Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 18-10-2017, 12:24 AM
Seeker
What is Alzheimer's in a spiritual sense?

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this topic in, but in a way it relates to death and the afterlife.
More in the sense that I'm curious as to what happens to the person after the body finally gives in and ceases to function.
I expect no one to give me a straight-forward answer, but thanks for your opinion, it means a lot to me.

Why does dementia and alzheimer's happen?
What are the causes?
Is the person someone once knew forever lost? Or is it simply a temporary loss of function because the body's brain is no longer capable of conveying rational thought or memory?
What are your opinions on the disease?

Thanks for replying if you chose to do so.
Old 18-10-2017, 12:30 AM
Master
All I can say from what I've read in recent times, is that it's caused by certain environmental toxins - of which there are a few and affect the brain.

They're not 'lost' - spiritually - that's what I believe. We (our physical self) land here on earth for a time. Our spirits aren't really based in the intellect - our bodies are.

It's interesting but also very sad for the loved ones.

Old 18-10-2017, 12:32 AM
Seeker
Thank you Silver, for your reply.
Old 18-10-2017, 02:02 AM
Master
AFAIK a sticky plaque builds up in brain tissue, normally lymph carries this plaque away but when the lymph system deteriorates as in old age, it is overwhelmed and no longer effective.

There is a strong genetic link, but environmental toxins can also play their part.

Personality deteriorates alongside memory, as brain function becomes impaired. If you believe in reincarnation then the true Self will be reincarnated, if not they've gone forever.

Alzheimers is fatal, what starts as memory problems and erratic behaviours ends in loss of body function as the brain continues to deteriorate.
Old 18-10-2017, 11:32 AM
leadville

[quote=LonerWolf]I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this topic in, but in a way it relates to death and the afterlife.
More in the sense that I'm curious as to what happens to the person after the body finally gives in and ceases to function.
I expect no one to give me a straight-forward answer, but thanks for your opinion, it means a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerWolf
Why do other bodily failures occur?
Quote:
What are the causes?

Read up online - lots of info is available - are you really interested, though? Why other than as an academic exercise?
Quote:
Is the person someone once knew forever lost?

The physical person may be. Their animating spirit -their 'real' self - is not....

Quote:
Or is it simply a temporary loss of function because the body's brain is no longer capable of conveying rational thought or memory?

It's likely to be permanent in the physical body.

Quote:

You may as well ask about opinion on ANY disease.
Old 22-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Master
moms got it
askin why lovds 1s no long hear or bean 2 sea her
thn nxt or i saw thm othr day
thers 1 lady it speekss 2 thngs in mid airr she duz its k she can sea thm sum tims iv sean 1 or 2 pepel its not ther 2 but not tld no 1 id rahr keep it for hear or webs simlr 2 sf i wud
sorry if iv bean no hlp 2 u

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 23-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Master
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this topic in, but in a way it relates to death and the afterlife.

What are the causes?
Is the person someone once knew forever lost? Or is it simply a temporary loss of function because the body's brain is no longer capable of conveying rational thought or memory?

Thanks for replying if you chose to do so.

We do not use our mind as we should; in fact, most people let their mind control them instead of them controlling their mind. I have been quieting my mind and doing silent meditation for more than 40-years, and when I first began I did not trust it because I felt we needed to think to live and do things but later came to learn that you can eat, dress yourself, and do other things while absolutely quiet inside.

Most people live by their head; they think they need their memory to live a fulfilling life but when you anchor your self in your own silent deeper presence there are no thoughts, no memories, or desires. Alzheimer’s to me is just another state of consciousness. Just like when a person blacks out, that is but another state of consciousness. We humans think of consciousness as the ability to think, remember, and desire, but those are but human expressions of consciousness and there is more to consciousness than human expressions.

The biggest thing in Alzheimer’s is the loss of memory, but as I have said, we can function without memory if we have conditioned ourselves to do so, as I have in quiet meditation. Memory is about the past while desires are about the future; when living in the moment memories and desires are diminished. When centered and still inside memory and desires can be nonexistent. Again, memory is important when it comes to recognizing loved ones and knowing how to do certain things. However, if a person learns how to exist in inner silence without memory or desire, they may be able to anchor themselves in something deeper within them and be guided by that. Alzheimer's just may be another form of detachment, as practiced by many Buddhists who do not have Alzheimer's.

Memory is pervasive; it is not only something that happens in our head; the way we live our lives, sit, stand, eat, mannerisms, and other things, conditions our physical body with a sort of memory where over time we do things with our physical body without even thinking about it. Memory is not merely something that is in our mind, regardless, most people do not know their own mind, observe their own mind, or gain a modicum of mental mastery. We are all told to think the same way and if you have a different opinion others will want to criticize you for not following the status quo.

We have to learn how to stay awake regardless whether we have Alzheimer’s or not, even if we black out we have to be able to look around in that blackness and stay fully awake. This can usually only be accomplished by training; quiet meditation was the training which has worked for me. We know so little about the human mind but it is possible for us to learn about our own mind and not just go along with the majority view or what others are saying about our mind. No one should know you better than you know your self.
Old 23-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Master

There is a book on my bookshelf by Michael Nahm which I read with astonishment. Unfortunately this book is in German and has no English translation as of yet. It's called 'Wenn die dunkelheit eine Ende findet'. Or 'When darkness comes to an end'.
The book, well researched and based tells of terminal mental diseases and illnesses which lead to visions, unexplained bodily changes and all those things which are possibly related.
The main point here though is that of those alzheimer patients who are near death there is, in many cases, about one hour before the final breath a sudden clearing of the brain and the person becomes quite normal and can explain his or her final wishes, desires and love.
Maybe there is something similar in English - but it does seem as if there are other realities here.
Old 23-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Master
for me dnt need a book on it coz evry alz/dem is difrnyt 2 ech persn its got it
i no 1 thng its mentl tortsre for persn its got 2 deal of persn
i no coz mom had me torshd she did
shes is nursin faslty now

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 23-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Master

There are definite links between Alzheimer's disease and eating gluten in some cases.