Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Ghosts & Hauntings

Old 21-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Drewcious281

3am - Deadtime

Hey all,

ive heard from numerous sources about 3am being dead time when the spirit world is most active. what is all your stories, experiances, and opinions on this? Lets start a good discussion.

As for me i notice i am constantly waking up around 3am or sometime within that hour and its when i feel the most on edge.
Old 21-04-2011, 08:22 PM
midnightstar

I usually get woken up between 4am and 6am. Sometimes it's because my cat wakes me up, other times I'm not sure why I wake up.
Old 21-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Tabitha

Doesn't apply in my case. The vast majority of the frequent instances of paranormal activity in my house (as described in my debut post) have taken place in broad daylight. The latest anything happened was at 1 a.m., but that was the exception rather than the rule.
Old 21-04-2011, 08:33 PM
nightowl

I came across this as an explanation in my search on what is called the witching hour (12 midnight). This was the sites take on 3am dead time...

"Where Did 3 a.m. Come From?

Often 3 a.m., has been reported to be a very active hour for paranormal activity.
In Catholic belief, it’s the hour when the demons mock the Holy Trinity for it is the opposite of the crucifixion of Christ, which happened at 3 in the afternoon."

This is interesting...

nightowl
Old 21-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Drewcious281

Originally when i used to watch those ghost hunting shows they all stated and conducted testing at 3am. I did further research and have heard more on that time. It started to make sense because before i even knew or heard of this when i would have my twisted nightmares or Astral Projections it was always around 3am. i remember for a week stait i would wake up exactly at 3am feeling like there was someone in my room watching me. This was before i heard it from those shows or even heard about it. A co worker said she heard it is when the gates of hell open. im not so sure about that part but thats why i started this thread.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:17 PM
nightowl

I was wondering if dead time might correspond to the darkest time in the night? Is that when there is the least amount of light being reflected in the atmosphere? It would make it easier to see energy of spirits if it is the darkest time of night. don't ya think??? Just wondering...
Old 21-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Deactivated Account
It's probably because (if we are still awake,) we are relaxed and sleepy at those times, almost in a meditative state which makes it easier for spirit to connect imo.

Spiritual Inspiration

The forum for seekers everywhere...
Old 22-04-2011, 02:26 AM
münchen444

Awesome topic, Drewcious. I’m ill, again and in a lot of pain so forgive if I ramble, but I’d like to take a crack at this. I worked in paranormal investigations for years so I have a few thoughts on this 3am hour to bring to the table and this looks like a fun and friendly discussion.

The investigations I worked on were primarily based in science and scientific equipment/measurement used, so take that for what it‘s worth (science-based, not human-senses-based). I can’t recall one investigation where any specific hour was given more scrutiny than any other hour (unless a client stated activity spiked at a certain time of day).

Before I get into specifics, I will say that, in my eyes and in the entire scheme of things, I think it is all dependant upon each individual purported haunting. Like other posters have mentioned, they do note certain times where odd or paranormal activity affects them or “spikes.” This is very common (in residual hauntings, in particular), be it three in the afternoon or three in the morning. No two hauntings are the same, although there do appear to be general similarities between them.

“Dead time,” the first time I ever heard of that, was on the show Paranormal State. It may be the group’s own personal label for that time. I’ve heard of the hour of 3am referred to countless times in the paranormal previous to Paranormal State being on-air, but never it termed “dead time,” except after Paranormal State became popular.

From a paranormal investigator’s standpoint, investigations (except where the client indicates the activity peaks at a specific daytime hour) typically occur at late night/very early morning in general, if at all possible. This is for various reasons, the most important of which are thus:

- There is less human activity occurring during these late-night hours which minimizes the potential for human-caused disturbance of recording devices.
- As Daisy mentioned: the human senses generally are more alert and sensitive when we’re in the dark (night included) rather than in the light.

HOWEVER, and Nightowl touched upon atmosphere and I would like to go into this further: there is an atmospheric byproduct and also a theory for paranormal occurrences being greater in the general time of 3am. That is heralded by (enter scary music here)…the dreaded dew…

Well, more specifically: temperature and humidity…and it’s a complicated mess to try to convey and would probably end up boring people. Let’s just say that: spirits indeed seem drawn to water and temperature may or may not also play a role, in this. Water/humidity appears to help them manifest, somehow. This is also the theory behind spirits manifesting during thunderstorms (which may bring pressure systems into the equation, as well). Not only do storms often bring rain, they can also bring lightening. And if it’s one thing spirits seem to love more than water, it’s electricity. Electricity is another thing spirits appear to be able to “tap into” and manifest from. So, going by this, a thunderstorm with lots of rain and lightning is actually the prime time to be on the look-out for spirits. Though, if all else fails and one is looking for spirits: check around on mornings around the time dew forms, roughly 3am or thereabouts.

This could also be one answer for 3am awakenings: if the atmospheric conditions are right, spirits may manifest and wake us up.
Old 22-04-2011, 02:39 AM
nightowl

münchen444,

Nice post, I forgot all about the storm significance in reference to spirit activity.
The dew theory makes sense because for years it has been believed that spirits use waterways as a means of travel, so the dew would give them a contact point. Cool...
Old 22-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Master
yeah I've heard of that too. Okay so i work part time nights at a long term care facility that has been there for over 40 years so yeah it's for sure haunted. I will say that during about 2-4am I have or feel more activity, also if I have a patient who is dying about 3-4am is when they end up dying, but only a slightly higher percentage than usual.
I think anytime is when paranormal can happen.