represents soul awakening, rebirth and the dawning of Divine wisdom...but it is only one side of the coin, often associated with the Goddess within...the sacred feminine which gives birth to the universe.

The other side of this coin, consists of another mantra from the Rig Veda called the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra (The Mantra of Immortality). Here is a very nice contemporary rendition of it:

Chanting Tryambakam - Jro Bagus Ananda feat Palawa
https://youtu.be/x8YpN30HSgo

ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे
सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम् ।
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान्
मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात् ॥

Om Try-Ambakam Yajaamahe
Sugandhim Pusstti-Vardhanam
Urvaarukam-Iva Bandhanaan
Mrtyor-Mukssiiya Maa-[A]mrtaat ||

Meaning:
1: Om, We Worship the Tryambaka (the Three-Eyed One),
2: Who is Fragrant (as the Spiritual Essence), Increasing the Nourishment (of our Spiritual Core);
3: From these many Bondages (of Samsara) similar to Cucumbers (tied to their Creepers),
4: May I be Liberted from Death (Attachment to Perishable Things), So that I am not separated from the perception of Immortality (Immortal Essence pervading everywhere).

Very often, this mantra, the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, starts off with exactly the same bija mantras (sacred syllables) as the Gayatri Mantra does, to show the significance and relevance of that connection:

Om hroum, jhoom, saha
Om bhuur, bhuvah svah

Then the Mahamrityunjaya mantra is chanted...but the bija mantras, the sacred syllables have been dropped/omitted in latter times for ease and convenience.

There is a story behind this Mantra, which was chanted by the lunar deity, Soma Deva in praise of Lord Shiva.

According to myth, the lunar deity is the brother-in-law (through marriage) of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva was married to one of King Daksha's daughters named Sati, while Soma Deva (Moon) was married to the other 24 of them...however, Soma Deva only had eyes for one of his many wives (Rohini) and banished/ abandoned all the rest of them..sending them all back to live with their father King Daksha.

Daksha became furious and cursed the moon to slowly lose radiance until it died forever...never to shine again and Rohini was beside herself with grief, so she approached Lord Shiva who gave her this mantra to give to Soma Deva and they started chanting it together on a beach for many years....that beach became known as Somnath - the place where the Lord of the Moon is worshipped...and a Jyotir Lingam (the Light Symbol of Lord Shiva) became enshrined there as one of the 12 holiest sites in India..Suffice to say that through the chanting of the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, the curse of Daksha became mitigated to a "once per month" thing.

From the very first King of the world (Prajapati), we shall visit a more contemporary one:

King Kertanegara of Singasari
Kertanegara of Singhasari https://g.co/kgs/5Z3G4u

King Kertenegara was the most influential King of Java during the Hindu Majapahit dominance during the latter half of the 13th Century.

However, Hinduism in Java was coming under threat from two sides, the Islamic invaders from the North and the Buddhist (soft) invaders from the West.

King Kertenegara was a Shaivite (Shiva worshipper) who converted to Buddhism, but still kept his belief in God...Shiva. Thus he became known as "Siwabuddha" and created the syncretic mix of Buddhism and Shaivism, which later became immortalised in the epic poem written during the 14th Century called the Kakawin Sutasoma.

Kakawin Sutasoma
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakawin_Sutasoma

From this poem, the Kakawin Samskrit motto for Indonesia arose...

Bhinneka Tunggal Ika - Unity in Diversity

This is also representative of the whole Tantric notion of Majapahit Hinduism - "from the many, one".

Later, the Muslim invaders drove the Hindus south amd they took refuge (and diplomatic immunity) on the island of Bali, where it has remained until this day as the last bastion/stronghold of Hinduism in Indonesia amd indeed, in the whole of South East Asia.

Many years later, I came across a booklet written by Sister Nivedita of the Vedanta Society. Sister Nivedita was a disciple of Swami Vivekananda:

Siva and Buddha - Sister Nivedita
https://sfvedanta.org/books/siva-and-buddha/

Enough for today's lesson which is more historical than religious in nature, but it provides a nice backdrop to the whole story.....as does this:

Nanda Indira Dewi - Markandeya Bali Suddha
https://youtu.be/ho3wD7rhJTo

Next episode...of Monkeys and Magic...exploring the cult of Hannuman.

Until tommorrow, take care and god bless you all.

Om Namah Siway
Om Santi Santi Santi Om
Old 12-04-2019, 03:34 AM
janielee

God bless you, Shivani Devi.