Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 17-06-2011, 09:01 PM
nightowl

Spiritual Words, language…

…what words or language do you use to speak, discuss or write about you spiritual beliefs? I know that much of the words and terms I use are very much Christianized. I am aware that many of the words people use are often tied to either their culture of religious systems they are familiar with. I am also aware that these words or term can cause division among those on the spiritual way. I would like to see how many of these different terms or words actually share a meaning. I would like to see where our similarities are as opposed to our differences.

Here are some words that make up my spiritual language;

God, Spirit, Awen, Great Spirit, Source, Higher Power
Angels, spirits, guides, saint, ancestors, messengers
Death, afterlife, other side, beyond the veil,
Evil, wrong doing, perversion, distortion
Spiritual gifts, abilities, knowings
Dreams, visions, prophesy, discernment, inklings

What words are similar to your belief language? Are they written or spelled differently? Share the similarities; I would love to learn more about others spiritual language!

There are many here at SF from different countries and religions, everyone is welcome to share on this thread, please show respect and join me as we see how much we may have in common.

nightowl
Old 17-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Prokopton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
what words or language do you use to speak, discuss or write about you spiritual beliefs?

Great question!

One thing: I think differences are just as cool as similarities... the variety of languages available is very important to me... wouldn't want to use only one vocab personally. And I have always liked the fact that other people use different languages -- that can also be something interesting, rather than needing to have terms in common. Because it can show you a different context for a familiar idea.

Ones I gravitate towards right now:

1. Psychology and Transpersonal Psychology. The "I" and the Self, the subconscious, the Jungian Shadow and Anima, subpersonalities, archetypes, superconscious self.

2. Kundalini-Speak and Tao Alchemy-Speak. Chakras, tan tiens, chi, jing. The four elements, the mental-astral-etheric-physical 'ladder'.

3. Greek Philosophy, Especially Platonic. The daimon (for the inner Light), Eros and the seeking of the One. The four elements again. Mythic allegories. Mind and Soul. The gods.

4. Physiological. Nervous system, endocrine system. The role of the organs. Rejuvenation. Also Chinese-medical terms like meridians.

What I find is they all address different areas. The same process has a physical effect, a psychological one, and a pure-mystical one and so on. It was my teacher Glenn who taught me how to put it all together... energy enters a certain meridian and it opens up a certain aspect of the mythological universe etc... we are all in many worlds.

They all also interweave. The four elements are Greek -- and they're Hindu and Wiccan! The Superconscious Self and the Daimon are really very much the same. Eros has a lot in common with the Freudian id. The meridians of China are very similar to the yogic nadis. It does all link up.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Eudaimonist

Some words for me:

eudaimonia, ataraxia, phronesis, eros, psyche, daimon,
sacred, exaltation, reverence, hero-worship, ego, self,
self-knowledge, self-actualization, self-esteem, happiness

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 17-06-2011, 10:15 PM
nightowl

Prokopton,

Quote:
One thing: I think differences are just as cool as similarities... the variety of languages available is very important to me... wouldn't want to use only one vocab personally. And I have always liked the fact that other people use different languages -- that can also be something interesting, rather than needing to have terms in common. Because it can show you a different context for a familiar idea.

This is a good point. I love to hear different explanations of familiar words in other languages, they are often very rich in new perspectives and as you had mentioned context as well.

Thanks for sharing the idea of the psychological aspects of spiritual beliefs. I think that sometimes that is a lost or silent element to our beliefs. Not that we choose to ignore or hide it, but it just gets overlooked at times.

Eudaimonist,

Can you please define these for me;

eudaimonia, ataraxia, phronesis

I want to better understand what they represent to you. Thanks!
Old 17-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Prokopton

Quote:
Originally Posted by eudaimonist
eudaimonia, ataraxia, phronesis, eros, psyche, daimon,

... ah, I can see I probably wouldn't need to explain my forum name to you, Eudaimonist!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the idea of the psychological aspects of spiritual beliefs. I think that sometimes that is a lost or silent element to our beliefs. Not that we choose to ignore or hide it, but it just gets overlooked at times.

Well it's what helps that matters, there. I love psychology because it's a way in for anyone with a lot of useful stuff to get orientated, especially for those of us who are perhaps not as interested in religious belief systems. And with the number of psychologies specifically orientated towards the spiritual, it can get pretty useful as a set of methods and ideas.

I want to thank you for bringing this thread into existence; I did a lot of thinking after I first posted and this vocabulary idea really helps me to co-ordinate the different ways of looking at things that I have going on. Also loving your new avatar BTW!

Quote:
eudaimonia, ataraxia, phronesis

I'll be interested in eudaimonist's take... broadly a pedestrian translation of those might be happiness, untroubledness and prudence -- but there's so much more in the words than that... I'll leave eudaimonist to have first take... :)
Old 17-06-2011, 10:40 PM
nightowl

Prokopton,

Your welcome, thank you for responding. Words are so cool and we can miss so much when we only see things from 'our word perspectives'... I am hoping to learn so neat stuff from this thread!

So enlighten me, what does prokopton mean?

nightowl
Old 17-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Prokopton

Quote:
So enlighten me, what does prokopton mean?

It literally means, 'progressing', or 'the one who is progressing'.

It's a term from the Stoic philosophy of Hellenistic Greece. The idea is, there are people who don't try to improve themselves at all on one end of the scale, and there are people who are wise -- sages -- on the other. But if you've started to improve yourself but are not yet 'wise', you are in between the two... you are a "prokopton" -- progressing! :)
Old 17-06-2011, 10:48 PM
nightowl

Thanks, I loved this, good word!

nightowl
Old 17-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Sentientno1

'spacelessness" because there is no where THAT is not, if you need a word invent it.
Old 17-06-2011, 11:09 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentientno1
'spacelessness" because there is no where THAT is not, if you need a word invent it.

Yeah, there is much truth in this statement, many of us on the spiritual way in the present and in the past have done just that huh, invented words to describe our spiritual experiences and encounters.

nightowl