Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 14-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Eelco

Well if we go back to the basics of mindfulness I'd like to offer the explanations of Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Mindfulness Defined

Quote:
The British scholar who coined the term “mindfulness” to translate the Pali word sati was probably influenced by the Anglican prayer to be ever mindful of the needs of others—in other words, to always keep their needs in mind. But even though the word “mindful” was probably drawn from a Christian context, the Buddha himself defined sati as the ability to remember, illustrating its function in meditation practice with the four satipatthanas, or establishings of mindfulness.

Just for ones consideration.

With Love
Eelco
Old 14-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Master
Remember mindfulness is just a step along the path. A good one but far from the true goal of Buddhism.

Mindfulness in daily life is the beginning of realization of silence in daily life.
Old 15-05-2017, 01:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Remember mindfulness is just a step along the path. A good one but far from the true goal of Buddhism.

Mindfulness in daily life is the beginning of realization of silence in daily life.

I like that last line. That is exactly how I understand this..

I had to practice mindfulness in a group situation last night more directly. There were times where sitting with myself in silence mindful of others as they were, supported this very thing. I get to notice how mindful I am more engaged directly with the whole person/s in this way and get to really practice this into a more clear realization in myself. When your open and flowing more clear in these kind of direct situations, you can be in a conscious meditative focus on what is moving in you, what can be cleared naturally in the moment. We did meditate after the engagement, and that sorted out lots, allowed me to clear out what was lingering in myself energetically and body sensation wise. I think next time I will be more open and clear through this step of mindfulness in this kind of process.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 15-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Master
Quote:
What is Mindfulness?

Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/mindfulness

It's all the same :)

It is slightly different, mindfulness is informal and you focus on the present moment, outside activities, but mindfulness meditation helps to minimize outside distractions to go within and observe and let go without judgment, it's also formal.
Mindfulness is outer, mindfulness meditation is both inner and outer. I can practise mindfulness 24/7 but I need to be sitting in a quiet place to practise mindfulness meditation.
Old 15-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
It is slightly different, mindfulness is informal and you focus on the present moment, outside activities, but mindfulness meditation helps to minimize outside distractions to go within and observe and let go without judgment, it's also formal.
Mindfulness is outer, mindfulness meditation is both inner and outer. I can practise mindfulness 24/7 but I need to be sitting in a quiet place to practise mindfulness meditation.

Eventually it becomes one and the same.
Old 15-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Eventually it becomes one and the same.

Mybe to you, but I feel the difference in my practise.
Old 15-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Mybe to you, but I feel the difference in my practise.

Nice, keep practicing and you will see eventually.

As I said earlier mindfulness is just the first step along the path of silence in meditation and life.

There is much more beyond mindfulness but I am glad you are getting results in your practice.
Old 15-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Nice, keep practicing and you will see eventually.

As I said earlier mindfulness is just the first step along the path of silence in meditation and life.

There is much more beyond mindfulness but I am glad you are getting results in your practice.

Mindfulness is a way of life, if your living in the present with complete awareness you don't look for steps along the path, you are where you are surposed to be, in the moment Beyond or behind don't exist.
Old 15-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Mindfulness is a way of life, if your living in the present with complete awareness you don't look for steps along the path, you are where you are surposed to be, in the moment Beyond or behind don't exist.

Mindfulness is still objects, your are observing your thoughts.

If you are observing a thing you are not that thing.

For instance, if you are observing thoughts that is a step outside of them.

Dzogchen teaches you that thoughts are energy, not to be outside of them but one of the stages of Shine is to be in the movement of the thought.. Be in the energy of the thought, not observing it.. beyond being in the energy is being the energy itself.

Mindfulness is far from realizing the Ground of Being or enlightenment.. but it is a step along the path of being present. A very powerful one but still a step.
Old 15-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
I like that last line. That is exactly how I understand this..

I had to practice mindfulness in a group situation last night more directly. There were times where sitting with myself in silence mindful of others as they were, supported this very thing. I get to notice how mindful I am more engaged directly with the whole person/s in this way and get to really practice this into a more clear realization in myself. When your open and flowing more clear in these kind of direct situations, you can be in a conscious meditative focus on what is moving in you, what can be cleared naturally in the moment. We did meditate after the engagement, and that sorted out lots, allowed me to clear out what was lingering in myself energetically and body sensation wise. I think next time I will be more open and clear through this step of mindfulness in this kind of process.

Very nice Nature.

That reminds me of something I do very often and I use the steps from the book Insight Dialogue.

Pause is a reminder to yourself, given inwardly, to stop for a little while. But what stops?
It’s the habit mind, the compelling intrigue of your own thoughts. So pause is a call to
stop and shift fully into awareness, into the here and now. At this moment, you may
notice what thoughts, emotions, and sensations are coursing through you, with all of their
elements of desire and aversion. Pausing can illuminate what’s happening with you as
you listen or talk to others. Pausing corresponds to meditation practice itself.

Relax is an intention you bring to the tension you find in your body when you settle into
the pause. You may notice what the tensing is related to as you feel into the tightness or
contraction with curiosity and acceptance. With a scary thought, you pause, relax, and
begin again. You let everything be and invite the part of your body that’s tense to let go.
You turn toward whatever you’re holding in your body and simultaneously toward your
mind with loving-kindness and compassion. You let it be and let it go again and again.

Open involves extending the friendly acceptance and mindfulness you cultivating in your
personal meditation practice to the external world and specifically to those you’re
engaged with in communication. It’s an agenda-free receptivity toward the external world
that may be first cultivated personally, independent of others. Opening to nature can be a
good place to begin, providing a context in which you can feel very safe in opening. You
can open to a forest or an ocean, the sky or the desert, or even a flower. Open your heart
– extend loving kindness where you like. You might go for a walk in the rain or find a
place where you can open to a star-filled night.

Trust emergence invites you to remain poised in the open space that you’ve created by
pausing and relaxing. You allow whatever may come up without rushing in to fill the
space out of some need or discomfort. Think of it as trusting that something will emerge
when the moment is right, or trusting whatever emerges, without clinging to the past or
preconceptions about the future. In social contexts, it means allowing the conversation to
form within the interaction without trying to control or manipulate it. Trust emergence is
being present, on purpose, in this ever-changing moment with acceptance of whatever
arises.

Listen deeply means becoming a receptive field that receives the words and feelings
expressed by another person. The invitation is to listen with kindness and compassion and
allow yourself to be touched by another human being. This kind of listening is patient,
nonjudging, and free from personal agendas. The attitude of listening deeply is a
willingness to feel with and experience the thoughts and feelings of another human being
without personalizing what you hear, meaning misinterpreting it on the basis of your
personal concepts or preferences.

Speak the truth
means to be honest with the person you’re interacting with. It’s straight
talk in the sense of saying things as you perceive them to be. The intention is to express
what’s useful and appropriate with attention to goodwill and without cruelty. This is the
union of mindfulness with virtue, morality, and mutuality. Is what you are saying true? Is
it beneficial? Is it kind? Is it offered in goodwill? It’s important to consider all of these
questions, as speaking the truth calls for not only honesty, but also a sincere intention not
to injure others. A helpful guideline is to consider the golden rule and speak to others as
you would like to be spoken to.