Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 07-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Administrator
Cadavers are not People they are Flesh....

Hello

Watching Criminal Minds and this was how the episode started, with someone saying in the morgue "I have never worked on a real person before."

With the teaching ME saying something like.....

"Cadavers are not people ...they are things, slabs of flesh, like a stay in motel room you check in and stay for a time and check out. "

I re played this several times to make sure I was hearing it right. I honestly was quite stunned by this. The timeline is that the man was homeless and give to be a study subject for students. I too get that maybe to do that job you have to separate yourself from always being around the dead.

As a Medium I know full well that you leave your body when your life force energy and that the body is a lifeless. Yet I too know that the Spirit can linger for time to listen to what goes on or come back in to re visit their death. I wonder how hearing that said would feel ?

Is it just be being over sensitive that this bothers me ?

Is it because I work with both the living and the non living ?

Thoughts on statements like this please. Part of me wants to write the show director....

Lynn
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator
Yes it's because you work with the living (here) and those who have passed. Many people think that dead equals dead. They aren't able to see or know (yet maybe...)

When I was a little girl, the dead bodies of relatives were always brought to the home, or remained at home (if they had passed there) They were laid in a cool room, usually with the curtains drawn....think that was to stop flies getting in. They would be surrounded by flowers people brought to the room. They would have been washed by a relative, and dressed by a relative. Sometimes they would be in a coffin, and sometimes just on a bed, to await the funeral directors.
They would lay there 3-4 days. Everyone would visit them, the little children too. They would say prayers, kiss them, light candles etc.
Then there would be the day of their funeral usually 4 days later (never much more unless there had to be some sort of inquiry.) No freezer, no embalming, just the love and care of nearest and dearest. And the body was respected.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 AM
Master
I have witnessed autopsies and for the sake of sanity the person doing the autopsy, an ME or other physician, often has to remain aloft and objective to scientifically complete the autopsy.

So now I am going to get graphic, ample warning; in an autopsy they take a knife, scalpel, an cut a big “Y” in your chest, with the top of the “Y” being at the top of the chest. They peel back the “Y” to open the chest cavity, and they remove your organs, sometimes only a few and other times they remove all of them. They weigh them, run chemicals through them, shine a UV light on them, and do other tests to determine the cause of death.

They then may take a small circular saw and remove your scalp and skull cap. Then they remove your brain and weigh it. It is done with a professional attitude not to disrespect the body, but the body does not resemble a human being when they are doing an autopsy, sometimes called a postmortem examination. It is even more gut wrenching when this procedure is preformed on a baby or young child who died under either suspicious circumstances or has an unknown cause of death. Watching an infant be autopsied will stay with you all your life if you live to be a hundred.

Now everyone is not autopsied, usually only those who have not been under a doctors care recently and have no recent medical record, or those who die suspiciously or the cause of their death needs to be clarified, receive autopsies. Just because a person is shot with a gun and dies does not mean they know the cause of death. They need to know how the bullet killed that person, what organs did it pierce, etc. But my point is that the ME in the T.V. show you referenced was probably not referring to all dead people, he, or she, was probably just trying to tell their colleague that you can not personalize it when you are doing a postmortem physical exam.

Saying they are not people may be said more for those who are doing those exams rather than it is against those who have died. When I used to watch autopsies as a person who worked in the medical field, I used to say to myself “that person is no longer there.” Is this the same as saying this is no longer a person, or people? Physicians are usually in a hurry to complete an autopsy, especially in county hospitals, because morgues are seldom without corpses needing an examination. Sometimes all of the organs are not put back in the body when the exam is completed, or they may just dump the organs back into the chest cavity in no particular order; definitely not in an order consistent with human anatomy and physiology. I have also seen ME’s loosely sew up the big “Y” they made on a corpses chest because they had so many other corpses waiting, and later when the mortuary came to pickup the body organs fell out of the body onto the floor. Had this happen to me when I was an ambulance EMT picking up a body for a family to take to a funeral home; we moved the body from the morgue slab to our ambulance gurney and a lot of the organs fell out of the body onto the floor.

Yes, I am deliberately being graphic because having a personal connection with the dead is one thing and doing an incredibly aloft scientific examination of a dead body is something else. I am sure there are ME’s that view the dead as “people.” But I don’t see what you have shared as an insult. Keep in mind also that some ME’s hold spiritual views and some do not; they may be an atheist and don’t accept the belief in an afterlife. So this just might be a question about personal beliefs and what one is willing to accept. Seems I was long winded here.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55 AM
Master
people in only the looest definition of the word, a human body I mean. i wouldn't say a dead person still has a soul or consciousness, in my beliefs that leaves as soon as we die. I don't have any beliefs about people revisiting their bodies so hearing such a thing wouldn't bother me in the least.