Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 PM
Master
My understanding of Dukka and suffering

dukka doesn't mean suffering in the physical way. When we work hard and our body hurts, that is physical suffering. Dukka is existential suffering. When we want something that cannot be had, that is dukka. If we want to see our self as brad pitt but the mirror is gary busey, that is dukka, a difference between expectation and reality.

Everything in this world is Dukka because we want to understand our self, we want enlightenment, and nothing in this world will show us that directly. There are many spiritual practices to help us understand our self and let go of our attachments to the world but thats as close as we get. If there was such a sure-fire method for enlightenment (experiential knowledge of self) then we'd all know about it and we'd have a lot of enlightened people!

Dukka essentially means nothing in this world can satisfy us in the lasting way. Everything that we crave in the world will only give us attachment and ego, it will give us a roller coaster of emotion but it won't give us a lasting high.

Life is dukka, means that life is not what it seems. If we did everything we wanted to in life it still wouldn't satisfy in the long and lasting way like enlightenment would. This is because enlightenment is an internal and silent realization, it can be aided by the world but it doesn't come from the world.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 AM
takso

In the eyes of the Buddha, dukkha means 'to bear with’. Any circumstances that would involve one to continue with; to persevere with; to soldier on with; to carry on with; to undertake with; to go through with would mean dukkha or suffering. In the Buddhist context, dependent nature is known as samsāra. Samsāra literally means ‘continuous flow’- referring to a repeating cycle of birth, life, death and re-birth. When there is samsāra arising, dukkha would arise concurrently.

Literally, it is not correct for one to put much attention onto the conditions of pain, anxiety, agony, dissatisfaction, joyfulness or happiness - for these conditions merely reflected as the consequences of dukkha arising. To ‘bear with’ is to suffer and the antonym of it is to ‘let go.’ So stop submitting oneself to the conditional circumstances and one would be freed, be liberated and be neutralised! Let us cure the cause, not the symptoms!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Master
Buddha taught that there are three types of Dukkha, the ' Dukkhata Sutta ' is worth reading if you want to understand what 'Dukkha' really means in Buddhism.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Master
Dukkha

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/d...a1/dukkha.html

The above contains links to Sutta's regarding 'Dukkha '
Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Experiencer

If he didnt teach how to deal with Physical pain how come I saw a video of a Buddhist having Brain surgery without anesthesia.. or that monk in Vietnam who burned himself to death and didnt even flinch or scream out in pain? Physical pain is a part of the pains that the Buddhas taught to remedy.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Master
Shivatar, I don't think that's a bad understanding, as far as understandings go, but my brief and not so deep study of Buddha and Buddhism leads me to believe that any and all suffering is ... it's all in there. One doesn't happen without the other in most cases, I believe. Human suffering, but yeah that's where I think you're more right than wrong: when the emotions come into play.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Suspended
Pathfinder

The real teaching of GAUTAMA the Buddha is observe your breath and know yourself, like all religions "Message is lost" even here .

he is the one to give the world the beauty of ANAPANASATI

Meditate by observing your breath, when you are with the breath , the mind becomes empty

No money involved
Google Pyramid Meditation , it just observing your Breath
Old 12-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim
The real teaching of GAUTAMA the Buddha is observe your breath and know yourself, like all religions "Message is lost" even here .

he is the one to give the world the beauty of ANAPANASATI

Meditate by observing your breath, when you are with the breath , the mind becomes empty

No money involved
Google Pyramid Meditation , it just observing your Breath

Are you just advertising ?
Old 13-05-2017, 03:33 AM
Suspended
Pathfinder

no my friend spreading the truth , if its advertising , why would i mention no money involved
Old 13-05-2017, 03:59 AM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
dukka doesn't mean suffering in the physical way. When we work hard and our body hurts, that is physical suffering. Dukka is existential suffering. When we want something that cannot be had, that is dukka. If we want to see our self as brad pitt but the mirror is gary busey, that is dukka, a difference between expectation and reality.

Dukka essentially means nothing in this world can satisfy us in the lasting way. Everything that we crave in the world will only give us attachment and ego, it will give us a roller coaster of emotion but it won't give us a lasting high.

Life is dukka, means that life is not what it seems. If we did everything we wanted to in life it still wouldn't satisfy in the long and lasting way like enlightenment would. This is because enlightenment is an internal and silent realization, it can be aided by the world but it doesn't come from the world.

To me, that was a very good explanation. I see a lot of truths and deep meanings in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
If there was such a sure-fire method for enlightenment (experiential knowledge of self) then we'd all know about it and we'd have a lot of enlightened people!

This part I'm not so sure about. I think there is a sure fire method. It's basically understanding ourselves. The reason we are all not enlightened is we don't have enough self awareness. Takes a lot of incarnations and experiences to get there. A lot of honest inward focus.